Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

MilesBuzz: Canada

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 25, 19, 6:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: jerry305
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Sep 6, 17, 9:17 pm
  #4261  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 75
TD First Class Visa is FYF with 50,000 points right now.

Welcome Bonus of 20,000 TD Points when you make your first Purchase with your Card1. +
30,000 TD Points when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of Account approval1.

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...infinite-card/
JetLife is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 17, 10:10 pm
  #4262  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,329
How to use these points or what is the value for 50000 points? Never had the card.
1Newflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 17, 10:37 pm
  #4263  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: YYZ
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
TD First Class Visa is FYF with 50,000 points right now.

Welcome Bonus of 20,000 TD Points when you make your first Purchase with your Card1. +
30,000 TD Points when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of Account approval1.

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...infinite-card/

I wonder why they bolded this on the fine print.

This offer is subject to your income declaration of a minimum annual personal income of $60,000 or minimum annual household income of $100,000.
Chris101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 17, 11:04 pm
  #4264  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: YYZ
Posts: 120
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
How to use these points or what is the value for 50000 points? Never had the card.
From what I can remember 10K is like $50

Last edited by Chris101; Sep 6, 17 at 11:11 pm
Chris101 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 17, 11:31 pm
  #4265  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canadia
Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Posts: 1,933
Originally Posted by JetLife View Post
TD First Class Visa is FYF with 50,000 points right now.

Welcome Bonus of 20,000 TD Points when you make your first Purchase with your Card1. +
30,000 TD Points when you spend $1,000 within 90 days of Account approval1.

https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...infinite-card/
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
How to use these points or what is the value for 50000 points? Never had the card.

• If you redeem your reward through Expedia® For TD, 50000 points is worth $250.
• If you redeem for other travel, 50000 points is worth $200.

I'll probably apply for the card and use it for general travel credit. To me, trying to redeem through Expedia isn't worth the extra 50 bucks.


Here's the cardholder agreement:
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/docume...nfinite%20Card
Source:
https://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ba...arted/?tdtab=4
jerry305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 10:23 am
  #4266  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,510
Just got this in the mail:

Apply by 31 October 2017 for the RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum card and earn up to 30,000† to put towards your dream vacation - that is 15,000 welcome bonus, plus an additional 15,000 when you spend CAD7,500 in the first 3 months.

†Offer is available from 1 September 2017 to 31 October 2017. To receive the 15,000 Asia Miles welcome bonus, your application must be approved by Royal Bank of Canada. Please allow up to 8 weeks from the date of card issuance for the 15,000 Asia Miles to be credited to your Asia Miles account. The bonus 15,000 Asia Miles is only available when you successfully apply before 31 October 2017 and will be awarded to you if a total of CAD7,500 or more in qualifying purchases and pre-authorized bill payment transactions is posted to your RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum account within the first 3 full monthly statement periods (approximately 3 months from the date your account is opened), provided your credit card account is in good standing at the time you reach CAD7,500 in qualifying transactions. Qualifying transactions exclude cash advances (RBC Royal Bank credit card cheques, balance transfers, cash-like transactions and bill payments that are not pre-authorized charges that you set up with a merchant), interest charges and fees. The bonus 15,000 Asia Miles will be credited to your Asia Miles account within 8 weeks after meeting the spending requirement. This offer is only available to new RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum cardholders. Supplementary cardholders, as well as existing RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum cardholders as of the offer eligibility period, are not eligible for this offer. This offer may not be combined or used in conjunction with any other offer
alc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 10:50 am
  #4267  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 5,161
what is it with RBC and ridiculous spending requirements on their credit cards, good lord
Smiley90 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 11:05 am
  #4268  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,329
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
what is it with RBC and ridiculous spending requirements on their credit cards, good lord
its probably tailored for their own corporate managers ....
1Newflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 11:29 am
  #4269  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,329
Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
• If you redeem your reward through Expedia® For TD, 50000 points is worth $250.
• If you redeem for other travel, 50000 points is worth $200.

I'll probably apply for the card and use it for general travel credit. To me, trying to redeem through Expedia isn't worth the extra 50 bucks.
Thanks. One pretty well needs to keep the card longer than a year to make use if it and then annual fees kick-in. Redeeming for anything else than travel, the value collapses, like gift cards are about $125 for 50000.
1Newflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 1:02 pm
  #4270  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,770
CIBC Shoppers Optimum Card?

I'm not sure if I had a dream about this, or if I read some random conversation online about credit card wish lists, but has anyone heard of CIBC introducing a new Shoppers Optimum credit card?
pokee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 1:38 pm
  #4271  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: YYZ
Programs: Fairmont Plat, 1865 Voyager, SPG Gold, AE, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Posts: 1,309
Originally Posted by alc View Post
I have BMO World Elite MC right now that come with 4 PP passes per year. I am planning to apply for the BMO Air Miles World Elite MC that also come with 2 PP passes. So, do I just apply for another PP membership with its own membership number? will PP even let you do that? Anyone has experience that can share? Thanks.
I had two for awhile. Only problem I had is when I accidentally used the card which charged per visit instead of the free visit one. When I saw it on my credit card bill I called in and it was reversed.
allbrosca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 7:33 pm
  #4272  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canadia
Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Posts: 1,933
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
Thanks. One pretty well needs to keep the card longer than a year to make use if it and then annual fees kick-in. Redeeming for anything else than travel, the value collapses, like gift cards are about $125 for 50000.
Not sure what you mean.
My plan would be:
• get card
• make minimum spend to earn the 50,000 points
• wait a few months for points to appear
• buy something, at any merchant that counts as "travel", for $200+.
• cash in the points
• cancel card between the 6-month and 11-month point.

Did you see something that would drag the process out longer?
Is the definition of "travel" really restrictive?
imverge likes this.
jerry305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 17, 8:45 pm
  #4273  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West
Posts: 3,329
Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
Not sure what you mean.
My plan would be:
• get card
• make minimum spend to earn the 50,000 points
• wait a few months for points to appear
• buy something, at any merchant that counts as "travel", for $200+.
• cash in the points
• cancel card between the 6-month and 11-month point.

Did you see something that would drag the process out longer?
Is the definition of "travel" really restrictive?
Go for it, makes sense...
1Newflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 17, 3:16 pm
  #4274  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canadia
Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Posts: 1,933


This RBC Avion 25,000 point offer was mentioned on another thread:
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/service...ofr2-f-or.html

This offer is 25,000 Avion points. I don't see that the $120 annual fee is waived.

If you walk into an RBC branch and display a competitor's card, and say you want to switch, you should be able to get 15,000 Avion points, with $0 annual fee.

So the comparison is 25,000 ($120) versus 15,000 ($0).
Yes, it does require the time you spend at the branch to do it, though.

Also, the tiers with the RBC Avion program are:
15,000 Short-haul: Canada/United States Within or to an adjacent Province/Territory/U.S. State $350
35,000 Long-haul: Canada/United States Anywhere in Canada/U.S except Hawaii and Alaska $750
etc.

The in-branch offer gets you 15,000 points, which is right at one of the thresholds. My plan is to get my 15,000 Avion points, book a short haul flight (value $350), and call it a day with that card.

If you start with 25,000 Avion points, though, then you need to spend $10,000 more, to earn another 10,000 Avion points, to be able to use all your points.

So, if you're looking for a flight that's gonna be worth close to $750, then that might be the better option.
jerry305 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 17, 4:54 pm
  #4275  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YYZ, YVR, PEK, LHR
Programs: A3*G
Posts: 399
Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post


This RBC Avion 25,000 point offer was mentioned on another thread:
https://www.rbcroyalbank.com/service...ofr2-f-or.html

This offer is 25,000 Avion points. I don't see that the $120 annual fee is waived.

If you walk into an RBC branch and display a competitor's card, and say you want to switch, you should be able to get 15,000 Avion points, with $0 annual fee.

So the comparison is 25,000 ($120) versus 15,000 ($0).
Yes, it does require the time you spend at the branch to do it, though.

Also, the tiers with the RBC Avion program are:
15,000 Short-haul: Canada/United States Within or to an adjacent Province/Territory/U.S. State $350
35,000 Long-haul: Canada/United States Anywhere in Canada/U.S except Hawaii and Alaska $750
etc.

The in-branch offer gets you 15,000 points, which is right at one of the thresholds. My plan is to get my 15,000 Avion points, book a short haul flight (value $350), and call it a day with that card.

If you start with 25,000 Avion points, though, then you need to spend $10,000 more, to earn another 10,000 Avion points, to be able to use all your points.

So, if you're looking for a flight that's gonna be worth close to $750, then that might be the better option.
The "competitor Visa Infinite" offer is available over the phone as well. So you can apply online for the 25,000 points, then call in and ask them to waive the fee because you hold another Visa Infinite product.

Just tested this myself and it works. The $120 had already posted to my account and the rep was more than happy to reverse it. Didn't even ask for proof or anything.
flyer05 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread