Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:28 am

New BMO World Elite Mastercard offer: https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/cr...#terms-overlay

Limited time: $150 annual fee waived in the first year1

Limited time: Get 20,000 welcome bonus points1 worth $200 in travel rewards

2% back for travel on all card purchases3

VIP airport lounge access (over $200 US/year value)5

T&C
The 20,000 BMO Rewards welcome bonus points offer (worth $200 in travel rewards) and the primary cardholder $150 annual fee waiver in the first year is limited to new BMO World Elite Mastercard accounts. $150 annual fee applies after the first year and will appear on your account statement twelve (12) months after the account open date. First year annual fee waiver does not apply to the additional card annual fee. Applications must be received between July 5, 2017 and November 30, 2017 (“Offer Period”) to be eligible for this offer. This offer is not available to current or former BMO World Elite Mastercard cardholders who reinstate a closed account or open a new account. Existing BMO credit card cardholders who transfer into this product during the Offer Period are not eligible for this offer. 20,000 BMO Rewards welcome bonus points will be applied to your BMO Rewards Collector Account following the first statement after your first card purchase. If you cancel your card within thirty (30) days of account opening, the welcome bonus will be cancelled. This offer may be withdrawn or changed without notice.
BMO Rewards Program redemptions are subject to fees and charges. Please see the fees, charges and pricing policy for details.
Subject to the Terms and Conditions of the BMO Rewards Program, BMO Rewards points are calculated based on purchases of goods or services charged to the account, less any refunds or adjustments, rounded down to the nearest whole dollar. Cash advances (including but not limited to purchases of foreign currency or traveller's cheques), interest charges, fees, payments, credit or debit adjustments and any amount other than purchases that may be charged to the account, do not qualify for points. Bank of Montreal may establish other qualifying and non-qualifying transactions from time to time.
Subject to certain terms and conditions contained in the BMO World Elite Total Travel and Medical Protection Certificate of Insurance, which is sent to new cardholders; please refer to the certificate for further details. Inclusive medical coverage is only applicable to cardholders under the age of 65. BMO Mastercard insurance benefits provided by Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company (Canadian Branch) and Chubb Insurance Company of Canada.
Benefits provided by Priority PassTM†* Inc. Value of the Priority Pass membership is calculated as follows: standard membership (US$99) plus 4 free VIP lounge visits per membership year (worth US$108). Value and benefits of the complimentary Priority Pass membership are subject to change without notice.
Purchase Protection and Extended Warranty Insurance benefits provided by Allianz Global Risks US Insurance Company (Canadian Branch).
If your card is used without your authorization, you will not be liable if: you did not contribute to the unauthorized use; you used reasonable care to safeguard your card and PIN; you notify us by telephone within 24 hours if you learn of the loss, theft or misuse of your card or cheques, or after you suspected that someone else knows your PIN; you have not reported two or more unauthorized transactions in the last 12 months, and your account is in good standing. If you don't meet these criteria, you will be liable for all charges incurred in connection with the unauthorized use.
All flight options shown are estimations only. Actual number of points required varies based on the retail price of the ticket available at the time of booking.
Important details are contained in the booklet that will follow under separate cover with your BMO Mastercard. Insurance benefits provided by Chubb Insurance Company of Canada.
Points will not expire as long as the account remains open and in good standing, except as described in the section of the terms and conditions of the BMO Rewards Program (hereafter referred to in this paragraph as the "Program"), which deals with termination of the Program. Upon cancellation of the account, a cardholder will have ninety (90) days in which to do either of the following: (i) redeem the points earned for one or more rewards; or (ii) reinstate the points by either reinstating the account or opening a new account and linking the points account that was attached to the cancelled account to the new account. After the ninety (90) day period, unless the points are reinstated, any points which remain in the points account will expire. The terms and conditions of the Program are sent to new cardholders; please refer to the terms and conditions for further details.
Ongoing interest rates, interest-free grace period, annual fees and all other applicable fees are subject to change. Cash advances include Balance Transfers, cash-like transactions and Mastercard cheques. Visit your branch; call the Customer Contact Centre at 1-800-263-2263, or visit bmo.com/creditcards for current rates and fees.
Has anybody tried churning this that previously had it? I'd like to at least try but don't want to get stuck with the annual fee if it doesn't work.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ontariotraveller
Has anyone applied for the Amex Airmiles Platinum Credit Card (2000 airmiles awarded after minimum spend) a second time and received the airmiles?
I cancelled this card a year ago. I read that this welcome bonus is supposed to be only given to first time card holders but......
Anyone?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Anyone?
I've churned the Amex Air Miles Plat without issue before the new rules came in. However, my wife just signed up for another one last month, so we'll see how that goes. I'll mention something in this thread once the AMs post.

Oddly, when she signed up for the Plat via GCR she ended up getting both the Plat and the Air Miles Gold too... not sure what's up with that. We're keeping them and just doing the minimum spend on both.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: *void
Has anyone applied for the Amex Airmiles Platinum Credit Card (2000 airmiles awarded after minimum spend) a second time and received the airmiles?
I cancelled this card a year ago. I read that this welcome bonus is supposed to be only given to first time card holders but......
Wife and I have each opened this card multiple times, even after the new rules appeared (July 2015). But as with most things, YMMV.

Originally Posted by heraclitus
I've churned the Amex Air Miles Plat without issue before the new rules came in. However, my wife just signed up for another one last month, so we'll see how that goes. I'll mention something in this thread once the AMs post.

Oddly, when she signed up for the Plat via GCR she ended up getting both the Plat and the Air Miles Gold too... not sure what's up with that. We're keeping them and just doing the minimum spend on both.
She obviously has the MIDAS touch! A Greek Goddess, who trumps lowly philosophers like you, H.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
[QUOTE=JJonahJ;28531297]Wife and I have each opened this card multiple times, even after the new rules appeared (July 2015). But as with most things, YMMV

did she get the 2k bonus AM? I know there are no guarantees in the churn world but I don't really want to do the hefty minimum spend and then not get the miles!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
I just received an e-mail from Best Western, advertising that their 60'000 signup promo is back! Awesome. I think their last "big" signup promo was 80k )or was it 60 as well? I dont trcall)but 60k for a no-fee card is great either way. Not sure if personalized but here's the details:

" • Get 20,000 bonus points†† after your first eligible purchase--that's already enough points for at least ONE FREE NIGHT**
• Spend $1,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get an additional 20,000 bonus points†† OR
• Spend $2,000 or more within the first 90 days of account opening and get a total of 60,000 bonus points†"

T&C's say nothing preventin repeat signups, here's the link:
https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationfor...9&locale=en_CA

Just a small note that might help others.

1. I just applied for this card and was denied as I "can't hold two cards of the same product."
2. I actually closed the other Best Western card a few days ago...but
3. MBNA did not close it for me.

The agent informed me that the previous rep refunded a small amount to my bank then forgot to actually close the account.

*credit to her/them for just telling it like it is*

So, I effectively got thwarted in this application.

However, the credit department told me that I would have to wait at least 30 days to reapply anyways, as it "takes 30 days for the (first card) closure to show up on [my] credit report."

I don't know if this is the case, but this is what I was told.

NOTE: When I was able to finally close my original Best Western Rewards card today I was given a confirmation number of 7 digits. I now know to ask for one of these when I close an account in the future.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
She obviously has the MIDAS touch! A Greek Goddess, who trumps lowly philosophers like you, H.
Haha... that's pretty smooth... I will have to cite this next time I bother her with more applications I want her to fill out
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by alexteacher

1. I just applied for this card and was denied as I "can't hold two cards of the same product."

The agent informed me that the previous rep refunded a small amount to my bank then forgot to actually close the account.

However, the credit department told me that I would have to wait at least 30 days to reapply anyways, as it "takes 30 days for the (first card) closure to show up on [my] credit report."

NOTE: When I was able to finally close my original Best Western Rewards card today I was given a confirmation number of 7 digits. I now know to ask for one of these when I close an account in the future.
Interesting. Thanks for the data point. I just got a MBNA BW a couple of months ago at 40K, thought I'd pull the handle again but based on this I think I might just leave it alone. Looks like MBNA is closing the door on multiples?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:44 am

@JJonahJ- how you been buddy? Hope things are good. Have you churned these cards more than once before?

BMO World Elite Mastercard?
TD All inclusive Banking Plan?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by alexteacher

@alexteacher , sorry to hear. I tried to give a warning about MBNA's newer policies regarding duplicate cards, from a couple of weeks ago. I won't quote all of them, but start reading the posts from around here.

Myself, I was lucky last year that they closed my older existing card and gave me the new one anyways. Sad they couldn't do it for you as well. I know you've mentioned some quick turnaround times between cancel/re-apply in the past. Better to try and stick to a 30-90 day wait period from now on, I suppose.

@flyer05 , you were looking for a datapoint for the MBNA BWR cards, well here you go. Multiple/duplicate cards of the same product are getting muted by MBNA.

====
In somewhat related news...

I proactively closed my BWR MC 3 months ago, in anticipation of signing up for another one. I was approved last week, but here's another (repeated) datapoint from me. MBNA chose to lower the limit on one of my other existing MBNA cards, without any notification/warning. This card was at $11K limit, now down to $1K. I like to keep higher limits just in case I need to shift limits around to open a declined application, as a safety net. So for this purpose I usually will consolidate the limits onto other existing cards when I request to close them. Now they are quietly taking this Plan-B away, by lowering the limits without telling me first. At one time I had a total limit close to $50K combined for all of my MBNA cards. Oh well, that's the way the wind blows nowadays.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Chris101
@JJonahJ- how you been buddy? Hope things are good. Have you churned these cards more than once before?

BMO World Elite Mastercard?
TD All inclusive Banking Plan?
Sorry Chris, I have not.

I opened the BMO World Elite MC once only, when it was 30K/FYF (2014?). Haven't tried to churn it since as I'm not a huge fan of it. Since I opened it as FYF (and I don't have their premium chequing account to waive the fees), I was on a timer to use the points, or lose them, so that left a bad taste in my mouth, due to the fact that I had already laid out much of my travel plans well in advance, so I was using up the BMO Rewards points for things like hotels and rental cars. I did not like having to book through their Rewards site either, and being met with a rep who wouldn't waive the booking fee when I had a 15% AC discount code to use on flights (meanwhile many people told me they will waive it, easily).

TD Bank All Inclusive. They won't give me their new account promos because I'm not a new client, so skweww 'em. Never opened.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:08 pm

TD Bank All Inclusive. They won't give me their new account promos because I'm not a new client, so skweww 'em. Never opened.
I just saw a promo for CIBC until Aug 31. Same as TD...open an account put 3K minimum and get $300 and do (recurring direct deposit or 2 pre-authorized payments each month)
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:11 pm

@alexteacher , sorry to hear. I tried to give a warning about MBNA's newer policies regarding duplicate cards, from a couple of weeks ago. I won't quote all of them, but start reading the posts from around here.

Myself, I was lucky last year that they closed my older existing card and gave me the new one anyways. Sad they couldn't do it for you as well. I know you've mentioned some quick turnaround times between cancel/re-apply in the past. Better to try and stick to a 30-90 day wait period from now on, I suppose.

@flyer05 , you were looking for a datapoint for the MBNA BWR cards, well here you go. Multiple/duplicate cards of the same product are getting muted by MBNA.

====
In somewhat related news...

I proactively closed my BWR MC 3 months ago, in anticipation of signing up for another one. I was approved last week, but here's another (repeated) datapoint from me. MBNA chose to lower the limit on one of my other existing MBNA cards, without any notification/warning. This card was at $11K limit, now down to $1K. I like to keep higher limits just in case I need to shift limits around to open a declined application, as a safety net. So for this purpose I usually will consolidate the limits onto other existing cards when I request to close them. Now they are quietly taking this Plan-B away, by lowering the limits without telling me first. At one time I had a total limit close to $50K combined for all of my MBNA cards. Oh well, that's the way the wind blows nowadays.
Useful info as always JJ! Guess that means I need to rid myself of my existing 2 BW cards in order to ever get a new one... does MBNA allow product switches?
Old Jul 7, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
I just saw a promo for CIBC until Aug 31. Same as TD...open an account put 3K minimum and get $300 and do (recurring direct deposit or 2 pre-authorized payments each month)

Link to offer...

Earn $300*!
Open a CIBC Smart™ Account
https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/cibc-smart.html
Terms:
https://www.cibc.com/content/dam/per...aug2017-en.pdf

Note:
Deadline is actually August 25, unless you open the account in person at branch.

Last edited by jerry305; Jul 7, 2017 at 3:04 pm
Old Jul 7, 2017, 2:02 pm

Thanks Chris. I got the $300 new account promos for both RBC and CIBC last year. I was due to shut down the CIBC account at end of May, but didn't get around to it, so I think I won't be eligible for this new CIBC promo. Do you know the terms? Can I close down the account today, and then open it again in Aug, and still qualify for the $300?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.