FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MilesBuzz: Canada
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2017, 12:11 pm
flyer05

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
@alexteacher , sorry to hear. I tried to give a warning about MBNA's newer policies regarding duplicate cards, from a couple of weeks ago. I won't quote all of them, but start reading the posts from around here.

Myself, I was lucky last year that they closed my older existing card and gave me the new one anyways. Sad they couldn't do it for you as well. I know you've mentioned some quick turnaround times between cancel/re-apply in the past. Better to try and stick to a 30-90 day wait period from now on, I suppose.

@flyer05 , you were looking for a datapoint for the MBNA BWR cards, well here you go. Multiple/duplicate cards of the same product are getting muted by MBNA.

====
In somewhat related news...

I proactively closed my BWR MC 3 months ago, in anticipation of signing up for another one. I was approved last week, but here's another (repeated) datapoint from me. MBNA chose to lower the limit on one of my other existing MBNA cards, without any notification/warning. This card was at $11K limit, now down to $1K. I like to keep higher limits just in case I need to shift limits around to open a declined application, as a safety net. So for this purpose I usually will consolidate the limits onto other existing cards when I request to close them. Now they are quietly taking this Plan-B away, by lowering the limits without telling me first. At one time I had a total limit close to $50K combined for all of my MBNA cards. Oh well, that's the way the wind blows nowadays.
Useful info as always JJ! Guess that means I need to rid myself of my existing 2 BW cards in order to ever get a new one... does MBNA allow product switches?