MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by imverge
This is the response I received today when my GCR rebate didn't show up:

MBNA has completed their investigation for inquiries submitted last month. They did not approve your missing transaction inquiry because you had a prior Alaska card at MBNA. MBNA offers a rebate for new Alaska card clients only. It is stated on the MBNA page on our site.
I got the $60 rebate from GCR automatically, in June. It's my 3rd time applying. But last year when I applied, I did not get the $60 GCR automatically, and when I contacted them they issued it within a week, no mention of the fact that it was already my second time. They must be getting more restrictive now.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Chris101
Just seen this today.

TD Cash Back Visa Infinite* Card

Welcome Bonus: Earn 6% in Cash Back Dollars on grocery purchases, gas purchases and regularly recurring bill payments for the first 3 months to a total spend of $3500.
Plus, for a limited time, get a full Annual Fee rebate for the Primary Cardholder for the first year.

Earn 3% in Cash Back Dollars on eligible grocery Purchases and gas Purchases, and on regularly recurring bill payments set up on your Account
Earn 1% in Cash Back Dollars on all other Purchases made with your Card
I received an offer by mail, saying they will give 6% cash back on EVERYTHING for the first 3 months, but capped at $3500.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Welcome Bonus: Earn 6% in Cash Back Dollars on grocery purchases, gas purchases and regularly recurring bill payments for the first 3 months to a total spend of $3500.
Plus, for a limited time, get a full Annual Fee rebate for the Primary Cardholder for the first year.

Earn 3% in Cash Back Dollars on eligible grocery Purchases and gas Purchases, and on regularly recurring bill payments set up on your Account

Originally Posted by WKnight
I received an offer by mail, saying they will give 6% cash back on EVERYTHING for the first 3 months, but capped at $3500.
Okay, then. If it's ANY kind of spend,
Here's how I measure this card:
6% on the first $3500 of any kind of spend
- 2% (the value that I would get elsewhere on that spend anyway)
= 4% x $3500 = $140 value

But, the Terms & Conditions on TD's website are clear that 6% is only for gas + groceries + recurring merchant categories. Does your email show different Terms?

If it's indeed 6% on any kind of spend, then this card is good enough for me.
But I'd need to see those Terms on my application.

Last edited by jerry305; Jul 17, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:36 pm

Eagerly waiting for the MBNA BW I applied just over 2 weeks ago. How long does it normally take to get the card in the mail?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
can u buy this esso card at gas station do u know ? i did at xmas time for same deal but was only on at xmas time
Nope, this is only from this affiliate website.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Eagerly waiting for the MBNA BW I applied just over 2 weeks ago. How long does it normally take to get the card in the mail?
around 2 weeks normally. Waiting for mine too. I signed up July 7th.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Datapoint: My application for a BW Card with the renewed offer was declined, in the letter I received it explicitly stated it was because I already had a BW Credit Card. So it seems definitely like the Alaska card, MBNA is tightening things to 1 card of each kind at a time.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Datapoint: My application for a BW Card with the renewed offer was declined, in the letter I received it explicitly stated it was because I already had a BW Credit Card. So it seems definitely like the Alaska card, MBNA is tightening things to 1 card of each kind at a time.
This happened to me, turns out my MBNA app double submitted and my first one was approved.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:46 pm

Thank you. I did already see 20,000 Best Western points earned attached with my first purchase with the card, plus the small additional points I've been earning with regular spending. I was wondering if the next tiered 20,000 points for spending $1000 within 90 days would appear right away, or do I need to wait for the full 90 days. I suppose I can find out once I reach $1000 in spending, later this week.
It varied for me in the past. sometimes as soon as the target is hit, other times on 3rd or 4th statement.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
Originally Posted by jerry305

Okay, then. If it's ANY kind of spend,
Here's how I measure this card:
6% on the first $3500 of any kind of spend
- 2% (the value that I would get elsewhere on that spend anyway)
= 4% x $3500 = $140 value

But, the Terms & Conditions on TD's website are clear that 6% is only for gas + groceries + recurring merchant categories. Does your email show different Terms?

If it's indeed 6% on any kind of spend, then this card is good enough for me.
But I'd need to see those Terms on my application.

+1 Would only be worth it if the promo was on all purchase, not just gas/groceries etc.

I called and asked if there is any promo like this and the rep was pretty confident that its gas grocery etc
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Talking

Link to offer...

Earn $300*!
Open a CIBC Smart™ Account
https://www.cibc.com/en/special-offers/cibc-smart.html
Terms:
https://www.cibc.com/content/dam/per...aug2017-en.pdf

Note:
Deadline is actually August 25, unless you open the account in person at branch.
I applied for this account. Whole process took about 15 minutes.
Doing a pre-authorized payroll deposit is sufficient to satisfy the terms of the offer. Many payroll providers can issue your paycheque in two amounts. So I've asked my payroll provider to pay $100 into this account twice a month, and the remainder of my paycheque going into my main bank account. Easy.

The CIBC account manager emphasized that I need to keep the account open for "three whole months". I think he is quite used to churners opening these accounts.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:15 am

I applied for this account. Whole process took about 15 minutes.
Doing a pre-authorized payroll deposit is sufficient to satisfy the terms of the offer. Many payroll providers can issue your paycheque in two amounts. So I've asked my payroll provider to pay $100 into this account twice a month, and the remainder of my paycheque going into my main bank account. Easy.

The CIBC account manager emphasized that I need to keep the account open for "three whole months". I think he is quite used to churners opening these accounts.
Was there a hard pull?

Edit: Went to apply and saw. "If you don't meet any of the qualifications or conditions, or don’t consent to a credit check, please visit a CIBC Banking Centre."
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by coleworld
+1 Would only be worth it if the promo was on all purchase, not just gas/groceries etc.

I called and asked if there is any promo like this and the rep was pretty confident that its gas grocery etc
The offer to "Earn 6% in Cash Back Dollars on all purchases made in the first 3 months of Account opening, to a total maximum spend of $3,500" came in the paper mail. Maybe it's too new and the TD reps are not yet familiar with it?

Last edited by WKnight; Jul 20, 2017 at 7:38 am
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
It varied for me in the past. sometimes as soon as the target is hit, other times on 3rd or 4th statement.
Thanks. I do see the initial 20,000 points in the MBNA Rewards Earning Activity page, and it is tied to the first purchase that I made. I have now surpassed the first $1000, but there is no additional 20,000 tied to the spending that put me over. I did have a small refund, but it's still totaling up to more than $1000. Maybe I'll see the points when the first statement closes.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
The offer to "Earn 6% in Cash Back Dollars on all purchases made in the first 3 months of Account opening, to a total maximum spend of $3,500" came in the paper mail. Maybe it's too new and the TD reps are not yet familiar with it?
Thanks! Is there any offer code or anything like that in your letter?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.