Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by JetLife
For the BMO AIR MILES World Elite: https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/cr...te-mastercard/

How do we get the lounge passes and priority pass membership? I received the card recently and didn't see anything in the welcome package about it. I did throw it out quickly though so maybe I missed it? Any way I can still get it?
At the back of one of the booklets that came with the welcome package there is a code that you use when calling up Priority Pass, to activate your membership with the 4 free credits for lounge access. That's how it worked the last time I got this promo. If you've tossed it, and I'm sure many people do, you'll need BMO to re-issue a new code for you. Not sure how convoluted that exercise will be.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Aug 31, 2017 at 2:41 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
At the back of one of the booklets that came with the welcome package there is a code that you use when calling up Priority Pass, to activate your msg with the 4 free credits for lounge access. That's how it worked the last time I got this promo. If you've tossed it, and I'm sure many people do, you'll need BMO to re-issue a new code for you. Not sure how convoluted that exercise will be.

Also, It is only valid for a year from the time you activate your card.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Chris101
Also, It is only valid for a year from the time you activate your card.
Heh, thanks Chris.

Also, the PP membership doesn't have to be enrolled in the name of the cardholder. Useful to gift it to someone if you're traveling in F/J and won't need this benefit.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Aug 31, 2017 at 2:42 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:14 pm

Thanks gents. I called in to BMO and they gave me the invitation code which I used to join PP.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:46 pm
alc

PP membership from BMO

I have BMO World Elite MC right now that come with 4 PP passes per year. I am planning to apply for the BMO Air Miles World Elite MC that also come with 2 PP passes. So, do I just apply for another PP membership with its own membership number? will PP even let you do that? Anyone has experience that can share? Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold
Marriot Visa

I was wondering if the Marriot Visa is dead? It appears the 50k referal link is not working and trying the normal 30k links are not working also.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by ntle
I was wondering if the Marriot Visa is dead? It appears the 50k referal link is not working and trying the normal 30k links are not working also.
Hm.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Rocketmiles promo has returned.

Rocketmiles is a third party hotel booking site. Instead of trying to provide discounted hotel rates, they provide hotels at normal rates but increased alrline miles.
Current promo is 4,000 Aeroplan bonus miles on your first booking.

So if you're booking a simple 1-night hotel stay, you can earn 4,000 Aeroplan miles quite easily. Check the rates against other sources; you can probably get a better rate elsewhere. But, hey, 4000 miles!

Here's a link from Aeroplan's website.
Promo code is aeroplanbonus

Credit to rewards canada blog for pointing this one out.

Oddly, the Aeroplan website currently says this:
This specific promotion has ended.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ntle
From the Marriott forum:
Originally Posted by imverge
According to my contacts at Marriott International Canada, effective September 5th, 2017, no new customer applications are being accepted into the credit card program, but existing card members will continue to be serviced. Note that this only applies to applications in Canada and does not impact the US program.

If you applied before September 5, 2017 and your application is still pending, your application will still be considered for approval.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by jerry305
Rocketmiles promo has returned.

Rocketmiles is a third party hotel booking site. Instead of trying to provide discounted hotel rates, they provide hotels at normal rates but increased alrline miles.
Current promo is 4,000 Aeroplan bonus miles on your first booking.

So if you're booking a simple 1-night hotel stay, you can earn 4,000 Aeroplan miles quite easily. Check the rates against other sources; you can probably get a better rate elsewhere. But, hey, 4000 miles!

Here's a link from Aeroplan's website.
Promo code is aeroplanbonus

Credit to rewards canada blog for pointing this one out.

Oddly, the Aeroplan website currently says this:
This specific promotion has ended.
Isn't rocketmiles almost never worth it to use, since they also mark up the hotels over source to pay for the few miles they award?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:32 am

has anyone got the 25000 points with amex starwood sign up that had card before , i had a few of them over the yrs and thinking about getting it again , my last card i had was almost yr ago , thought i read somewhere amex cracking down on if u had card before with the points.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
has anyone got the 25000 points with amex starwood sign up that had card before , i had a few of them over the yrs and thinking about getting it again , my last card i had was almost yr ago , thought i read somewhere amex cracking down on if u had card before with the points.
You should be fine, obviously it's YMMV but I've gotten 100% of my AMEX bonuses since churning in 2012
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:55 am

was going to go through great can rebates to get $30 back for this card , just fig with marriot card gone from what i read on here , i better get some starwoods pts , can convert to marriot if i need some
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
It's definitely a new game with Amex these days. More and more people reporting of not getting instant approval, applications being pulled aside for further review, and many churners reporting that the back-office deemed that they were reapplying too soon. So, YMMV is even more bigger font than ever since I started churning. Applying for Amex cards used to be so easy and smooth, like a hot knife through butter. Looks like Amex is starting to turn the fridge temperature lower.

Here's one recent post about the new-age Amex, in the 2017 thread:
Originally Posted by agjil
Their applications were not instantly approved and they received the usual "your application is being reviewed so please wait for up to 10 days" response after submitting the application.
When this happens one can call the new application department to follow up with the application, and usually AmEx will ask a few questions and then approve the application if there's nothing wrong with your credit.
However, this time when they called in to inquire about their applications status, all of them were told their applications were being reviewed by an "executive team", and the new application department phone reps cannot approve their application before the executive team finishes the review, so they need to wait a few days for a decision to be made by the executive team.
(IIRC the new application department reps used to be able to approve applications themselves.)
So they waited a few days and received phone calls from AmEx and were told their applications could be approved if they wanted but they would not be getting the welcome bonus.

Last edited by JJonahJ; Sep 6, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Isn't rocketmiles almost never worth it to use, since they also mark up the hotels over source to pay for the few miles they award?
That's why I said:
"Check the rates against other sources; you can probably get a better rate elsewhere."

I intend to use Rocketmiles. Once. Just to get the 4000 bonus Aeroplan miles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.