MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I just booked a trip to Europe for 230000 points and $600 for 2 in J with 3 stops.
Like you said, its all depends on our needs at the time. I did not need to convert at this time and will be using hotel points I have for stay at stops. If I had shortage of points I would have transfer to Aeroplan and pay for hotels.
Yeah, this was exactly our plan for our Aeroplans for our family - to do a Europe trip in 2-3 years. Sadly, the demise of Aeroplan has squashed that plan, and we instead opted to burn them on a flight to Hawaii next spring (which isn't great value for us in the west, but we kinda needed them, and they were there to burn).

So now I'm trying to convince hubby to turf his TD Aeroplan card, since it's effin useless now. We may be able to squeeze one more free flight out of it before the end of Aeroplan, but we'll see...
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
Yeah, this was exactly our plan for our Aeroplans for our family - to do a Europe trip in 2-3 years. Sadly, the demise of Aeroplan has squashed that plan, and we instead opted to burn them on a flight to Hawaii next spring (which isn't great value for us in the west, but we kinda needed them, and they were there to burn).

So now I'm trying to convince hubby to turf his TD Aeroplan card, since it's effin useless now. We may be able to squeeze one more free flight out of it before the end of Aeroplan, but we'll see...
Without TD and CIBC or even good Amex Aeroplan cards bonuses, it tough to collect 1100-115 K per person now days.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:27 am

for Avion/Airmiles points redeem flight, which CC will cover flight delay? my understanding is AMEX won't cover?

Thanks!
Old Aug 13, 2017, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by ecgz88
for Avion/Airmiles points redeem flight, which CC will cover flight delay? my understanding is AMEX won't cover?

Thanks!

RBC Avion: flight delay is covered for trips that you buy on the card. I didn't see anything about insurance on trip redemptions.

Air Miles: check the Air Miles MasterCard terms.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by WKnight
I signed up for the 60,000 promo, so not sure if this applies for the 40,000 promo.

I got the 20,000 posted right after my first purchase, as witnessed at the MBNA Rewards site. Plus my first statement has cycled, and the points were transferred from MBNA to BestWestern.com by the NEXT day, so that's great.

But, I've now surpassed the first $1000, which should merit another 20,000, but unlike the initial 20,000, this middle-tier bonus has not appeared at MBNA Rewards site, so it's unlikely I'll get the points into BW.com after my 2nd statement closes. I expect the same after my second $1000 (total $2000) has been spent. It will probably not be awarded until at least the 3rd statement.
Surpassed the $2000 spending mark. But, I haven't seen any additional points yet, still just the original 20,000 after first purchase.

At the rewards page I see I've earned 22,305 points. Removing the 20,000 welcome bonus, this means I've earned 2,305 points or in other words over $2000 spent (1 pt per $1).

Now just have to wait for my 2nd statement to generate and I'll see if the final 40,000 points are awarded.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Surpassed the $2000 spending mark. But, I haven't seen any additional points yet, still just the original 20,000 after first purchase.

At the rewards page I see I've earned 22,305 points. Removing the 20,000 welcome bonus, this means I've earned 2,305 points or in other words over $2000 spent (1 pt per $1).

Now just have to wait for my 2nd statement to generate and I'll see if the final 40,000 points are awarded.
Last time I used the 60k promo, I got the first 20k after first purchase and the remaining 40k after 3 months statement, so even if you don't get it after the 2nd don't fret. "spend requirement" and "first purchase requirement" are evidently handled differently.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Last time I used the 60k promo, I got the first 20k after first purchase and the remaining 40k after 3 months statement, so even if you don't get it after the 2nd don't fret. "spend requirement" and "first purchase requirement" are evidently handled differently.
I hope so. I met $2000 before the first cycle, no extra points. See what happens on next statements.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: *void
My wife just got the MBNA Best Western card, for the 60K promo after $2K spending. Very fast delivery time, relatively speaking. Applied on a Saturday, application did the spinning wheel-wait-for-result thing, but it never stopped spinning, even after 2 hours (man, my eyes were tired...hypnotic). She called about it a few days later, and the rep said it was approved already. Card arrived in 6 business days.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/cr...te-mastercard/

New BMO Airmiles MC Welcome offer:

"Welcome offer: Get up to 3,000 AIR MILES Bonus Miles plus a Companion Flight Rebate, and we’ll waive the $120 annual fee in the first year - our best offer!"

"Receive 1,000 Bonus Miles after your first purchase using your Credit Card. Receive an additional 2,000 Bonus Miles when you spend a minimum of $3,000 (less refunds and excluding cash advances, cash-like transactions, interest charges, fees, credit or debit adjustments) on purchases using the Credit Card within the first three (3) months from the Credit Card open date"

"Companion Flight Rebate Offer: To be credited the Dream Miles for your Companion flight ticket, you must book any two flights (one way or return) for travel anytime (subject to availability from participating suppliers at the time of booking) through airmiles.ca using your Dream Miles before November 30, 2018. Both flight tickets must be booked in the same transaction, and on the same itinerary (both flights must be travelling on the same day, departing from the same location in Canada, and arriving to the same destination). You must have accumulated a sufficient balance of Dream Miles in your Collector Account to use for both flights in the same transaction to be eligible for this Offer. You will be credited the number of Miles back into your Dream Account that is equal to one flight ticket (excluding all taxes, fees and applicable surcharges) within 45 days after your flight booking."

"Annual Fee Waiver Offer: The primary cardholder annual fee of $120 will be waived for the first year."
heraclitus likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait

Nice find!

I value Air Miles at about 10 cents, so for about $300 in value, and FYF, this is a no-brainer for me.

If your usual browser is like mine, and doesn't allow you to open the links to the T&C, here they are:
https://www.bmo.com/pdf/airmiles-world-elite-en.pdf
... and the third link for "AIR MILES Rewards Terms and Conditions" appears to have the wrong URL.

BMO has prevented previous cardholders from getting repeat bonuses.
As a previous BMO Air Miles MC cardholder, I wonder if they'll impose a limit here too.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by jerry305
As a previous BMO Air Miles MC cardholder, I wonder if they'll impose a limit here too.
That's ominous. Is that a firm rule or is it a bit like Chase which has a "no churning" reputation but it's a given you will get a second bonus if you wait a full year between closing a card and then opening another one?

Great deal otherwise. I love Air Miles for North American flights, it's a good way to do those short-haul trips without having do dig into my Aeroplan stash
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Nice find!

I value Air Miles at about 10 cents, so for about $300 in value, and FYF, this is a no-brainer for me.

If your usual browser is like mine, and doesn't allow you to open the links to the T&C, here they are:
https://www.bmo.com/pdf/airmiles-world-elite-en.pdf
... and the third link for "AIR MILES Rewards Terms and Conditions" appears to have the wrong URL.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a BMO MC account and I've transferred to different cards over the years, but I've never held the Elite BMO AM MC, so wondering if I'd get the bonus or the FYF? I'm going to call to find out.

I have had this MC account for over 20 years now - not sure how I keep it going because I never use it anymore! It's been almost 2 years since I charged anything on it!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I was thinking the same thing. I have a BMO MC account and I've transferred to different cards over the years, but I've never held the Elite BMO AM MC, so wondering if I'd get the bonus or the FYF? I'm going to call to find out.

I have had this MC account for over 20 years now - not sure how I keep it going because I never use it anymore! It's been almost 2 years since I charged anything on it!
I have an older BMO MC Cashback card. Last month I asked if I could convert this to the BMO World Elite MC, with the 20K first year free, but the reps (called twice) told me that since I already the World Elite before (2014) that I would not be eligible for the promotion. Both reps pointed to the online terms to ensure I read the notes about this. I debated if I should just apply for a new card, instead of converting the existing card, but was soured enough that I didn't bother.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:41 am

I have an older BMO MC Cashback card. Last month I asked if I could convert this to the BMO World Elite MC, with the 20K first year free, but the reps (called twice) told me that since I already the World Elite before (2014) that I would not be eligible for the promotion. Both reps pointed to the online terms to ensure I read the notes about this. I debated if I should just apply for a new card, instead of converting the existing card, but was soured enough that I didn't bother.
Yes, I've held the World Elite MC before, and have been told this.

BUT - the Air Miles World Elite MC is a different card/different program - so it should be okay to switch to this card and get the bonus if you've never held it before. It just depends if the offer is only valid for 'new applications' - the T&C are a little fuzzy on this. I guess it also depends on if they see the 'World Elite' card to be the same card no matter if Airmiles or not...
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:36 am

New BMO Airmiles MC Welcome offer:

"Welcome offer: Get up to 3,000 AIR MILES Bonus Miles plus a Companion Flight Rebate, and we’ll waive the $120 annual fee in the first year - our best offer!"

"
This is a great offer for a short mini get away in canada. I seen this 2 weeks back but I did not know about the Companion Flight Rebate. FYI: Expire Nov 30, 2017 minimum spend 3K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.