Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Express Gold 10,000 points per 15 transactions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:03 pm

Programs: HHonorsDiamond
Originally Posted by SameDay
I was turned down. She noted I had the 75k bump on my account and that one was better than the one I mentioned. I got my card 2 weeks ago in July.
Hmm...I wonder if they are looking at this closer or what. I added it last night to my account. Opened in May....also got the 75K bump but the rep didn't say anything about this. I have already been working on my 15 transactions since he added the promo! Makes me wonder what will happen come next month when I ask about it.

Wonder if they will deny me even though I was told I could get it. I will be pretty ticked off because I could have been making these charges on my Sapphire preferred instead!! Am Ex is my secondary card for Costco and such....
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sargenet
Hmm...I wonder if they are looking at this closer or what. I added it last night to my account. Opened in May....also got the 75K bump but the rep didn't say anything about this. I have already been working on my 15 transactions since he added the promo! Makes me wonder what will happen come next month when I ask about it.

Wonder if they will deny me even though I was told I could get it. I will be pretty ticked off because I could have been making these charges on my Sapphire preferred instead!! Am Ex is my secondary card for Costco and such....
My 3rd call. This rep initially said it was automatic on all GLD cards but I wanted him to notate it to make sure... he then went to research and came back to tell me the July 1st date. He went on to say even notated it may not be honored when one calls back after fulfill the requirement...

Since 15 transactions are not hard to do I would do it anyway for the 1st month and see how far you get. Remember, it is the number of transaction that matters. There is no restriction on the amount of transaction as far as I know.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metoo
I called this morning to apply for 6664 and MR was about to add when I inquired the specific of this promo which is lst year wavied for annual fee, 15 transaction per month for 10k for lst 5 months and 15k upon signing. As this seems like a duplicate of what I am already going to get with 5985 bump to 75k , I didn't want to double dip so i asked if I could qualify for both. She said no multiple offers and I already have the best offer.

I don't feel bad not accepting 6664. I want to remain a good customer for whenever I need to call for things..All MRs have been very very good to me.
Correct. The first rep I talked to said the 6664 actually is a new offer for a new card exactly as what you described - so only one new card bonus is allowed - she cited that I have already gotten the bump up to 75K hence not qualified for the 6664.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Since 15 transactions are not hard to do I would do it anyway for the 1st month and see how far you get. Remember, it is the number of transaction that matters. There is no restriction on the amount of transaction as far as I know.
I just started a tracking sheet on my account and my husband's. Once I get to 16 I am going to stop and then call in beginning of September and see what they say. My bill runs on my account at the end of August so I will make sure it is paid and then ask about the points....

I need to call anyway to get some earned points expedited....I want to make a transfer to Continental before the partnership ends and I have points "pending" from last month...trying to get in many as I can before then...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I'm burned out

I called on this one also and the CSR also told me my 75K MR points for 2K spend is better and they are not combinable. I'm not fighting anymore. Time for a glass of cabernet.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: SPG PLAT, AA Plat (2MM), BA, UA/CO
Originally Posted by cruisr
I called on this one also and the CSR also told me my 75K MR points for 2K spend is better and they are not combinable. I'm not fighting anymore. Time for a glass of cabernet.
I agree. Three stikes...I'm out. Time for relaxing with the glass of wine and figuring out what to do with my bonus bump, Insite and authorized users miles. No complaints from me.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:06 pm

I just got my gold card last week. got the 75k bump and called in today to see if I'm eligible, the csr said yes and noted on my account. boy, b/t bankdirect debit and this one, almost 30 transactions/month. I'm getting tired just thinking about it.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
The CSR I spoke with was friendly but said I failed to meet the qualifications. He said this is for new AMEX customers only (I have a DL AMEX card), not just new Gold customers which I am (got my card last month). So I figure calling or emailing more won't help and may just get more notes added to my account that could discourage future CSRs from being generous with future promos.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:06 pm

Unhappy CSR may be instructed to xfer to MR desk

The CSR heard the promo code 6664 and mentioned that he had just transferred someone else earlier to Membership Rewards desk. He proceeded to slowly read the terms of the offer (matching the details in this thread), verified my PR Gold Card account was opened last month, and noted my account is not coded with the promo, then insisted the only thing he could do was transfer to Membership Rewards.

The MR rep did not need to ask or hear anything, immediately said that it is only for new accounts opened with this offer, a 16-digit RSVP code is required to be used when applying for the account (presumably this is embedded in the link used to apply and codes the account with promo code).

I asked for promo 5721 for 10K points per AU and was immediately told it is only for international accounts. When I asked what does that mean ;-), she said account address must be in Argentina, Brazil, etc (alphabetical list of countries?)
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by xlax
I agree. Three stikes...I'm out. Time for relaxing with the glass of wine and figuring out what to do with my bonus bump, Insite and authorized users miles. No complaints from me.
You can do what we did! I found an Am Ex travel agent in California that booked a cruise for us. Normallly you can only apply one person's MR points to the cruise but they have a way to do it on 2 accounts.... they charge half to one person and half to the other. Then submit request to Am Ex for the points to match...

So our cruise which is $2000 (including taxes, insurance and prepaid tips) ended up costing us about $500....

You can do it online through American Express but they don't offer the best pricing. AND you have to pay in full for the cruise and can only use points from one account.

This rep found us a regional deal and we only had to pay $300 deposit. We then used our points to pay the final balance...
Old Aug 12, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Sarbanes
I wasn't able to get it - the rep said it was new cardmembers only. (I got mine in May)

Do you guys think there's any downside in calling back multiple times? I wouldn't want my account to look like I'm a pain in the neck, but it'd be nice to get the 20k to 50k more if it's possible.
I called twice and was turned down both time (first time I was told it was a targeted promo and second time I was told it was only for new card members). Trying the secure message route...
Old Aug 13, 2011, 9:36 am

Called yesterday, was put on hold for quite a while, then told I would get a call back. Sent a follow-up SM last night and just received the reply -- only for new cardmembers (i.e., you dont have a card yet). I guess some people got it, but not me this time.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:07 am
akp

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Shot down

Requested the code be added via SM last night. Just received the "for new cardmembers only" response.

Worth a try. I still love Amex - lots of bennies!

Anita
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:19 am

Not many of us are having success with this code, including myself. AmEx is being very restrictive about it. It was worth a shot, but time to move on. AmEx has provided enough "Yes" to be feeling down about a "No". :-:
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:57 am

adding data point

Activated new Amex Gold Bus today and asked about 6664 but was denied because of pending SPG card. Will have to try again through email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.