Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by Tailgater
Why would, though, somebody want to pay sticker price for an automobile? Credit card or not! About the only time anybody pays sticker for an automobile is when it's a new model just released and there's a waiting line or something to be one of the first to get paws on it.
Off topic
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Shortcut?

Originally Posted by juggler451
Any thoughts on using the already a citi member shortcut?

I'm thinking I won't use it just b/c I don't want to make it any more obvious how many citicards I've had in the past, but I doubt me not using the citi member shortcut will actually avoid that fact. So, thoughts from those of you who pulled the trigger already?
Any advise on this?
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Update on business card: I got approved for the business Visa, my first business card! I faxed over a bank statement and articles of incorporation on Tuesday and got the email today. When I get the actual card, I will call and reconfirm the 100K offer on the account like I did for the personal cards. I just got a $1600 bill today I need to pay for the business and I'll just wait to put it on the card and hit the first $750 spend.

So our family got a personal Amex and business Visa for me and personal Amex for husband, all applied for after Oct. 31 using a targeted email link that expired on Oct. 31. $21K each on the biz Visa and personal Amex for me, $11K limit for my husband's personal Amex.

Thanks to this offer, there will be 200K+ miles in my account - a nice >10% boost toward lifetime Platinum. And a 100K boost toward LT Gold for my husband, and he doesn't even know what that is!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:07 pm

ATTENTION!!!!!!

I just applied for the old Oct 31st app, spend $1500 within 6 months for 75k points.. IT IS CONFIRMED WORKING. I just called the Application Department & had them read off my promotional offers, and they read it STRAIGHT back to me.

Here is the app I used, which all I did was google "Citi AAdvantage 75000". The first link is an actual Citi Bank link, which takes you directly to this specific offer.

Here is a direct link for everyone so incline: http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...F704BEED89FFA0
^
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:23 pm

newbie questions!

Okay ladies and gents, I'm new to this forum but after trying to find some "cheap" flights over the last couple of days I was directed to the Frugal Traveler and I saw numerous recommendations for this site. I did some more research and I kept seeing this site popping up so I figured I've gotta check it out! I must say I am now HOOKED!!

But I did have some questions? I checked some of the FAQ but couldn't really find what I was looking for. One of the questions deals with AA in particular so I figured this would be a good place to start. So...I have a buddy who ditched his AA card a few years back because he said that it was near impossible to book a flight with all the restrictions and what not. Is that still the case? Was he just doing it wrong? I have my finger on the trigger about ready to sign up the wife and I for the 75K mile promo but I'd hate to go through all the trouble just to find out that I can't really use the miles?

Also, is everything "fair game" as far as what gets paid? What I mean is, can I make something like my mortgage payment (my largest monthly outlay) every month on the card to reach the $4K min? Or are there certain things that "don't count"?

Thanks in advance for any help and I must say again, this site is a freaking godsend!! (Also, if I'm horribly off topic with any of this and anyone can point me to the "correct" forum it would be much appreciated as well!)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
With coins, you could have it done before March
I thought the coin thing was closed ages ago, by treating coin purchases as a cash advance, so no miles (and interest charged from day one).
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by ninjamurf
Okay ladies and gents, I'm new to this forum but after trying to find some "cheap" flights over the last couple of days I was directed to the Frugal Traveler and I saw numerous recommendations for this site. I did some more research and I kept seeing this site popping up so I figured I've gotta check it out! I must say I am now HOOKED!!

But I did have some questions? I checked some of the FAQ but couldn't really find what I was looking for. One of the questions deals with AA in particular so I figured this would be a good place to start. So...I have a buddy who ditched his AA card a few years back because he said that it was near impossible to book a flight with all the restrictions and what not. Is that still the case? Was he just doing it wrong? I have my finger on the trigger about ready to sign up the wife and I for the 75K mile promo but I'd hate to go through all the trouble just to find out that I can't really use the miles?

Also, is everything "fair game" as far as what gets paid? What I mean is, can I make something like my mortgage payment (my largest monthly outlay) every month on the card to reach the $4K min? Or are there certain things that "don't count"?

Thanks in advance for any help and I must say again, this site is a freaking godsend!! (Also, if I'm horribly off topic with any of this and anyone can point me to the "correct" forum it would be much appreciated as well!)
This is somewhat off-topic for this particular thread, but I'll bite anyway.

Anyone who thinks that miles can be used just like cash is naive and is going to be disappointed. You have to know how to play the game, by booking up to 330 days in advance and perhaps paying for a membership on expertflyer.com.

Your mortgage servicer will not accept credit card payments.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Not sure if there's another thread but just received a targeted offer for Visa or Mastercard, 40k miles after spending $1000 the first 4 months, one-day Admirals club pass, $75 annual fee waived the first year.

So I got 75k miles from the personal AA Amex after spending $1500 and stopped using that card.

I have not flown AA yet (ever) or booked either a paying or award flight yet.

I did try to get the 75k Visa offer, months after I had gotten the Amex and was rejected.

Are people jumping on this targeted offer as a consolation? 40k miles really isn't bad for the $1000 I can easily charge in 4 months but is kind of a letdown from 75k.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 5:12 pm

Welcome, ninjamurf!

But I did have some questions? I checked some of the FAQ but couldn't really find what I was looking for. One of the questions deals with AA in particular so I figured this would be a good place to start. So...I have a buddy who ditched his AA card a few years back because he said that it was near impossible to book a flight with all the restrictions and what not. Is that still the case? Was he just doing it wrong?
This is the right forum, but the wrong thread. While you may get some answers here, doing a search on the main forum page will be much more productive. (There's a lot to know about getting good use of your miles, far too much for a quick reply here. I will say, though, that booking as far out as possible (even 330 days out) tends to be much more successful, and some award types are much more plentiful then others.)

I have my finger on the trigger about ready to sign up the wife and I for the 75K mile promo but I'd hate to go through all the trouble just to find out that I can't really use the miles?

Depends on how you want to use your miles. Let me just say that most of us always find a way to put them to use

As for what counts, the answer is any charge counts. Cash advances don't, but any charge is a charge.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Not sure if there's another thread but just received a targeted offer for Visa or Mastercard, 40k miles after spending $1000 the first 4 months, one-day Admirals club pass, $75 annual fee waived the first year.

So I got 75k miles from the personal AA Amex after spending $1500 and stopped using that card.

I did try to get the 75k Visa offer, months after I had gotten the Amex and was rejected.
There is a good chance that you will be rejected for that offer (if it's for a personal card) for the same reason that your last app was rejected (already have a card). I think those offers are sent based on your AAdvantage membership without checking to see if you already have any of their cards.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 10:49 am

Will have my sister try for the 75k offer that seems to be still open.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:05 pm

Can I close the recently approved aa card after the post of bonus and re-apply the same card to receive whatever bonus again next year?
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
Can I close the recently approved aa card after the post of bonus and re-apply the same card to receive whatever bonus again next year?
Your crystal ball should be as good as anyone else's...
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:16 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by apollo_liumin
I would say the chances are about 100 to 1 that Citi will NOT be giving any bonuses to people who try to churn their cards. My guess is based on the experiences people have shared in this thread and others.

Somewhere on FT there are threads on this change in Citi's policy.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by onthego15
I would say the chances are about 100 to 1 that Citi will NOT be giving any bonuses to people who try to churn their cards.
You're betting against them not giving miles? So you think there's a 99% chance they will allow churning?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.