Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, onePass
I figured that's what he was talking about
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:06 pm

I feel like I have read through this thread 100 times already - but just to confirm - I already signed up for the personal VISA last week and got my card and am working on the $4k spend.

I am out of luck with trying for the personal AmEx but I can still go try to get the Business Visa - right?

(I might wait on the Business Visa until I finish the $4k on the personal first - as the offer is good until next February)
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by iluvthsgam

I am out of luck with trying for the personal AmEx but I can still go try to get the Business Visa - right?
That is correct.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:55 pm

Citi is asking for 2 additional documents for my "business", and ideas? They state business license, banking statement utility bill? If it is sole proprietor can I just send personal stuff?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chiefmbh
Citi is asking for 2 additional documents for my "business", and ideas? They state business license, banking statement utility bill? If it is sole proprietor can I just send personal stuff?
It can be done but largely depends on your own situation. I hope you dont make up a fancy name for your business but your own name as DBA.

Read my post 3061. For more details on how we handled the request of documentation proof, trace back the previous posts.

Good Luck.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 6, 2010 at 8:08 pm
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by chiefmbh
No, you cannot send personal stuff. The documents must have the same business name and address you provided at the time you applied. I think there were some ideas in previous posts about how you can "doctor up" documents if that's the route you want to choose.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Happy
I hope you dont make up a fancy name for your business but your own name as DBA.
Why? I have a fictitious name that I've been using for 15 years on my tax returns, and I never went through the process of registering it or getting a business license. Citi and Amex have had no problem with that name.

It seems to me the people having trouble are the ones using their own names.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
I had no problems using my own name...sent in a regular checking statement and a competitor's business cc statement.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 10:39 pm

I apologize if this was discussed previously. I've gotten my 75k points and I really don't have a need for the citi amex card anymore. Should I cancel the credit card now or wait a few months? - Does it matter in regards to credit score or future credit card issuances from Citi?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why? I have a fictitious name that I've been using for 15 years on my tax returns, and I never went through the process of registering it or getting a business license. Citi and Amex have had no problem with that name.

It seems to me the people having trouble are the ones using their own names.
Nope. We used our own names as DBA. No documentation required on mine. Citi made a request of documentation on husband's application but accepted the paperwork once they were faxed. All documents have own name(s) match with the business name on the application. At least one document is a business bank account statement with account name being own name/DBA.

The issue comes when Citi wants documentation to support the business name. Since one would not know if Citi wants to have documentation, one would be better off not to use a made-up name that has no paperwork to support its existence because if you are unable to provide the documentation requested, you are SOL.

This request of document support seems to become much more prevalent currently (it did not seem to be the case when the offers first came about in August / September). There are actual cases people are denied because they cannot provide documentations match with the business names used on their applications - no utility bills / business bank account statements / business license / other business credit card, etc in the business names as supporting documents. Oh, I even heard that Citi would not accept cell phone bills, only landline bill, and electricity bill. Why cell phone bill is not accepted? Inquiring mind wants to know...

Last edited by Happy; Dec 5, 2010 at 11:13 pm
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT (0.45MM)
Applied for both business and personal, instantly approved, but wifey's business application got denied.

Time to do some coins shopping
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by McQueen95
I apologize if this was discussed previously. I've gotten my 75k points and I really don't have a need for the citi amex card anymore. Should I cancel the credit card now or wait a few months? - Does it matter in regards to credit score or future credit card issuances from Citi?
I don't recall any posts about Citi taking any action such as clawback bonus points if you close right after you get the bonus points, but since with Citi's new rules you most likely won't be able to get another one with bonus for about a year, you might as well keep this one open until it is time for the annual fee. Should not affect your credit score either way. Don't know if it will affect future Citi apps. At this point in time, I don't plan on closing mine until they want to charge me an annual fee.

Last edited by ddallas; Dec 6, 2010 at 1:52 am
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by ddallas
I don't recall any posts about Citi taking any action such as clawback bonus points if you close right after you get the bonus points, but since with Citi's new rules you most likely won't be able to get another one with bonus for about a year, you might as well keep this one open until it is time for the annual fee. Should not affect your credit score either way. Don't know if it will affect future Citi apps. At this point in time, I don't plan on closing mine until they want to charge me an annual fee.
Rule of thumb is wait at least 6 months, better is 9, but I would say wait until just before the annual fee comes up and then call and ask for the retention center to see what they can offer you to keep you on board. If it's not that great, jump ship.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Did a quick look, didn't find my answer (I'm sure it's in this thread several times, but I don't have time to read all), so I'm going to ask. Sorry if redundant...

With the 75K offers, if one has had the particular card before under a different, less-lucrative mile offer and has since canceled, will the full 75K still be received? Both my wife and I have had a wide variety of Citi/AA cards in the past - probably most flavors - but all have been canceled and the miles we received were generally in the 25K-40K range. The most recent applications/cancellations were about 6 months ago. Should I just go all out and apply for these, even though I think we've had them in the past (my records aren't good enough to confirm precisely which flavors we've had.) I don't want to go through the hassle and then find out that we aren't eligible for the bonus miles. Advice would be appreciated.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: No preference
Originally Posted by mooper
Did a quick look, didn't find my answer (I'm sure it's in this thread several times, but I don't have time to read all), so I'm going to ask. Sorry if redundant...

With the 75K offers, if one has had the particular card before under a different, less-lucrative mile offer and has since canceled, will the full 75K still be received? Both my wife and I have had a wide variety of Citi/AA cards in the past - probably most flavors - but all have been canceled and the miles we received were generally in the 25K-40K range. The most recent applications/cancellations were about 6 months ago. Should I just go all out and apply for these, even though I think we've had them in the past (my records aren't good enough to confirm precisely which flavors we've had.) I don't want to go through the hassle and then find out that we aren't eligible for the bonus miles. Advice would be appreciated.
I wouldn't bother, but if your credit can take some inquiries then why not try it out. I would say slim to none on he personals and a hesitant maybe for the business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.