Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] AA Citi / Citibank Card, 75K sign up bonus [read post #2 first]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: UA AA and more
Originally Posted by Tailgater
Only four cards? Wouldn't you like the RegVisa for yourself, also? (just joking). This AA card is a good deal---I already have the AMEX card.

The double AMEX was mandatory for Costco...and then we each needed a visa for places that don't take AMEX.
I actually thought of getting the RegVisa for myself as well, but wasn't sure we'd reach $20K in 6 months (with BA we got to the $30K only late October) and didn't want 3 credit pulls in one day so I gave up on this one.

Do you think I can put a car on the card?
I am planning on trading in my car for $15K and buy a $27K car, fits perfectly to put $4K on each card, finishing the spending requirement of three cards immediately.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:18 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by lksf

Do you think I can put a car on the card?
I am planning on trading in my car for $15K and buy a $27K car, fits perfectly to put $4K on each card, finishing the spending requirement of three cards immediately.
Some car dealerships will allow you to put a few thousand on a credit card. There are threads on this here. Just search and you will find more info.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by onthego15
Some car dealerships will allow you to put a few thousand on a credit card. There are threads on this here. Just search and you will find more info.
You should be able to max out your card at the dealership. If the dealer tells you otherwise, they're trying to bamboozle you.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:03 am
Pup

Three or four years ago, we tried to pay for a car with a credit card, that we were otherwise going to pay cash for (~$18,000). The dealer absolutely refused, saying the credit card fee they'd have to pay would be too high. However, we threw the credit card thing in at the very end of the negotiating, letting them think we were writing a check up till then.

We ended up writing a check, but if we'd let them know we wanted to pay with a credit card earlier in the negotiations, I expect that they would have just figured the card fee into the price and not negotiated down as low. So we would have been buying miles basically for the cost of the car dealer's credit card fee.

You should be able to max out your card at the dealership. If the dealer tells you otherwise, they're trying to bamboozle you.
But for the same cost as writing a check?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Pup
Three or four years ago, we tried to pay for a car with a credit card, that we were otherwise going to pay cash for (~$18,000). The dealer absolutely refused, saying the credit card fee they'd have to pay would be too high. However, we threw the credit card thing in at the very end of the negotiating, letting them think we were writing a check up till then.

We ended up writing a check, but if we'd let them know we wanted to pay with a credit card earlier in the negotiations, I expect that they would have just figured the card fee into the price and not negotiated down as low. So we would have been buying miles basically for the cost of the car dealer's credit card fee.

But for the same cost as writing a check?
I don't expect it to cost the same as a check or cash. I realize the dealer has to pay the CC transaction fees, which is another factor in the negotiation process between the dealer and potential buyer.
What I'm saying is that there are no limits exclusive limits confined to car dealerships. They can charge your card to the limit allowed by the CC issuer, just like any other merchant.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:33 pm

How long can you close those cards? two months are too short, right?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:47 pm

I don't understand the whole CC fees issues.
ALL merchants pay these fees, when you go to the dentist to get dental implants you can easily pay $8K on those using a credit card and he will pay the fees. When you go to Safeway you can pay $2 using a CC and they will pay the fees, and the dealership sells just a few cars everyday totaling a revenue of about $100K and the local Safeway takes 2000 customers a day for the same revenue ending up paying the same CC fees. So why do one let you pay with CC with any amount and the other will make a face?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by lksf
I don't understand the whole CC fees issues.
ALL merchants pay these fees, when you go to the dentist to get dental implants you can easily pay $8K on those using a credit card and he will pay the fees. When you go to Safeway you can pay $2 using a CC and they will pay the fees, and the dealership sells just a few cars everyday totaling a revenue of about $100K and the local Safeway takes 2000 customers a day for the same revenue ending up paying the same CC fees. So why do one let you pay with CC with any amount and the other will make a face?
If you are going to pay sticker price for a car, the salesman will gladly pick up the credit card fees if you want to pay by credit card.
Old Dec 9, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
If you are going to pay sticker price for a car, the salesman will gladly pick up the credit card fees if you want to pay by credit card.
Yes, that does seem to be the difference. At the dentist or Safeway, we pay the price asked; we don't bargain and negotiate.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 1:13 am

They just opened a new safeway not far from here, we get 10% off all purchases for a month.
We can pay with CC even when it's BOGO.
At the dentist I do ask for discount, and still pay with CC...

On another note, the AMEX Car Purchase Program link that was posted seems to be offering really good prices.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:15 am

Has anyone confirmed that the 10/31 expiration offer of 75k on $1500 (Personal Visa) still works by calling it in? I really want this offer and I am a 1st time applicant!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
It's official -- 300,000 miles received! One personal card for me, one for my wife and one for my business. We just reached the $10k spend on the last card, and all miles have posted.

Thank you, once again, everyone who took the time to tell the rest of us about this fantastic offer! Viva FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:39 am

Exclamation

Originally Posted by RM3607
Has anyone confirmed that the 10/31 expiration offer of 75k on $1500 (Personal Visa) still works by calling it in? I really want this offer and I am a 1st time applicant!
I signed up using the 10/31 link AFTER 10/31. statement closed today. hoping for miles tomorrow!
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by bholaladka
I signed up using the 10/31 link AFTER 10/31. statement closed today. hoping for miles tomorrow!
Nice! What day did you apply for the card?

I think I'm going to call them today after work and try to get the $1500 deal.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
Why would, though, somebody want to pay sticker price for an automobile? Credit card or not! About the only time anybody pays sticker for an automobile is when it's a new model just released and there's a waiting line or something to be one of the first to get paws on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.