[Consolidated] Fidelity bonus offers for all airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Consolidated] Fidelity bonus offers for all airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by yojimbo
I registered for this offer last week. Today I received a call from Fidelity informing me that I was not eligible for the offer because I already have a Fidelity mutual fund account.

I was under the impression that I was eligible for the offer as long as I have never had a Fidelity brokerage account.
I am in a similar situation. I signed up for my first Fidelity account. But when I logged in, I saw all my 401k funds. This was set up by my employer but linked to my social security number. So when I registered with Fidelity this past weekend, I could view it.

So does this count for my 'first' account?
Old Jun 30, 2010, 12:30 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
I also never got my miles

Originally Posted by mahoney100
I am really upset and seems not much i can do. I opened my account with 10k and kept my confirmation email. I churned money through my account as to make my 50k in deposits and get 25k miles. My miles still had not posted I waited 6 weeks and called and was told today that I was not signed up for the promotion and that since I had not kept the original deposit of 10k in the account per T & C I was not eligible for the miles. I actually was on the phone for over 2 hours to even get 15k miles. I said to the customer service rep. that it would have been better to have opened the account with $2500, then deposit monies into the account up to the 50k, drain it back down to $2500, keep account open for six months, and he said yes. oh well, will take my miles.
I had a very similar problem. I deposited the required funds and never got my miles. I spent a fair amount of time and eventually got someone who agreed that I should have been owed the miles, and then promised to rectify the situation. Of course, I waited several weeks more but the miles never came. I am ashamed to say that I still have not followed up again to try to get my miles. I've been able to get similar promotions at other institutions to work, and I did not do anything tricky with Fidelity, they just have terrible tracking for this sort of thing. It is still on my list of things to do and one day when I feel like spending a bunch of time on the phone again, I will get them to look into it.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 6:54 pm

Programs: starwood and american airlines
Originally Posted by bluto
I had a very similar problem. I deposited the required funds and never got my miles. I spent a fair amount of time and eventually got someone who agreed that I should have been owed the miles, and then promised to rectify the situation. Of course, I waited several weeks more but the miles never came. I am ashamed to say that I still have not followed up again to try to get my miles. I've been able to get similar promotions at other institutions to work, and I did not do anything tricky with Fidelity, they just have terrible tracking for this sort of thing. It is still on my list of things to do and one day when I feel like spending a bunch of time on the phone again, I will get them to look into it.
after spending about 2 hours someone with some authority agreed i was owed some miles (15k). I received them yesterday. although i am upset that i did not get the entire 25k i still obtained 15k miles without spending any $
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: Mega Bus Plaid; Southwest Airlines Ruby and Bates Motel Platinum
401K Account

This question has kind of been touched upon, but I do not see a direct answer. My employer resides our 401K accounts with Fidelity. Therefore I have an individual 401K account set up in my name with them. However, I have never opened a personal account with them. Does anyone know if I am still eligible to take advantage of a mileage offer?

Also, does anyone know if the $10K deposit for 15K miles with AA (or any carrier) is still alive? The higher amounts may be too rich for me right now. Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by muflyer
This question has kind of been touched upon, but I do not see a direct answer. My employer resides our 401K accounts with Fidelity. Therefore I have an individual 401K account set up in my name with them. However, I have never opened a personal account with them. Does anyone know if I am still eligible to take advantage of a mileage offer?

Also, does anyone know if the $10K deposit for 15K miles with AA (or any carrier) is still alive? The higher amounts may be too rich for me right now. Thanks.
+1 sorry no answer but I would like to ask the same question.....
Old Jul 11, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by muflyer

Simple way to get answers is to contact Fidelity directly.
1-800-FIDELITY.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:18 pm

Fidelity is definitely becoming more stringent with their AA miles. My wife has Roth IRA mutual fund account with them. She wanted to openned the brokerage account with them and qualify for this offer. Initially, they todl her that she will recieve these miles. A month went by, and she asked again,t hey started to say "no". After about 4 weeks of back and forth, they basically are not willing to giver her 15,000 AA miles for $10,000 deposit. She called 4 times now, every time is the same story -- they say she had a Roth IRA, and that does not qualify her.

It's a bit upsetting as it is not a "retail brokerage account" as they described in T&C, she cannot actually buy any individual stocks in her Roth IRA account. I'd like to write a letter, but not sure who the EVP or VP of their customer service would be... they are not a public company, I have hard time finding the right person to send it to (CEO does not seem appropriate for this). Would anyone know? Any help would be great.

Thank you,

PedroNY
Old Jul 12, 2010, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
Originally Posted by PedroNY
Fidelity is definitely becoming more stringent with their AA miles. My wife has Roth IRA mutual fund account with them. She wanted to openned the brokerage account with them and qualify for this offer. Initially, they todl her that she will recieve these miles. A month went by, and she asked again,t hey started to say "no". After about 4 weeks of back and forth, they basically are not willing to giver her 15,000 AA miles for $10,000 deposit. She called 4 times now, every time is the same story -- they say she had a Roth IRA, and that does not qualify her.

It's a bit upsetting as it is not a "retail brokerage account" as they described in T&C, she cannot actually buy any individual stocks in her Roth IRA account. I'd like to write a letter, but not sure who the EVP or VP of their customer service would be... they are not a public company, I have hard time finding the right person to send it to (CEO does not seem appropriate for this). Would anyone know? Any help would be great.

Thank you,

PedroNY
she needs to deposit $25k for 15k AA miles...
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:10 pm

Thank you,

PedroNY
That is annoying. No way is a ROTH account a retail brokerage account.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:46 am

Limits and rewards changed under new promotion. Previous promotion was 5,000 miles for $2,5000; 15,000 miles for $10,000; and 25,000 miles for $25,000 miles. That promo ended May 31.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by rtraveler
So does this count for my 'first' account?
I had a brokerage account with Fidelity for almost 20 years but never got the miles bonus. Called CS rep and explained the situation, after talking to his manager he agreed to give me miles if I bring new funds to the account.
- I should register for the promo, get the email saying that I'm not eligible, transfer new funds and then call CS rep and he'll post the bonus manually.

Now waiting for my transfer to complete. Will have to pay a fee for partial transfer out to another brokerage Co.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yuryc
I had a brokerage account with Fidelity for almost 20 years but never got the miles bonus. Called CS rep and explained the situation, after talking to his manager he agreed to give me miles if I bring new funds to the account.
- I should register for the promo, get the email saying that I'm not eligible, transfer new funds and then call CS rep and he'll post the bonus manually.

Now waiting for my transfer to complete. Will have to pay a fee for partial transfer out to another brokerage Co.
That was what I was told to do in last go round. But my CSR also made sure the account was duly notated to get the miles. I hope you have that done - this would eliminate any subsequent non-delivery.

As for Roth IRA - yes you can buy and sell stocks inside Roth. There is no regulation said cannot be done. You can even trade options provided you get the brokerage house approval on it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 1:57 pm

Happy,

You can certainly buy/sell stocks in a ROTH IRA account. However, Fidelity has different type of accounts associated with Roth IRA. You can have a mutual fund account only (which is what my wife has) that can only trade mutual funds, or you can open up a Roth IRA brokerage aco.... and trade stocks in it. Therefore, if you open a Roth IRA Mutual Fund trading account, you cannot trade individual stocks in that account, Fidelity will not allow you to that. So, that is the difference. Somehow they are digging their heels in and saying that this Roth IRA Mutual Fund account counts as a Retail Brokerage Account... that does not make sense to me -- my wife cannot buy a share of GE or GOOGLE right now even if she wanted to do that through that account.

Anyone at all has contact information for Fidelity? VP of Customer Service? Some upper level manager who would have some authority here? I would greatly appreciate some info.

Best,

PedroNY
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy,

You can certainly buy/sell stocks in a ROTH IRA account. However, Fidelity has different type of accounts associated with Roth IRA. You can have a mutual fund account only (which is what my wife has) that can only trade mutual funds, or you can open up a Roth IRA brokerage aco.... and trade stocks in it. Therefore, if you open a Roth IRA Mutual Fund trading account, you cannot trade individual stocks in that account, Fidelity will not allow you to that. So, that is the difference. Somehow they are digging their heels in and saying that this Roth IRA Mutual Fund account counts as a Retail Brokerage Account... that does not make sense to me -- my wife cannot buy a share of GE or GOOGLE right now even if she wanted to do that through that account.

Anyone at all has contact information for Fidelity? VP of Customer Service? Some upper level manager who would have some authority here? I would greatly appreciate some info.

Best,

PedroNY
I personally feel Fidelity is being extremely unreasonable to treat folks who have mutual fund accounts the same way as having brokerage accounts.

If you are for it, I would suggest you to write to the CEO and VP for marketing to voice your complain - I am sure you can dig up the necessary names and address through googling.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
To recap:

Fidelity takes an official hardline on who and who is not eligible to receive miles.

However, if you are not going to play games moving money back and forth to hit some higher threshold, AND you talk to a person in authority beforehand and explain to them that you are willing to move signficant funds into a Fidelity account, they are likely to make an exception both for those who are getting caught up in some "first-account" technicality and those who already have a legitimate relationship with them. The larger your current balance or the amount you will transfer in, the better.

However, based on the bonuses that I am seeing mentioned here and in other threads, AA customers would be better served at the moment to invest their low-risk funds in BankDirect.

Last edited by ExitRowAisle; Jul 13, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.