Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2021, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
Anyone have either a great dump on C2-C1 return, C2-C1 oneway, or C1-C2 oneway dump in a flat bed seat. Will happily discuss some C1-C2 returns with the right person.
Ex-c2 there are limited reduction price opportunities for flat beds, although with some creativity possible more than average but nothing crazy. The trick requires on careful fare selection and mainly destinations.

C1-c2 different story. If you just require a one way to be flat bed the possibilities are much broader - especially with many tricks already referred in this thread (they are simply lying there beneath the surface).
PbodyPhoto likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:15 am

Programs: QF; VA; AS
Talking

Sadly any clearer clue I might as well spell out entire trick.
I'm a complete newbie and picked it up immediately.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Scottyrocket
I'm a complete newbie and picked it up immediately.
I thought about toilet paper for long enough and it came to me in a vision
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
C1-C2 r/t in business $450 using toilet paper
I'll be honest, I pop in and out of this thread from time to time over the years and I still haven't quite figured it out.

So I can figure out the continents and the airline here but have no clue what to do next. Is there a 3X that needs to be added?

Does anyone want to link up and start a "study group" so we can (hopefully) learn together?

PM me.

Last edited by BudgetJetsetter; Jun 23, 2021 at 1:33 pm
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:30 pm

TBH, may be I don't have the right vision here. I can search flights and construct multi-city itineraries all day. But manually parsing out fare rules - may be, but it simply does not seem to tell me enough. Glad to join any group, though. Keep me in mind.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:06 am

Talking

I joined Flyertalk in 2005 and have made several attempts over the past 15+ years to figure everything out.
I've had a bit of success, but I still really struggle. Please message me if you begin a group.
As the world is re-opening to travel I'm keen to get back out there and flying!
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:27 am

Ok, so I've downloaded Telegram just for this one How about setting up a Telegram group. Group link: https://t.me/joinchat/GNFjKoPNFBhkYzUx
BTW, where did the reply box go?

Last edited by tr3k; Jun 23, 2021 at 7:36 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:44 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, so I've downloaded Telegram just for this one How about setting up a Telegram group. My telegram link is https://t.me/tr22k
Text me, and we'll set it up.
Hate to be a killjoy, but all you need is one blogger on that group and all your discoveries will be plastered all over the internet and instantly killed. There is a saying that has been posted numerous times on this thread over the years, and yes, i read every page:

Those who know, don‘t tell. Those who tell, don‘t know.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Deckter
Hate to be a killjoy, but all you need is one blogger on that group and all your discoveries will be plastered all over the internet and instantly killed. There is a saying that has been posted numerous times on this thread over the years, and yes, i read every page:

Those who know, don‘t tell. Those who tell, don‘t know.
Obviously. However, at a minimum, all participants are visible, unlike a public forum. We'll see.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by tr3k
Ok, so I've downloaded Telegram just for this one How about setting up a Telegram group. Group link: https://t.me/joinchat/GNFjKoPNFBhkYzUx
I’d be open to something like this but posting a link publicly is a poor way to do it. There needs to be some sort of vetting process before admitting people. It should be fairly easy to look at someone’s post history on here and make a solid guess on whether they’re a blogger or not.

I’m not sure how Telegram works but with Discord you could create a main room that everyone you approve to the group gets access to, you’ll probably have a fair amount of people who aren’t bloggers that are interested but won’t put much work. Then create a second room for people who you determine are really interested, will provide input, aren’t a blogger, and aren’t going to ruin it for everyone.
PbodyPhoto and Flyinghobby like this.

Last edited by sethMCOflyer; Jun 23, 2021 at 9:34 am
Old Jun 23, 2021, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
I’d be open to something like this but posting a link publicly is a poor way to do it. There needs to be some sort of vetting process before admitting people. It should be fairly easy to look at someone’s post history on here and make a solid guess on whether they’re a blogger or not.

I’m not sure how Telegram works but with Discord you could create a main room that everyone you approve to the group gets access to, you’ll probably have a fair amount of people who aren’t bloggers that are interested but won’t put much work. Then create a second room for people who you determine are really interested, will provide input, aren’t a blogger, and aren’t going to ruin it for everyone.
Would definitely be supportive of a Discord over Telegram. Also works on desktop .
sethMCOflyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by xfisgsm
Would definitely be supportive of a Discord over Telegram. Also works on desktop .
Not that I am a big Telegram supporter (just got it for the first time), but it has a decent desktop application.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by xfisgsm
See the link in my signature for a FT Discord which we can use in the future.

the problem with these "study groups" (I have tried to set these up before myself) is that it's usually 1 or 2 people actually interested in learning and finding all the hacks, and the rest just freeload so they eventually stop feeling like sharing

Last edited by keitherson; Jun 23, 2021 at 3:44 pm
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Silver; Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by keitherson

the problem with these "study groups" (I have tried to set these up before myself) is that it's usually 1 or 2 people actually interested in learning and finding all the hacks, and the rest just freeload so they eventually stop feeling like sharing
I'm game on this - just joined the discord.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by keitherson

The second part is the biggest issue here. There is only about a dozen folks in the telegram chat at the moment. It is currently just idle chatter while we work out how to verify people aren't leeches/lurkers and have a proven history on FT; not necessarily as tricksters but not just freeloaders. I think we will probably eventually keep the telegram as a "lobby" of sorts and move it to a private discord when we know people have a serious interest and aren't there to leech/lurk/leak.

I am hopeful that trick it can end up being a more open place where people can have great access to great deals but there needs to be some level of gate keeping or everything will be dead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.