Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2021, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by desafino
travel in style C1-C2-C5n on a fresh new entrant. $5XX round trip...
I can only see this low on one particular set of dates, and no option for o/w - is that right? Thank you :-)
desafino likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 10:02 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by Tofino87
I can only see this low on one particular set of dates, and no option for o/w - is that right? Thank you :-)
Few dates available at that price. Other dates can be built still under $1k. If you dont need to fly in style, lots of dates available and as low as $3XX
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:09 am

Programs: VA, QR
Can't remember if the fares were always structured like this, but it looks like you can run a double decker C6-C2 so as to remove the fat on the second deck. A variety of strikes can easily remove some from the first deck too. Total cost ~AU$2K in cattle class (and I'm sure others can do better)

Obviously the more decks you add the better the savings, but I'm struggling to find OTAs to ticket beyond the double decker (even if it's still ITAble) - any tips would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 5, 2021, 10:29 am

Programs: DL plat
Originally Posted by wendyc12
Can't remember if the fares were always structured like this, but it looks like you can run a double decker C6-C2 so as to remove the fat on the second deck. A variety of strikes can easily remove some from the first deck too. Total cost ~AU$2K in cattle class (and I'm sure others can do better)

Obviously the more decks you add the better the savings, but I'm struggling to find OTAs to ticket beyond the double decker (even if it's still ITAble) - any tips would be much appreciated!
You might have to switch the city pair for the third deck. In my experience, OTAs and airlines only allow the same city twice on a ticket. so try using nearby cities for your third pair
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: AA, Marriott

It is usually hard to find OTA that correctly price more than 4 segments (they are out there, but extremly rare after 5 segments). If you are trying to price a triple or quadruple deck you have a few options:
- I see the airline / one of the partners does allow you to book up to 6 segments - so you may try that
- Deeplink into a OTA - you can search FT for "powertools" so that whatever you put in the matrix it gives you the result that you want. I checked and PL OTA seems to comply with a sample of a 3x decker
- Call a travel agent (I know, we are always told not to), provided you are not including a strike - bunching together many round trips should not alarm usually (no strikes, pls). Just have a logical justification so that people don't ask too many questions (e.g., making life easier for you and just inserting your passport details once when flying).
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Timidocvl
It is usually hard to find OTA that correctly price more than 4 segments (they are out there, but extremly rare after 5 segments). If you are trying to price a triple or quadruple deck you have a few options:
- I see the airline / one of the partners does allow you to book up to 6 segments - so you may try that
- Deeplink into a OTA - you can search FT for "powertools" so that whatever you put in the matrix it gives you the result that you want. I checked and PL OTA seems to comply with a sample of a 3x decker
- Call a travel agent (I know, we are always told not to), provided you are not including a strike - bunching together many round trips should not alarm usually (no strikes, pls). Just have a logical justification so that people don't ask too many questions (e.g., making life easier for you and just inserting your passport details once when flying).
you will need more than a good justification for a strike when dealing with a travel agent. If you don’t fly every sector they will be sent a debit memo for the owed amount.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
you will need more than a good justification for a strike when dealing with a travel agent. If you don’t fly every sector they will be sent a debit memo for the owed amount.
I said "no strike pls".
Old Oct 5, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by Timidocvl
I said "no strike pls".
Ah I missed that, I would still avoid using a travel agent for anything that is obviously too cheap
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:31 am

Programs: VA, QR
Thanks 15cats/Timidocvl/PbodyPhoto!

I'll play around with different city pairs for the 2nd/3rd deck - easy to do as the trick seems to work with all major cities. That said, the cost to reposition will significantly diminish the value of the trick, so perhaps the double decker is as good as it gets from that perspective.

I have considered going to a TA (without the strike of course ) but am worried it looks too suss and/or will result in them getting an ADM.

Last edited by wendyc12; Oct 6, 2021 at 2:32 am Reason: Edit
Old Oct 6, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: DL plat
Thanks 15cats/Timidocvl/PbodyPhoto!

I'll play around with different city pairs for the 2nd/3rd deck - easy to do as the trick seems to work with all major cities. That said, the cost to reposition will significantly diminish the value of the trick, so perhaps the double decker is as good as it gets from that perspective.

I have considered going to a TA (without the strike of course ) but am worried it looks too suss and/or will result in them getting an ADM.
I've been in this position, and wouldn't go to a TA. The bad ones won't be able to do it or will blab about the "neat thing their customer did to save money", and the good ones won't sell it because of the liability on themselves.
aktchi and wendyc12 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by 15cats
I've been in this position, and wouldn't go to a TA. The bad ones won't be able to do it or will blab about the "neat thing their customer did to save money", and the good ones won't sell it because of the liability on themselves.
Well, if it autoprices in the GDS (Sabre, Amadeus, etc.) then the TA can't get a debt memo. That doesn't mean the airline won't try or say the TA did something to circumvent the pricing. It also doesn't mean the airline will allow that TA to continue to sell tickets in the future. They could easily tell the TA "pay the debt memo or we cut off your ability to sell our flights." I've seen that happen.

So, as you said, a good TA won't touch it.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: QF Gold
So ... anyone able to point me in some direction of these "engine" based tricks? Somewhere to start? Is it one of the powertools OTAs?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 12:31 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by davem4
So ... anyone able to point me in some direction of these "engine" based tricks? Somewhere to start? Is it one of the powertools OTAs?
Yes. A couple posts ago mentioned one. I have the most success with them.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: UA AA 9W
I am planning to go C3-C1-C4-C3 End of Nov. Any pointers to fuel dump? I have not been travelling much in the last five years. Any help is appreciated.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by pcseenivasan
I am planning to go C3-C1-C4-C3 End of Nov. Any pointers to fuel dump? I have not been travelling much in the last five years. Any help is appreciated.
It is often your type of postings that in the past has brought this thread to a complete standstill for sometimes weeks. Just reaching out hand without any track record of prior contributions is frowned upon. Asking question in code amplify the above sentiments.
Unfortunately, you are starting trip in the least desirable direction.

If you start in Florida you can go to India One Way and then several months later you can have a trip from India to Beer Capital of Germany for 173.44 € All-in. Most of the operating flights are Lufthansa.

I.e USA INDIA One Way AND INDIA - Germany One Way
173.44 € All-in

And Yes there is even a € 0.42 base fare USA India and € 0.42 Base fare India Germany bringing the final price down to 158.86 € All-in

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Oct 12, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.