Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 20, 2013, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
Do not call the airlines under any conditions! This is the fastest way to kill the trick and bring unwanted attention to your itinerary! And do not post precious deals in this thread, this is by far the fastest way to kill the trick!

This is NOT the right place to ask: "Can you help me with a low fare for AAA-BBB?" This is not the beg-it thread, but the trick-it thread.

This thread deals with unique combinations of routes and booking tricks in order to lower prices on airline fares. Prices that would astound the general public are often achieved by the posters in this thread.

Many people, including airline representatives, monitor this thread. For that reason, it is unorganized, very content heavy, often lacking details, and written in shorthand. It takes patience and effort in order to understand the conversation and be able to participate as an active member.

We encourage you to read the entirety of this thread if you would like to get started and to experiment as soon as you understand the gist of Trick It. Lots of time spent reading, practicing, and learning is the only way to be able to reproduce our tricks and discover new ones yourself. There are many, many people who ask for advice here, so productive members are only able to help those who have shown a concerted effort and progress over a long period of time (months).

If you have no idea what this thread is about, a good place to start are various blogs' posts on the subject. At the very least, read the Rules for posting in this thread. They're also listed in the very first post, below.

Older portions of the thread have been separated into archive thread by year. They are listed below

2008 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2009 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2010 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2011 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2012 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2013 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
2014 Trick It / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread
Print Wikipost

Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2022, 12:28 am

Programs: DL,AA,UA,EK
Couple of reminders/tips to those who are getting started with FD and/or Travel hacking .

- Remember Rome was not built in a day . Its takes significant effort to build the knowledge repository
- Understand the "basic" rules and within no time , you will know what works ( this is where most struggle ). "I want to fly from A - B but the 3x P -Q doesn't work . Could you help ?" Wonder why ?
- There will be plenty of bad days when you will not make any progress . Keep your chin up , you will (first) learn and (then) succeed
- Don't keep looking for X or E factors to solve the puzzle . There are other options too !

Good luck
321, AxelJF and kiwibirdft like this.

Last edited by ChanduFD; Mar 14, 2022 at 3:12 am
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Also worth remembering that there is a lot of people in here who post nonsense information in the hopes that people will trade good tricks.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Whoa. The back and forth deals being posted makes it feel like I’m watching a great tennis match!
Thank you WWE and ChanduFD
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL,AA,UA,EK

This is probably my last post on this thread . I didn't join the forum to ruin the party "everyone" is having here . There is so much negativity here that i'm better off being a lurker

Good luck and Happy hacking !
321 and trzpio9510 like this.

Last edited by ChanduFD; Mar 18, 2022 at 2:11 pm Reason: deleted the details due to insane # of DMs asking for help. My DMs are closed
Old Mar 19, 2022, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
C1- c2-c1 £ 81.36

C1- C2-C1 £ 81.36 All-in. No X factors
March 22. Still available on major booking OTA.
321 likes this.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Mar 22, 2022 at 4:48 pm Reason: March 22 Still available on major booking OTA.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 5:49 am
Suspended

Largest City in USA - Largest City in Largest Country South America £ 169.70 OneWay

Flying on USA carrier using a little alternative Hanky Panky because there is no YQ to remove .
Can even be booked directly on carrier's own website.

For a few £ more you can go to: "I See A Mountain" in another country.

£ 226.19 Opposite direction from other city in large country but with extra benefit of stop-over of unlimited duration in Miami.
For some bizarre reason, a town with the biggest University of Texas campus can be included in routing.

All above have limited dates, limited cities and limited routings.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Apr 1, 2022 at 6:10 pm Reason: 2 big clues removed
Old Apr 3, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum, OZ Diamond, AC Prestige25K
those chasing skyteam status can fly almost 14k miles OW for $210 AI by hiking up the Andes mountain range from C1
Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:10 am
Suspended

October/November 2022 and/or January -March 2023 Travel

Europe to Thailand
Thailand to Europe
Africa to Canada
Canada/USA to Africa
1 ticket.
£393,55 All-in

No Throw-Away X factor.

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Apr 6, 2022 at 8:44 am
Old Apr 11, 2022, 6:20 pm

I'm new to the flight hacking game, and was looking for some tips on how to get started. For instance, is there a specific geographic region that would be well suited to yield a larger number of potential 3x's? Also, is it best to look for 3x's with airlines belonging to the same alliance? (e.g. UA/AI for LH, as all three are in Star Alliance). Any tips from you all would be very appreciated. I'm specifically looking for 3x's on LH flights since they have an extremely high YQ relative to base fare. Thanks in advance.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:44 am

Found r/t with safe construction, works on ITA for $304 but cannot price anywhere else. BookWithMatrix doesn't help. Tried all other sites but no luck. Any help with where to book?

Last edited by abcpp; May 2, 2022 at 8:10 am
Old May 5, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM
This is the quietest I've seen things in a while. Must be Y/E for folks.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:32 am

Found an interesting one way trip this morning. So far I can only get it to price out on 1 OTA. No X factor!

Only $149 USD-$215 USD. ($149 USD for a September date, $215 USD for a May, June & August date)

C1-C5W.

Hints:
- Final destination is NOT Morocco.
- 1 layover in C2 for roughly 24 hours. So far I haven't been able to extend it for a stopover.
Flyinghobby likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:33 pm

Very rusty but figure I'd post this. Found a multi-city for the big tournament this fall that airlines have jacked up the prices on. C2.5->C2.5->C2.5 or C3. Cuts the price in half of what the first leg is selling alone. Only seems to work if the 2nd flight is one day after the first which worries me from booking it.

Bookable on the carrier's website strange enough, as well as at least one OTA.
Old May 28, 2022, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Mid-Summer 2022 C1-C2-C1 $ 127.15 all-in.

Bookable.
Is that r/t or multi
Old May 31, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Hi everyone!
I have been a passive reader of this thread for a while and I think I understand the gist of FD by now rather well. Still clueless though whether it's generally more like trying to find the needle in the haystack or like following well-established patterns ... or something in between...

Either way. I found a bookable FD with several possible 3x for a specific city pair between US West Coast and Eastern Europe with a big European carrier that cuts the YQ of a C fare by c. 70-50%. In another scenario it's the same city pair with a 1x that gets rid of YQ almost entirely, but it's not flyable for me and as such only has theoretical value.

While Eastern Europe is easily accessible from anywhere else inside Europe, I wish I could find something that is closer to central Europe, but I don't manage to reproduce it for other airports. Any hints on other theoretically applicable destinations? Can someone point me to airports that are known/have been known as workable? Or at least an explanation on why it works for destination X, but not destination Y, even though most other conditions are the same?
Thanks in advance for any meaningful help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.