Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
25k is utterly absurd. He could get a AONE4 round the world ticket in First and dispose of the final sector for less.
Concur is extremely bad at pricing multi city international trips.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
So I am just not doing something right. Need 8 segments on a flight (4 out, 4 back) and trying to avoid ORD and LGA as well as -nofirstclass. Needs to be on UA, but ORD keeps popping up unless I limit it to one stop.

What am I doing wrong? Help....
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
So I am just not doing something right. Need 8 segments on a flight (4 out, 4 back) and trying to avoid ORD and LGA as well as -nofirstclass. Needs to be on UA, but ORD keeps popping up unless I limit it to one stop.

What am I doing wrong? Help....
Have you tried UA ~ORD,LGA UA ~ORD,LGA UA ~ORD,LGA UA? A bit difficult to help without your routing string.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Have you tried UA ~ORD,LGA UA ~ORD,LGA UA ~ORD,LGA UA? A bit difficult to help without your routing string.
Thanks, That works... partially. Now it's trying to send me to SEA, way out of the way. So I tried this:

OMA
ua ~ord,sea ua ~ord,sea ua ~ord,sea ua ~ord,sea / -nofirstclass
MEM

Returns multiple airlines only, nothing strictly on UA metal, but when I do this:

ua ua ua ua / -nofirstclass

I can scroll down and see one on UA that works. Just trying to figure it out for future reference.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
Thanks, That works... partially. Now it's trying to send me to SEA, way out of the way. So I tried this:

OMA
MEM

Returns multiple airlines only, nothing strictly on UA metal, but when I do this:

ua ua ua ua / -nofirstclass

I can scroll down and see one on UA that works. Just trying to figure it out for future reference.
^ Glad you figured something out

You can use O:UA if you only want flights operated by UA; however flights marketed by other airlines might come up
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
If you don't want codeshare flights, just add nocodeshare at the end:

ua ua ua ua / -nofirstclass; nocodeshare
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elva
If you don't want codeshare flights, just add nocodeshare at the end:

ua ua ua ua / -nofirstclass; nocodeshare
^ Didn't know that one
Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Biscoff Medallion, A-Hole Preferred
Originally Posted by nkedel
The timeout means they're either overloaded, or throttling it more.
I think it errors out under other conditions as well. I frequently have narrow range searches get this error message (so frequently that ITA has become near useless to me in the last couple of months) but full calendar 0-7 days searches work just fine at the same time.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: AC-ELITE 50K
Minconnect on Stop Over

Hi,

how can I use the function minconnect when looking to a three stop over itinerary and in one stop over I want to stay 28 hours.

example One way from AAA to DDD connecting in BBB & CCC
However I want to stopover 28 hours in CCC before hitting last leg to DDD

Where do I put the minconnect argument?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by camelari
Hi,

how can I use the function minconnect when looking to a three stop over itinerary and in one stop over I want to stay 28 hours.

Use the multi city tool to construct this itinerary
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by camelari
Hi,

Search as multicity. In the last flight (CCC to DDD) use the advanced routing code: /minconnect 1680

(Times are in minutes. 28 hrs = 1680 mins)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
One thing I'd love to see is the ability to search for mixed class itineraries easily, and also to specify a minimum booking class (ie. such as bc>V for a V or better itin).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Superguy
One thing I'd love to see is the ability to search for mixed class itineraries easily, and also to specify a minimum booking class (ie. such as bc>V for a V or better itin).
That gets complicated when different airlines use the same codes in different order for different buckets.

Are you aware of this style to look for the set you might want on BA for example:

/f bc=h|bc=m|bc=k
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL
I see a similar if not same question posed just a few entries up thread but am wondering if it makes a difference if the fare rules don't allow stopovers and I am trying to find the longest layover available each way.

Example: I want to take advantage of a Skyteam DTW-SVO fare but am based in ATL. Ideally, I would get to DTW on my own and then fly DTW-AMS/FCO/CDG with the longest layover possible-SVO, and then return SVO-AMS/FCO/CDG again with the longest possible layover-ATL-DTW and I would just get off @ ATL. Can I still use multicity even if the fare rules don't allow stopovers?

Right now for the return I am putting in SVO:: FCO /minconnect 1200 ATL and it errors out. Obviously just putting FCO /minconnect 1200 returns layovers of at least 20 hours, but I want to specify a 2nd layover in ATL on the way home of any duration
Old Jan 2, 2016, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitozac
I see a similar if not same question posed just a few entries up thread but am wondering if it makes a difference if the fare rules don't allow stopovers and I am trying to find the longest layover available each way.

Example: I want to take advantage of a Skyteam DTW-SVO fare but am based in ATL. Ideally, I would get to DTW on my own and then fly DTW-AMS/FCO/CDG with the longest layover possible-SVO, and then return SVO-AMS/FCO/CDG again with the longest possible layover-ATL-DTW and I would just get off @ ATL. Can I still use multicity even if the fare rules don't allow stopovers?

Right now for the return I am putting in SVO:: FCO /minconnect 1200 ATL and it errors out. Obviously just putting FCO /minconnect 1200 returns layovers of at least 20 hours, but I want to specify a 2nd layover in ATL on the way home of any duration
You can use multicity if you like. The pricing engine will find the best way to price it, using a round trip pricing unit comprising two mirror-image fare components but with stopovers, or as a multi component circle trip comprising numerous fare components, or with end-on-end components, or even multiple pricing units, whatever works out cheapest (and the fare rules mutually allow). The way you input your itinerary does not really seem to affect the method the Matrix uses to compute the price.

If you let us know more about your itinerary maybe someone here can have a go at setting it up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.