Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
Same here, the issue was most certainly with the multi-city's tool as such and it seems to have been rectified with the latest update.

G
This was purchased over the phone — took a while to get them to understand what I wanted. Then they cancelled my ticket as invalid somehow a few days after purchase. Phone response to my complaint was something like “oh well, you can buy again <hang up>”

It wasn’t enormously complicated, maybe four stopovers and three fares in a circle trip configuration.

That one incident may not be representative of their normal service.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
This was purchased over the phone — took a while to get them to understand what I wanted. Then they cancelled my ticket as invalid somehow a few days after purchase. Phone response to my complaint was something like “oh well, you can buy again <hang up>”

It wasn’t enormously complicated, maybe four stopovers and three fares in a circle trip configuration.

That one incident may not be representative of their normal service.
Okay, I see. The telephone support from AZ is not really the best around (I read some horrible stories fairly recently with people trying to use their soon-to-expire miles and spending absolute ages on the phone, but also several other not-so positive stories on the Italian forum), I guess they're (generally speaking) not skilled up and clearly subcontracted to some mediocre service provider. That said, the Polish number (which I normally use from here in Warsaw needless to say) feeds through the Albanian call centre and I must say I've always had outstanding service from them, their English is brilliant and they tend to have a decent understanding even of those fairly complicated itineraries which are mostly FT-material (), the only thing I wish they would be a tad more flexible about is the re-accommodating process in case of strike/unforeseen events which often 'drags' and no other solutions, apart from AZ, are given, but that's way OT

G
Calchas likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Has anyone noticed itasoftware disabled multiple country origina search?

For example, I used to be able to look up ORD,YYZ,JFK,BOS to SCL, EZE, and GRU. Now I have to remove YYZ to look up the fares, or keep only YYZ (or with other Canadian cities) to query fares.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by vincewy

For example, I used to be able to look up ORD,YYZ,JFK,BOS to SCL, EZE, and GRU. Now I have to remove YYZ to look up the fares, or keep only YYZ (or with other Canadian cities) to query fares.
Yes, as mentioned at Ex-EU ita Matrix issue, and in the link from there.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:58 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Angry

Originally Posted by vincewy

That is very unfortunate, especially when looking for fares to/from Europe...
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Can't get "o:" to work

Post deleted -- I realized I was posting in a dormant thread, my apologies. I re-posted in what I think may be the correct thread: ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

Last edited by anabolism; Aug 17, 2021 at 2:18 pm Reason: Delete as this is a dormant thread
Old Aug 17, 2021, 1:52 am

Lightbulb

Yes you are using it incorrectly. O:AA should be written in the extension codes (the box to the right..where you haven't mentioned anything) and not in the routing specifications box.

Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm having trouble searching for specific routings. It seems that any time I use "o:" it errors with

E.g., with routing code using "o:aa" this errors:

The routing code is truncated in the example; the full routing code is "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax o:aa aa,ba". Same error if I try "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax o:aa lhr aa,ba" (with "o:aa lhr").

If I take out "o:" it works. E.g., with routing code "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa lhr aa,ba" or "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa aa,ba" it works (with and without specifying LHR as the connection point of the AA flight.

Am I using "o:" incorrectly?

Edited to add: it also errors if I try to specify a specific flight, e.g., "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa134 aa,ba" or ""as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax f:aa134 aa,ba" or "as,aa sfo,sjc,fat,phx as,aa lax aa134 lhr aa,ba".
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by andydd
Yes you are using it incorrectly. O:AA should be written in the extension codes (the box to the right..where you haven't mentioned anything) and not in the routing specifications box.
Thanks for the reply. I used it in the routing codes box for two reasons: it's in the syntax description for that box (clicking the "?") and I only want it to apply to one flight (lax-lhr). How do I use it in the extensions box to apply to only one flight?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
I've been reading thread from front and back and still unclear. Is there now a workaround to be able to put different European countries on outbound on ITA?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: OW Sapphire, *A Gold
Originally Posted by anngi
I've been reading thread from front and back and still unclear. Is there now a workaround to be able to put different European countries on outbound on ITA?
I don't think so, but you can do that on google flights.
anngi likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Does anyone know how to stop the script from removing certain clickthrough options? (e.g. it will remove American as a booking link, if there are not American flights in the ITA search)

I'm trying to get codeshare flights booked/ticketed through American even though they're not marketing. It should be able to price out.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: aa ua dl jb starwood marriott hyatt
Disregard

Last edited by anngi; Sep 14, 2021 at 3:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List & CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Is there an advanced routing command that you can pull up all refundable fares? In Sabre it is the XP modifier on your WP command, but I didn't know if ITA had such functionality.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Is there a way in the search function to specify departure time constraints?

I know you can do it on a day-by-day basis, but can I say, for example, I want all flights from Podunk to Peoria that depart after 4PM anytime in a month?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:21 am
Moderator: Hyatt, American Express; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by redtop43
Is there a way in the search function to specify departure time constraints?

I know you can do it on a day-by-day basis, but can I say, for example, I want all flights from Podunk to Peoria that depart after 4PM anytime in a month?
This used to be possible in the old interface but they removed those controls in the new one, sadly.

I mentioned this in the main ITA Matrix thread: ITA Software Matrix Airfare Search Consolidated Information and Help Thread

where the official ITA account has been actively participating since the beta and transitional period and is taking feedback but they don't seem to have responded on that specific point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.