Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser

Of course, with that specific fare that you mention, if it really was that cheap then one option would have been to fly all the way to WLG, and then just fly straight back to SYD. It's only a 3½ hour flight ...
Agreed. I am however having an issue with positioning for CAI. It's not the easiest in relation to times of positioning flights versus the flight needed to book so I may have to go back to the drawing board....
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
As Globaliser says, it shouldn't and probably won't make a difference but once you have a full set of cities you can try putting SYD in as the destination for a simple return and use the advanced routing codes box to indicate the route you want for the return, starting with WEL.

In the example you give, HKG in the outbound route, WEL SYD HKG in the inbound.
PAL62V likes this.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 21, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
It was in response to a suggestion of a cheap J fare to Oz during December which involved a positioning flight to begin in CAI and then ending in WLG, via SYD where a long stopover was allowed. So the ticket really needed to end in WLG to enable the cheaper fare. If I used the multi city and made the second flight SYD-WLG, the price shot up, whereas if the assumption was a flight where the SYD stopover was the MCT, the price was extremely good.
If this is CAI-DXB-SYD//SYD-WEL-SYD-DXB-CAI then I'm getting the £1500 or so price using CAI-DXB-SYD@DEC12, SYD-WLG@JAN8, WLG-CAI@JAN9 in the multi-city search.

Or were you looking for something else?

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 21, 2018 at 8:39 am
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
If this is CAI-DXB-SYD//SYD-WEL-SYD-DXB-CAI then I'm getting the £1500 or so price using CAI-DXB-SYD@DEC12, SYD-WLG@JAN8, WLG-CAI@JAN9 in the multi-city search.

Or were you looking for something else?
No, that's basically it. I'll have another check and see how it goes. Mind you, getting to CAI is a right pain due to the departure time of CAI-DXB. It looks like a layover there is what's needed. Pretty amazing city though and might be fun to go see it again.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Suppressing code shares from results

Hello, is there an easy way of suppressing code shares from flight results? For example, on a multicity itinerary, I would like to see display of only UA flights and suppressing AC metal listed as UA codeshares. Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by cagcag
Hello, is there an easy way of suppressing code shares from flight results? For example, on a multicity itinerary, I would like to see display of only UA flights and suppressing AC metal listed as UA codeshares. Thanks
Write UA+ in the routing box and Nocodeshares in the extensions box.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi
Thank you! Easy!
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by aktchi
"O:UA" in the routing spec gives a similar effect, ensuring you are on UA metal although it could be marketed by some other airline at a better price. Useful if you are aiming for a service experience rather than FFP benefits of marketing airline.

You might also be able to use something like ~UA8000-UA9000 to exclude a block of flights for a specific partner. Not sure I've ever tried that though...

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Mar 30, 2018 at 12:55 am
Old Apr 26, 2018, 2:37 pm

Good Day, I am relatively new to ITA Matrix but I am feeling very comfortable as I have been playing around with it for days and reading your posts. I have found several flights but I am unable to to book them. It looks like this does happen at times based on prior posts but now I am stuck on how to change my search to find a 'real' flight. Neither Priceline,Delta or BookwithMatrix can find this. What do I next?

Itinerary details
Boston (BOS) to Rome (FCO) — Tue, Aug 14

Alitalia 615
Dep: 9:50 pm Arr: 11:50 am
8h 0m Airbus A330
Business (I)
Wed, Aug 15

Venice (VCE) to Boston (BOS) — Sun, Sep 2

Air France 1127
Dep: 10:00 am Arr: 11:50 am
1h 50m Airbus A318
Economy (Y)

Layover in CDG
22h 30m

Paris (CDG) to Boston (BOS) — Mon, Sep 3
Delta 119
Dep: 10:20 am Arr: 12:20 pm
8h 0m Boeing 767
Premium economy (W)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $2,007.81
Total cost for 3 passengers $6,023.43

How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.Fare for 2 adults, 1 youthFare 1: Carrier AZ IH1XU6D2 BOS to ROM (rules)Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code ICovers BOS-FCO (Business)$873.00Fare 2: Carrier DL XKGX26C3 VCE to BOS (rules)Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code Y, WCovers VCE-CDG (Economy), CDG-BOS (Premium economy)$357.00AZ YR surcharge (YR)$628.00US International Departure Tax (US)$36.60US September 11th Security Fee (AY)$5.60US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)$4.50France Passenger Service Charge International (QX)$34.80France Airport Tax Domestic And International (FR)$9.50United States Immigration User Fee (XY)$7.00United States Customs User Fee (YC)$5.65United States APHIS Passenger Fee Passengers (XA)$3.96Italy Security Bag Charge (EX)$1.50Italy Passenger Service Charge Departure (MJ)$1.00Italy Council City Tax (HB)$7.90Italy Security Charge (VT)$5.30Italy Embarkation Tax (IT)$13.50AF YQ surcharge (YQ)$13.00Subtotal per passenger$2,007.81Number of passengersx3Subtotal For 2 adults, 1 youth$6,023.43
  • This ticket is non-refundable.
  • Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare Construction (can be useful to travel agents)
BOS AZ ROM M 873.00IH1XU6D2 /-VCE AF X/E/PAR DL BOS M 357.00XKGX26C3 NUC 1230.00 END ROE 1.00 XT 5.65YC 7.00XY 3.96XA 36.60US 5.60AY 1.50EX 7.90HB 13.50IT 1.00MJ 5.30VT 9.50FR 34.80QX 13.00YQ 628.00YR 4.50XF BOS4.50Total Airfare & Taxes$6,023.43
  • Email this itinerary
  • Print this page

[QUOTE]
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:47 pm

Mixing different cabins is tricky in online bookings, and you have each flight in a different cabin. You can try AZ, AF, Expedia, etc.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:48 pm

Mixing different cabins is tricky in online bookings, and you have each flight in a different cabin. You can try AZ, AF, Expedia, etc. Otherwise some brick+mortar TA for some extra charge (bring the ITA printout to tthem).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 4:09 pm

Thank you! I figured it won't be easy. I guess maybe it is time to speak to a TA and see if they laugh in my face!!
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by monbdahelp
Good Day, I am relatively new to ITA Matrix but I am feeling very comfortable as I have been playing around with it for days and reading your posts. I have found several flights but I am unable to to book them. It looks like this does happen at times based on prior posts but now I am stuck on how to change my search to find a 'real' flight. Neither Priceline,Delta or BookwithMatrix can find this. What do I next?
Try it again. I was able to pull the booking page on Priceline via powertools or bookwithmatrix.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monbdahelp
DL or AF can certainly book it over the phone. The mixture of J one way and W the other is probably confusing things.

I have had bad experiences booking multi fare itineraries directly with AZ so suggest it not be chosen as the ticketing agent.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Calchas
I have had bad experiences booking multi fare itineraries directly with AZ so suggest it not be chosen as the ticketing agent.
Same here, the issue was most certainly with the multi-city's tool as such and it seems to have been rectified with the latest update.

G

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.