Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

EXCLUDE SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO SPECIFIC AIRLINES
Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT TO A SINGLE ALLIANCE
Command is "alliance star-alliance|oneworld|skyteam"
Ex: oneworld carriers only
to: LAX ::/ alliance oneworld

EXCLUDE CODESHARES
Command is "-codeshare"
Ex: prohibit jetBlue or Delta
to: LAX ::/ -codeshare

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES
Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

EXCLUDE OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLER PLANES, TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport changes, no redeyes, no propeller planes
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES
Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME
Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline specified minimum connection time
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER
Separate with commas.
Ex:
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight
Print Wikipost

TIP: More hidden features of ITA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:47 pm

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by angatol
UA+ ~ORD means multiple flights on UA which may or may not go through ORD followed by a connection through anywhere but ORD. Is: "~ORD*/f UA" sufficient? That's one or more stops not through ORD on a UA fare, though not necessarily UA metal or code. If you need all flights to be UA coded, I think you'll have to do it interatively, i.e.
UA
UA ~ORD
UA ~ORD UA
UA ~ORD UA ~ORD
etc.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try. It sounds like a good idea for a feature to allow UA+ with either included or excluded connections.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:20 pm

Programs: M&M
Dear ITAHacker, lately geosearch request just hang half the time without any response, meaning the search will never complete either. Could you please look into that?

Also would it be possible to make fare rules open in a new tab again? Pretty please?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
I am not sure if I can put multiple arguments with minconnect but would some advice here... trip is as follows.

as ord aa lax aa mia aa eze

Since this is intl trip, I can do 23hr layovers on local destinations, right? Can I use minconnect on one or more segments above? For instance - ORD-LAX-MIA can be whatever connection times and then 20hr layover at MIA before going to EZE.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I am not sure if I can put multiple arguments with minconnect
Yep

but would some advice here... trip is as follows.

as ord aa lax aa mia aa eze

Since this is intl trip, I can do 23hr layovers on local destinations, right?
Yes up to 23 hours 59 minutes.

Can I use minconnect on one or more segments above? For instance - ORD-LAX-MIA can be whatever connection times and then 20hr layover at MIA before going to EZE.
Yes but you will need to use the multicity tab. Just give the minconnect on the routes where you want one.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes but you will need to use the multicity tab. Just give the minconnect on the routes where you want one.
Yeah, I meant using minconnect argument using R/t search.

For some reason multi-city breaks the pricing when I start changing connection times to other than ITA's list and I am not sure where is it breaking the fare. I am keeping it under 24hrs and travel dates haven't changed from origin and destination.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I meant using minconnect argument using R/t search.

For some reason multi-city breaks the pricing when I start changing connection times to other than ITA's list and I am not sure where is it breaking the fare. I am keeping it under 24hrs and travel dates haven't changed from origin and destination.
Try continuing beyond the first screen.

The first pricing estimate is often wrong on multicities.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes up to 23 hours 59 minutes.
Actually it's 24 hours 00 minutes inclusive. IATA's definition is as follows:
Stopover means a deliberate interruption of a journey at an intermediate point from which the passenger is not scheduled to depart within 24 hours of arrival.
Arriving at 1200 and departing at 1200 the following day is still a connection, not a stopover. A 1201 departure would make it a stopover.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
I typically lurk in this thread but the below comment has me wondering what is going on. Please explain

Thanks

Cheers

Try continuing beyond the first screen.

The first pricing estimate is often wrong on multicities.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
I typically lurk in this thread but the below comment has me wondering what is going on. Please explain

Thanks

Cheers
From my discussions with ITA Hacker, and my own guesses about what is going on:

On a multicity itinerary, the sheer number of possible routes, carriers and fares can be enormously high. Also, if you ever read fare rules, you will know the allowable combination of different fares on different carriers can be quite complicated. So it is not sufficient to have a list of fares in price order, you also need to inspect each rule and confirm the proposed routing is allowed under it. And then you need to do that for every fare, every possible series of connections between the cities you want to go to, for each carrier. And if you have multiple fare components, you need to check that the combinations are mutually allowed. Plus each route has different taxes and fees to be checked, and the fuel surcharge as well.

It gets to a point where it is no longer computationally feasible to crunch through all the possible combinations and compute the price on each one. ITA have recently raised the search time to 90 seconds, which has been helpful, but at some point a number of options have to be discarded before they are even reviewed. Hopefully it throws away the most expensive options.

ITA designs a number of very intelligent algorithms to try to figure out the fare combinations in advance that are likely to work together and are likely to be cheap. This is actually the product they sell to travel agents and airlines.

Once you have pinned down the first few sectors on your itinerary, the computational difficulty of the problem has fallen by several orders of magnitude, and the ITA Software can now recalculate the remaining possibilities, whereupon it suddenly discovers there is a much cheaper way of pricing the proposed itinerary available.

Last edited by Calchas; Apr 20, 2015 at 6:12 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 am

Apologies for the newbie question - but trying to combine two postpending commands and not having any luck.

Trying: / alliance oneworld, -overnight

I get "QPX Warning. Malformed SLICE-COMMAND-LINE: alliance expects exactly one argument"
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newaroundhere
Apologies for the newbie question - but trying to combine two postpending commands and not having any luck.

Trying: / alliance oneworld, -overnight

I get "QPX Warning. Malformed SLICE-COMMAND-LINE: alliance expects exactly one argument"
Use a semicolon to separate arguments after the slash
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:21 am

Use a semicolon to separate arguments after the slash
Thanks much
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: M&M
Once you have pinned down the first few sectors on your itinerary, the computational difficulty of the problem has fallen by several orders of magnitude, and the ITA Software can now recalculate the remaining possibilities, whereupon it suddenly discovers there is a much cheaper way of pricing the proposed itinerary available.
Would this also mean that, in theory, time bars/individual flights is more taxing and takes much longer (and errors out much more often) but also delivers superior results?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Would this also mean that, in theory, time bars/individual flights is more taxing and takes much longer (and errors out much more often) but also delivers superior results?
I don't know ... I would not want to speculate too much. Quite often the time bars thing only shows you a few options anyway. I always use time bars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.