FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   TIP: More hidden features of ITA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/330932-tip-more-hidden-features-ita.html)

SeattleFred Jun 21, 04 1:34 am

TIP: More hidden features of ITA
 
Here are some more hidden features of the ITA software.

The extensions to the itasoftware routing language are accessed by postpending commands after a '/'. There's a wide set of commands available, but there's no description of them available on the ITA web site. Unfortunately, each command applies only to one part of the trip, so they must usually be entered in each box.

PREVENTING AIRLINES

Command is "-airlines XX ..."
Ex: prohibit Jet Blue or Delta
from: BOS ::/ -airlines B6 DL
to: LAX ::/ -airlines B6 DL

RESTRICTING TO AIRLINES

Command is "airlines XX ..."
Ex: consider only Jet Blue or Delta
from: BOS ::/ airlines B6 DL
to: LAX ::/ airlines B6 DL

LIMIT DURATION OF ITINERARY, IN MINUTES

Command is "maxdur XXX"
Ex: no more than 5hrs for each part of trip
from: BOS ::/ maxdur 300
to: LAX ::/ maxdur 300

PREVENT OVERNIGHT STOPS, AIRPORT CHANGES, REDEYES, PROPELLOR PLANES,
TRAINS, HELICOPTERS, ANY KIND OF SURFACE TRAVEL
Commands are "-overnight", "-change", "-redeye", "-prop", "-train", "-helicopter", "-surface"
Ex: no overnight stops, no airport chanes, no redeyes, no propellor planes
from: BOS ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop
to: LAX ::/ -overnight, -change, -redeye, -prop

SET MINIMUM OR MAXIMUM TIME FOR CONNECTIONS, IN MINUTES

Commands are "minconnect XX", "maxconnect XX"
Ex: no less than one hour, no more than two hour connections
from: BOS ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120
to: LAX ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 120

EXTRA CONNECTION TIME

Command is "padconnect XX"
Ex: require at least 20 minutes more than airline recommended
minimum connection time
from: BOS ::/ padconnect 20
to: LAX ::/ padconnect 20

PUTTING LOTS OF THINGS TOGETHER

Separate with commas.
Ex:
from: BOS :: UA UA / f bc=l|bc=y, -redeye, -prop
to: LAX :: UA+ / f ua.bos+lax.yup, padconnect 20, -overnight


------
On another note: CoMETS is coming along slowly but surely, as I add more features. New screenshots will be posted in a few days and I am hopeful that beta testing will start shortly thereafter.

iloveipods Jun 21, 04 7:33 am

thanks!
 
once again a great post. ita gets more useful every day. and now i know how to avoid those helicopter segments :D

nor4 Jun 22, 04 7:25 am

SeattleFred, do you know if anybody is consolidating all the ITA tips in one place? This is a goldmine of info, ^ ^ making all sorts of searches possible and easier than with other engines. :cool:

Maybe we could add this to a sticky on the MR forum?

SeattleFred Jun 22, 04 12:23 pm


Originally Posted by nor4
SeattleFred, do you know if anybody is consolidating all the ITA tips in one place? This is a goldmine of info, ^ ^ making all sorts of searches possible and easier than with other engines. :cool:

Maybe we could add this to a sticky on the MR forum?

bhatnasx has been adding these to the Mileage Run Tools (Part II) sticky at the top of this forum.

ITA Hacker Mar 30, 06 7:48 pm

One more tip
 
For those who hate regional jets (or like to get upgraded!), in addition to the various other trip constraints (e.g. -prop, -overnight), you can now specify

-nofirstclass

This removes from consideration all flights without a first class cabin. All flights returned will have a first class cabin (though it will still quote you a coach price if that's what you've asked for).

Should remove all prop planes and any regional jet (or big jet!) without a first class cabin.

NHFL9 Mar 30, 06 8:40 pm


Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
For those who hate regional jets (or like to get upgraded!), in addition to the various other trip constraints (e.g. -prop, -overnight), you can now specify

-nofirstclass

This removes from consideration all flights without a first class cabin. All flights returned will have a first class cabin (though it will still quote you a coach price if that's what you've asked for).

Should remove all prop planes and any regional jet (or big jet!) without a first class cabin.

That is fantastic, thank you! :)

mahasamatman Mar 30, 06 8:48 pm

I would love to att the /airlines option implement alliances. Something like /airlines *A (for Star Alliance) or /airlines OW (for OneWorld). ITA Hacker - any chance?

sadiqhassan Mar 30, 06 8:53 pm

I think this is a good place to ask because I haven't found an answer so far:

Suppose I wanted to find flight between Toronto and London Heathrow

on BA in T or W class OR on AC in C or S class. How would I enter it?

I have tried YYZ:: BA / f bc = W?| bc = T?, AC / f bc = C?| bc = S?

but it hasn't worked. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

redbeard911 Mar 30, 06 9:44 pm


Originally Posted by ITA Hacker
-nofirstclass

When I first saw this I started hyperventilating. :eek:

Then I read the rest of the post. ;)

IceTrojan Mar 30, 06 9:45 pm

Nice... and here I thought I was bored with ITA ;)

ITA Hacker Mar 31, 06 4:52 am


Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would love to att the /airlines option implement alliances. Something like /airlines *A (for Star Alliance) or /airlines OW (for OneWorld). ITA Hacker - any chance?

What, you don't want the ability to specify Executive Airlines (carrier code OW) in your query? :)

More seriously, the alliances are constantly changing, and keeping track of which airlines are in which alliances isn't something we've had to do up until now. The schedule data we receive theoretically contains this information (an alliance identifier for each flight), but the last time I checked it was very incomplete.

Still, we might add this functionality in the future. The best way to ask for enhancements is to go through the comments link on the site, though.

Until we have such a functionality, though, you can of course just cut and paste the list of airlines into the search box.

ITA Hacker Mar 31, 06 4:57 am


Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I think this is a good place to ask because I haven't found an answer so far:

Suppose I wanted to find flight between Toronto and London Heathrow

on BA in T or W class OR on AC in C or S class. How would I enter it?

I have tried YYZ:: BA / f bc = W?| bc = T?, AC / f bc = C?| bc = S?

but it hasn't worked. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

You can only have one "route specification" and one "faring specification" per box. Nevertheless, it's possible to cram what you're trying to do into one of each.

To constrain fare basis codes, you can do:

YYZ:: BA,AC / f ba..w-|ba..t-|ac..c-|ac..s-

Constraining booking codes is somewhat more difficult. Let me know if you'd rather do that and I'll figure out what the syntax would be.

ProggerPete Nov 26, 07 6:53 am

I'm not getting how this is meant to work,

I put in LON::/ -airlines BD
and FRA::/ -airlines BD

expecting to only get results back for BMI flights but instead get

KLM, United, Lufthansa, British Airways, etc, etc.

What's the go?

GoingAway Nov 26, 07 7:06 am


Originally Posted by ProggerPete (Post 8789332)
I'm not getting how this is meant to work,

I put in LON::/ -airlines BD
and FRA::/ -airlines BD

expecting to only get results back for BMI flights but instead get

KLM, United, Lufthansa, British Airways, etc, etc.

What's the go?

From post #1 above ... BOS :: UA Just replace BOS with LON and UA with BD-- you'll see BMI flights. Spaces are important, I think this works. Hope it does & helps.

Xyzzy Nov 26, 07 7:06 am

Duplicate


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:14 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.