FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mileage Run Discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion-627/)
-   -   TIP: More hidden features of ITA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-discussion/330932-tip-more-hidden-features-ita.html)

schley Feb 28, 2010 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Cellisttoo (Post 13481741)
Anyway to search for Premium Economy seats on ITA? On some international airlines PE (e.g NZ, SG, AN) is a seperate cabin with enhanced seats and food. This is what I am looking for- not UA's E+...

There is a way to search by fare bucket, and it was posted within the last month or so. I would say that would be the way.

tale Mar 1, 2010 4:21 pm

No YQ

Is there a way to do month long search without yq

ITA Hacker Mar 2, 2010 8:09 am

Originally Posted by tale (Post 13490426)

No, sorry. We always include all taxes and surcharges in the final total.

aktchi Mar 2, 2010 10:04 am

Originally Posted by tale (Post 13490426)

Originally Posted by ITA Hacker (Post 13494196)
No, sorry. We always include all taxes and surcharges in the final total.

However, from the first search one can figure out which airlines are including substantial YQ on your route and which ones are not. Then one can limit the later searches to one or the other group.

caldwell Mar 21, 2010 12:06 pm

No tight connections?

Is there an advanced switch I can provide to exclude all "tight connection" routings?

Also, I know that "-change" prevents routings with a change of airports between legs (so no red "EWR/JFK" in the Stops column). But how do I force ITA to use the same airport for the outbound and return legs of a round trip? When you use a semicolon-separated list of destinations (e.g. "AUS;MCI;MEM"), it does no good to fly into AUS and out of MEM...

schley Mar 21, 2010 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by caldwell (Post 13618821)
Is there an advanced switch I can provide to exclude all "tight connection" routings?

Also, I know that "-change" prevents routings with a change of airports between legs (so no red "EWR/JFK" in the Stops column). But how do I force ITA to use the same airport for the outbound and return legs of a round trip? When you use a semicolon-separated list of destinations (e.g. "AUS;MCI;MEM"), it does no good to fly into AUS and out of MEM...

I don't know the answer to your first question. Not sure that is doable, but nothing surprises me with ITA functions.

I believe you have the or airport within xxx amount of miles showing some number. Set that to zero and search again. It will only bring back your departure airport RT.

SmilingBoy Mar 21, 2010 12:26 pm

Doesn't "padconnect" kind of result in what you want? My guess is that if the minimum connection time is, say, 30 minutes, you might get a tight connection warning for connections between 30 and 60 minutes. If you want to exclude the tight connections you would just use "padconnect 30" as it will increase MCT by 30 minutes.

Now you just need to experiment to find out up to how many minutes above MCT are called a tight connection.

Mr. Bean Mar 21, 2010 12:39 pm

If you go to advanced then there is a box to prevent airport changes. This is different from the one you've mentioned (for connections).

caldwell Mar 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 13618946)
Doesn't "padconnect" kind of result in what you want? My guess is that if the minimum connection time is, say, 30 minutes, you might get a tight connection warning for connections between 30 and 60 minutes. If you want to exclude the tight connections you would just use "padconnect 30" as it will increase MCT by 30 minutes.

That looks like it'd work. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean (Post 13619018)
If you go to advanced then there is a box to prevent airport changes. This is different from the one you've mentioned (for connections).

Perfect! I hadn't thought to look under the "more options" link. Thanks!

aktchi Mar 21, 2010 3:23 pm

You can set minimum and/or maximum connection times yourself. For example, no less than 60 minutes and no more than 180 minutes -

to: LHR ::/ minconnect 60, maxconnect 180

This feature should be used sparingly and very conservatively. In the above example, would you really want to avoid a great connection at a great price just because it was 57 minutes or 184 minutes? Similarly, what is a tight connection time at one airport may well be comfortable at another. This is where auto-thinking by software does not work for me. I prefer to pretend to be far more flexible than I really am, and then select my flights manually.

Originally Posted by SmilingBoy (Post 13618946)
Doesn't "padconnect" kind of result in what you want?

Minconenct and maxconnect specify absolute times in minutes; padconnect specifies extra time over the airline recommended minimum. To specify at least 30 minutes more than the airline recommended minimum connection time -

to: JFK ::/ padconnect 30

Same precaution applies here: Be very conservative. You wouldn't want to miss a great flight that fell only a few minutes outside your criteria.

How do I force ITA to use the same airport for the outbound and return legs of a round trip? When you use a semicolon-separated list of destinations (e.g. "AUS;MCI;MEM")...

Uncheck the box that says "Allow Airport Changes". :)

tale Apr 15, 2010 2:08 pm

Fare class on a leg of a trip

Hello how do I specify a fare class on a part of the leg of the trip.

For example I am going NYC::PEK - BKK

how do I specify :: / f bc=b on the part NYC-PEK leg?

Corylopsis Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Say if you'd like to specify a B fare class on the NYC-PEK segment.
Use the multi-city search option.
and type in NYC:: /f bc=b in the origin of the first segment
and type in PEK in the destination of the first segment

and leave PEK-BKK to the second segment and so forth

Originally Posted by tale (Post 13778717)
Hello how do I specify a fare class on a part of the leg of the trip.

For example I am going NYC::PEK - BKK

how do I specify :: / f bc=b on the part NYC-PEK leg?

ivk5 Apr 16, 2010 3:38 am

Originally Posted by Corylopsis (Post 13778784)
Say if you'd like to specify a B fare class on the NYC-PEK segment.
Use the multi-city search option.
and type in NYC:: /f bc=b in the origin of the first segment
and type in PEK in the destination of the first segment

and leave PEK-BKK to the second segment and so forth

Only works for Specific Dates searches, not Month-long, so utility somewhat limited. I don't know how to accomplish this for a Month-long.

tale Apr 18, 2010 2:41 pm

It would be great if you could define fare bucket on a Transatlantic /pacific segment and then take whatever segment is cheapest for the rest of the connections.

schley Apr 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by tale (Post 13796685)
It would be great if you could define fare bucket on a Transatlantic /pacific segment and then take whatever segment is cheapest for the rest of the connections.

fare restrictions prevent this many times. For example if you book your over water in W (and W is the lowest available) then it many times won't book anything lower than W for your domestic segments. It has to be in the fare restrictions somewhere and not really worth time to read and figure it out. A less time consuming way of doing it is calling and constructing it with an agent who will know if it is possible for your city routings.