Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] KLM/AF Hel - Sin $727 ow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] KLM/AF Hel - Sin $727 ow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: OneWorld
Originally Posted by criced
What has the alliance Skyteam to do with this fare from AFKLM?
Skyteam has a long history being sucked in Asia already. It’s bad name is not just form by only one single incident.
One major point is that Skyteam is not as united as other alliance. Many restrictions of benefits interchange within the Skyteam. Also, when flight got cancelled, the other 2 alliance can get you in their member’s flight. Skyteam cannot, like they have 0 relationship.
Just want to point out this mess from Skyteam member is not surprised at all.

Last edited by KualaLumpur; Dec 19, 2023 at 12:51 am
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:44 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

I had one purchased with AF - and I did not touch this nor called anyone to request for status. However, yesterday, I received an email from AF which indicated the refund process has started and I was refunded the full amount without any action from my side. It has still has not hit my credit card yet.
However another ticket issued by KLM, initially it was reinstated, but now they have removed the 1st segment and my last segment which was operated by another airline - no further information on this ticket.

Cheers!
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:55 am

I am sorry this is my first post in the forum but here is the info from this morning I got from AF agent regarding my 2 bookings with them:
"Please note as you have mentioned, when the tickets were booked on 08 December 2023 our commercial teams quickly detected this technical incident and immediately suspended the publications and proceeded with all similar tickets cancellation. Under normal circumstances the ticket should not be possible to be revalidated but the initially booked faulty fare allowed the revalidation when you called us on 13 December 2023. Please note that our dedicated team works hard to cancel and proceed with full refund of all tickets which were revalidated after the initial cancellation. The order in which these tickets are being cancelled and refund processed is determined by a queue list provided from the central department to this responsible team.
Please note very soon (today or in just the following few days) they will proceed with the full cancellation of your reservation and right after that the refund process will be initiated. As per the internal company announcement published due to this situation we are sorry to inform you that these faulty bookings can not be reissued to keep the reservations active."
My bookings are still active and I can choose seats. On the phone yesterday the agent said everything OK with my bookings but later she noticed they are marked for cancelation (also she said she tried to rebook/change flight for me to avoid cancelation but the reservation is blocked from higher department and she can't do anything with it.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by KualaLumpur
Skyteam has a long history being sucked in Asia already.
What happens in Asia, stays in Asia!!!

Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:06 am

Programs: BA gold, AF Platinum, IHG/hilton diamond/bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by perfusionist1982
This is getting weirder and weirder. The agent yesterday said the ticket is cancelled and the refund is in progress. The ticket is still active. I checked with "Checkmytrip" and that shows the ticket is active. I am Able to change seats. I also called Customer service again today and the lady I spoke to said the ticket is active! Not cancelled! What am I to make out of it.

I also booked one of those 1500 FB miles ticket from YUL to LIL and that shows as cancelled on my app. But when I called customer service, they confirmed that ticket is active too. Not sure why that would show up with a little red cancelled message right next to the booking.
Given you are flying on Dec31 and we are less than 2 weeks now, and since your ticket was reinstated you have not received any formal communication from them (email or direct refunds), it is definitely bad from their part if they do not let you fly..
Having a booking that is alive according to some posts above do not mean much as there is a note attached to such bookings.
notwithstanding all this,it seems AF has taken a different approach by honoring tickets for their loyal members so I would argue given it is less than 2 weeks and if you are gold and above might be worth a shot calling them to complain about the upcoming travel date for you to get it reinstated and cleared once and for all!

It would be a different story if they had sent you a similar email to the one they sent on dec 8th after you got reinstated but does not sound like they did.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:44 am

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by cmoltisanti
lol, one of my itineraries with a third party airline involved was not reinstated, I contacted them again and now I received this reply:

Apologies for this. While I'm checking your booking I noticed that a remark from our internal department has been made. Have you received an email regarding the cancellation of the booking itself?

Air France-KLM confirms that following a technical incident, incorrect fares - abnormally low - were offered for sale on Air France's commercial websites on departure from several Northern European countries to long-haul destinations. The Group's commercial teams quickly detected this technical incident and reacted immediately to suspend the publication of these incorrect fares.

Bookings containing this error for flights departing in more than 14 days will be cancelled and the customers concerned will be informed by email. They will be offered a full refund.

Tickets issued for departures in less than 14 days will be honored.

Air France and KLM apologize to customers impacted by this incident. The Group's commercial teams are fully mobilized to assist them as needed.

Can you take a screenshot of this email reply? it's a piece of great evidence to show that Air France - KLM group is discriminating same fare tickets with different departure dates! Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:10 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
So, what's the protocol here in terms of trying to figure out whether the ticket is active/confirmed without also calling attention to the ticket itself? What would you suggest?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
So, what's the protocol here in terms of trying to figure out whether the ticket is active/confirmed without also calling attention to the ticket itself? What would you suggest?
Just give it time I guess. Is anyone here flying in January? If we don't hear anything soon then I guess it's gonna be a situation where the earliest flyers next year are guinea pigs.
ALEXY267 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Unfortunately based on the comments/posts from everyone so far, there does not seem to be a right answer...

Wait and see is the logical option but for someone who has a booking on dec 31, I can understand this is not a solution.. AF/KL should have definitely communicated again after dec 13th..
I have one booking coming up mid january and so I have decided to not do anything but wait and see until 2.5 weeks before to maybe call platinum line and query then.

Maybe by then they would have cancelled and refunded but it is anybody's guess.. Especially then clearly they have decided to keep some tickets for some people! Whilst enlightening in a way, tbh it also makes it confusing for the rest.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by milesaddict
Customer Service Manager, he had the approval for the upper management toreinstated the ticket as initially bought (J class fully flexible).
While it's a positive outcome for me, I should not have sent such an email to get the attention and a result.

Mistake fares or very low fares will keep happening, some airlines will own it some will behave like AF/KL.

While we know it's within the "bargain" category, the average Joe who does not understand how airline fares are structured will not get it (even more if he buys from OTA).

Again a 1400 RT tix in J and a OW at half the price, it does make sense for the average Joe.

In regards to the refund and before having the discussion with the CS Manager, I had different feedbacks:
- You need to ask for a refund
- Refunds are on the way
- It's going to take 2 to 3 weeks
The best agent (ironic) I spoke to was the one who said: we have the right to do anything.
Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. I agree with you on the pricing issue etc.. It is indeed interesting though that they decided to keep your ticket back. I assume you are an ultimate platinum AF flier that is why. Good gesture- happy for you.

Shame they are not communicating clearly and better otherwise for the rest. They were quick to cancel but far too slow to communicate thereafter/provide information regarding refunds clearly.
milesaddict, 336 and awaywego1 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze
It's been 10 days. Has anyone actually received the refund?

If they swiftly cancel, they should swiftly refund. A lot has gone in between.

Not very professional, AFKL
I finally got an email a couple of days ago from AF saying they had refunded me but in reality there is no refund into my Amex as of now!

UPDATE - FULL REFUND RECEIVED TODAY 20 DEC.

Last edited by Kiwibrit62; Dec 20, 2023 at 3:32 am
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by awaywego1
Just give it time I guess. Is anyone here flying in January? If we don't hear anything soon then I guess it's gonna be a situation where the earliest flyers next year are guinea pigs.
Makes sense to me. I'll hang tight. I just hate the idea that I'm giving AF/KL an interest-free loan...
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:05 pm

Programs: AP 75k
Requested a refund online (AF) and got it back 2 days later.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:38 pm

Hello, I am in a sticky situation and would appreciate it if you guys could help or guide me.

I took part in this ''special deal'' and booked a flight from Oslo-Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur, and I was due to fly out within 3 days on 23 December. But today (19 December) AF/KL canceled my flight as well. I called AF/KL and tried to have the ticket reinstated/rebooked but the agent I spoke with told me that the AF/KL revenue management had canceled it and the ticket was put on refund and nothing more could be done.

I had just a few days ago booked a non-refundable hotel for a few nights and a flight back to Europe from Kuala Lumpur. My hotel expenses and my flight back to europe have set me back around 1000 Euros.

I have a few questions about compensation and reimbursement.
Because my ticket was canceled on this short notice (within 14 days) of departure and not the particular flight itself can I claim EU261 compensation?

If I book a new ticket with another airline in Business class can I claim back my ticket expenses from AF/KL because they canceled my flight on short notice and did not rebook me?

If I decide to not travel can I request to be reimbursed for my hotel and my flight back home to Europe?

What steps should I take next, Anything important I should do in this situation?

Thank you
Old Dec 19, 2023, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by bossflying
Hello, I am in a sticky situation and would appreciate it if you guys could help or guide me.

I took part in this ''special deal'' and booked a flight from Oslo-Amsterdam-Kuala Lumpur, and I was due to fly out within 3 days on 23 December. But today (19 December) AF/KL canceled my flight as well. I called AF/KL and tried to have the ticket reinstated/rebooked but the agent I spoke with told me that the AF/KL revenue management had canceled it and the ticket was put on refund and nothing more could be done.

I had just a few days ago booked a non-refundable hotel for a few nights and a flight back to Europe from Kuala Lumpur. My hotel expenses and my flight back to europe have set me back around 1000 Euros.

I have a few questions about compensation and reimbursement.
Because my ticket was canceled on this short notice (within 14 days) of departure and not the particular flight itself can I claim EU261 compensation?

If I book a new ticket with another airline in Business class can I claim back my ticket expenses from AF/KL because they canceled my flight on short notice and did not rebook me?

If I decide to not travel can I request to be reimbursed for my hotel and my flight back home to Europe?

What steps should I take next, Anything important I should do in this situation?

Thank you
few things to clarify:
1) did you receive the cancellation email on Dec 8th?
2) was this ticket one of those that was reinstated after Dec 13th?
3)when you say Dec 19th they cancelled, you mean you received a formal notification by email only for the first time about this ticket and before that not a single communication about this ticket ? Therefore no refunds yet as at Dec 19th?
4) when you checked your booking on MMB prior to 19th, it was alive and normal? No red cancellation banner?
5) was this a 074 ticket or a 057 ticket by AF?

At this stage , if AF/KLM is refusing to help, travel insurance would kick in…

but for you to push your claims with insurance you need to get all the facts above right.

Conditions for compensation and reimbursement under Eu261 are not met based on the details you gave. But this has been a mess so appealing to AF/KLM first would be certainly best resort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.