Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] KLM/AF Hel - Sin $727 ow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] KLM/AF Hel - Sin $727 ow

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:14 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
Originally Posted by the810
Got my money today, 2 days after the email confirming it. KL ticketed, AF marketed, KL operated 😂
Got mine too.
But they didn't refund the payment surcharge of EUR11 each.
AF KL are really like pickpockets !

Last edited by SQueeze; Jan 1, 2024 at 2:44 am
Old Dec 31, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by SQueeze
Got mine too.
But they did refund the payment surcharge of EUR11 each.
They did or did not refund you the credit card surcharge? Can you clarify, please?
Old Jan 1, 2024, 2:44 am

Programs: SQ QPP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Taj Inner Circle Gold
They did not.
Corrected my post
Old Jan 1, 2024, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by SQueeze
Got mine too.
But they didn't refund the payment surcharge of EUR11 each.
you can call in to get them to refund the credit card fees
Old Jan 2, 2024, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by jongesander
Had a voicemail from KLM last Saturday telling me that they will honor my ticket for October '24.

​​​​​
What did you do to make this happen
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:35 pm

Programs: BA gold, AF Platinum, IHG/hilton diamond/bonvoy titanium
Anyone flew their ticket over the last week? If yes please feedback if all went ok.

my 4 tickets are still showing as active and everything seems normal. All had been reinstated following the second communication and since then nothing from KLM or AF.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:35 pm

Which second communication are you referring to?

I don't think anyone's flown yet since the person on the 22nd of Dec. We're all waiting for you to let us know how it goes 😂
Old Jan 3, 2024, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA gold, AF Platinum, IHG/hilton diamond/bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by awaywego1
Which second communication are you referring to?

I don't think anyone's flown yet since the person on the 22nd of Dec. We're all waiting for you to let us know how it goes 😂
apologies if unclear. I meant after Dec 13th or whatever date there was interaction with them to reinstate tickets.

I thought some had tickets in the last week and asked questions before. So maybe they did not fly in the end.

anyway no news is good news I guess.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by ALEXY267
apologies if unclear. I meant after Dec 13th or whatever date there was interaction with them to reinstate tickets.

I thought some had tickets in the last week and asked questions before. So maybe they did not fly in the end.

anyway no news is good news I guess.
Ah, yes. @strayersong's friend flew on the 22nd. I doubt the ticket was cancelled though.

When is your flight?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:20 am

Based on earlier reports, I believed all upcoming reinstated flights were confirmed and ready for departure. As long as they're marked as active, issued and able to select seats, especially with the deducted/credited amounts from your account, I see no issues. I'm ready to fly and have covered all additional expenses; I'll update you in March. Best of luck to everyone flying!
haroon145 and awaywego1 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by cmoltisanti
Based on earlier reports, I believed all upcoming reinstated flights were confirmed and ready for departure. As long as they're marked as active, issued and able to select seats, especially with the deducted/credited amounts from your account, I see no issues. I'm ready to fly and have covered all additional expenses; I'll update you in March. Best of luck to everyone flying!
I alerted a friend, who lives in Helsinki, about this fare. He booked it, it was cancelled the next day. I felt bad about it, but he was totally OK, accepted the situation with a shrug, and waited for his refund. The reservation was "dead" online, but today he checked the original KLM booking to see if there's word of the refund.

The booking is again extant, reinstated, with one of the flights re-scheduled, and everything open for seat changes etc. The ticket though is now marked as no-refund allowed: which alarmed him as he's made alternative arrangements and was expecting a refund. Panic call to me, then to KLM, who confirmed the flight IS marked as cancelled in the "back office' and is in the refund queue.

What a mess. Friend is fine, reassured the refund is on its way, but I can see potential tears for those who believe their ticket is reinstated, intend using it and have made other arrangements.

I have no idea if there are multiple scenarios with some tickets fully reinstated, others reinstated by a system glitch, and others fully cancelled, dead.

I advised friend to initiate a charge-back to end the refund farce. I think others with reinstated tickets might want to go against their instincts, and check the situation with AF/KLM, or at least hold off making hotel bookings etc etc
z4017 and Deckter like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 7:38 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Also, although the email says you will receive a full refund, if you haven't asked for one you're basically in the back of a never ending queue for refunds. Chargeback it and let them cop the chargeback fees from the processor as by default they don't even refund the payment fees. I don't mind they don't honor the fare but they should at least then not even capture the authorisation on the card or refund automatically, We all just gave a free loan to AF/KLM with this one.
olm022 and hnandito like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 8:01 am

To me, it's straightforward logic: if the booking stays active and I haven't received any refund, I'm definitely taking the flight. Should they deny boarding, it strengthens the case for court. No risk, no fun!
as mentioned above - I'll stand by it: if my money isn't refunded and the booking remains active, I'll take the flight! Whether I'm in a queue for refund or not, we'll sort it out by then. I'm prepared to face any consequences that arise from this decision... if you cant handle it - then don't play this game, ask for a refund, stay home stay safe.
haroon145 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: FB, M&B, UA, AA
as mentioned above - I'll stand by it: if my money isn't refunded and the booking remains active, I'll take the flight! Whether I'm in a queue for refund or not, we'll sort it out by then. I'm prepared to face any consequences that arise from this decision... if you cant handle it - then don't play this game, ask for a refund, stay home stay safe.
But in many ways this is total madness. Most people who booked have to decide about a positioning flight, taking days off, or if they had to fly, decide about an alternative way of travelling to Asia. This is an absolute mess on KLM's behalf. Either you cancel everything unambiguously and inform people of it. And make an excuse beforehand that refunding may take a week or so or more. Or give an explanation why it could take 3 weeks (and maybe give some miles as goodwill gesture). And in an oiled machine your staff knows which tickets should never be re-instated, as has been done. Or, alternatively, as KLM you take the loss and honor the fare.

At this point too many people seem left in the grey - or should I say twilight - zone. And how difficult can it be to trace these tickets automatically? It were bookings in a time window of maybe 24 hours or less, all starting in Helsinki (or at worst Norway/Sweden/Finland, a few airports), all one way.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Greetings from Manila, Philippines! Recently arrived here after booking this fare with a flight from Helsinki via Amsterdam with KLM.

Below are the timeline of events and communications with KLM for this journey:
  • December 8: Booked a flight from Helsinki to Manila (via Taipei) for Early January.
  • December 9: Received an email from KLM informing of an error fare and assuring a refund for the ticket.
  • December 13: Contacted KLM via WhatsApp, and the ticket was reinstated within minutes.
  • December 31: Received an email from KLM with an 'invoice' for the ticket, indicating not to reinstate it and that a refund would follow (See attached).
  • January 1: Successfully checked in for the flights and received the boarding pass all the way to Manila. Also booked a positioning flight to Helsinki after ensuring I had the boarding passes in hand.
  • January 2 (Day of flight): Passed through security smoothly within 2 minutes of entering the terminal. While in the lounge, received a text message from KLM stating, "We need to update some of your details before departure. Please report to an agent at gate 19." (See attached)
    • Fortunately, this was a simple check of my passport/visa (not needed) and verification of onward travel from the Philippines (they asked for a return ticket or proof of further travel since this was a one-way ticket). They also confirmed I had the QR code to enter the Philippines https://etravel.gov.ph/.

Overall, had a very positive outcome and experience. (Oh, and guess what? Scored another one of those charming KLM houses!)

Thanks OP and fellow contributors in this thread for your valuable insights and assistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.