Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.

Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by lisaann
Departure Airport: DCA/BWI/JFK/
MQD Needed: $1500
MQM:
Required Spend or Budget: $3500
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL is preferred with limited partner

Hi,
I am currently a GM and trying to maintain it for the year. Have an upcoming trip and trying to maximize miles/spend as effectively as possible. Leave JFK 9/22 or 9/23 open to any destination DL flies from the above airports. Need to arrive in LHR on 9/25 or 9/26. I leave LHR on 10/20 for BWI. Any suggestions would be great.
One suggestion is to fly Virgin Atlantic (Economy Delight class) from BWI to LHR (Sept 24 - Oct. 20, $1127). The trip will earn about $1900 MQD and 9700 MQMs. You can pick up the remaining MQMs with a BWI-LAS-BWI (roughly 4000 MQMs) on Sept 23 (getting back into BWI the morning of the 24th in time to leave for LHR.)
Old Jul 27, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
One suggestion is to fly Virgin Atlantic (Economy Delight class) from BWI to LHR (Sept 24 - Oct. 20, $1127). The trip will earn about $1900 MQD and 9700 MQMs. You can pick up the remaining MQMs with a BWI-LAS-BWI (roughly 4000 MQMs) on Sept 23 (getting back into BWI the morning of the 24th in time to leave for LHR.)
A few days earlier you can go IAD-LHR in Premium Economy not Economy for $1178
MQMs 150% 11031
MQDs 30% 2206
MQD Ratio 1.87
Old Jul 27, 2022, 6:49 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Trying to maintain Gold

If I book Premium on Virgin for BWI - LHR ($2342) would that be a better or could I book IAD-LHR($1602) on Virgin Premium - same dates?

Old Jul 28, 2022, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by lisaann
If I book Premium on Virgin for BWI - LHR ($2342) would that be a better or could I book IAD-LHR($1602) on Virgin Premium - same dates?
Either would be fine. If IAD is not out of the way, I would probably do that to save $700. The earnings would be as JFKEZE posted ....... about 11,000 MQMs and $2200 MQDs. You would book on the Virgin Atlantic website for either option.

You would still be a few MQMs short but a short / quick trip should fix that.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Trying my hardest to land Diamond status this year! I'm also open to multiple 2-3 runs to get to my goal. Thanks in advance for any insights!

Departure Airport: ATL/NYC/MIA/Any east coast hub
MQD Needed: 11,000
Required Spend or Budget: Sub $2000
Available Travel Dates: Any dates before December 2022
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any partner
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by dejonnolard
Trying my hardest to land Diamond status this year! I'm also open to multiple 2-3 runs to get to my goal. Thanks in advance for any insights!

MQD Needed: 11,000
Required Spend or Budget: Sub $2000
Welcome to FlyerTalk, I hate to bring bad news but under 2000 cash for 11000 MQDs will be VERY hard, I posted several of the TIJ deals listed above, and another user canuck_traveler has posted some great deals to JNB.

Your best option is to do several JNB runs in what is called Economy Delight which credit 25% of distance as MQDs or 4500 MQDs per trip at some 1200-1400 a trip...

Another option is to look at going to TIJ and doing several trips from there...

Without looking at it too much, probably under 3000 is more reasonable without too many positioning flights, but probably can be improved with some further analysis...
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:23 pm

Departure Airport: FSD but can reposition to any where in US, Canada
Destination - ICN in 2nd week of September would be nice but doesn't have to be. ICN via AeroMexico maybe?
MQD Needed: $7000
MQM: none
Available Travel Dates: any time 2022
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Partner preferred for better MQD
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:26 pm

Diamond Status Run

MQD Needed: $9000
MQM Needed: 50,000
Required Spend or Budget: sub $4000

open to doing multiple runs or repositioning out of the west coast
Old Jul 29, 2022, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Jonathanpeterwu
MQD Needed: $9000
MQM Needed: 50,000
Required Spend or Budget: sub $4000

open to doing multiple runs or repositioning out of the west coast
Virgin Atlantic, Economy Delight class (V), MIA-LHR-JNB-LHR-MIA, about 25,000 MQMs, $5000 MQDs

e.g. Sept 23 - 25, $1457, long layovers in LHR on outbound and inbound, 9 hours in JNB, many dates available at the $1457 price, book on Virgin Atlantic website
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:09 am

Virgin Atlantic in Economy Delight class is available for $1678 for AUS-LHR-JNB-LHR-AUS earning about $5250 MQDs. Various dates at this price starting in September (e.g. Nov 11 - 13). Use the flexible date search on the Virgin Atlantic website to find something that matches your schedule. You can get the remaining needed MQDs with several TIJ - XXX runs in business class on Aero Mexico.
just booked this trip from AUS! Secures platinum for me & I’ll already be near platinum MQMs for next year. Thanks for sharing this flight path!
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:50 pm

MQDs needed for Diamond

Departure Airport: NY (JFK/LGA)
Miles Needed: Need ~7K MQDs for Diamond (already have more than enough MQMs)
Required Spend or Budget: $2-3k (or more if needed, but spending >$5/6k would be tough- just trying to maximize value hence coming to the experts)
Available Travel Dates: September 2nd-5th, Late Oct/Early Nov, Late Dec (~25th or NYE)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Delta and/or any Partner airlines with MQD value (e.g. aeromexico, virgin)

***Additional Notes*** :: Looking for easy entry/exit re: covid protocols etc >> I can do 1 solo mile/MQD run (pref LAX,ATL,LHR,etc), and 1 or 2 other trips/vacation with my wife (destination preferences: TIJ, Japan, Paris, Portugal)) | I also plan to use my 400K Skymiles, $300 delta gift card, 2 reg companion certs (where possible in route, for my wife's tickets), 3 reg upgrade certs (where possible in route, for my wife's tickets) (will be trying to keep costs down esp for her tickets since I don't get MQD benefits for those..)

Thank you in advance !!
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by lxp4904
Departure Airport: NY (JFK/LGA)
Miles Needed: Need ~7K MQDs for Diamond (already have more than enough MQMs)
Required Spend or Budget: $2-3k (or more if needed, but spending >$5/6k would be tough- just trying to maximize value hence coming to the experts)
Available Travel Dates: September 2nd-5th, Late Oct/Early Nov, Late Dec (~25th or NYE)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Delta and/or any Partner airlines with MQD value (e.g. aeromexico, virgin)

***Additional Notes*** :: Looking for easy entry/exit re: covid protocols etc >> I can do 1 solo mile/MQD run (pref LAX,ATL,LHR,etc), and 1 or 2 other trips/vacation with my wife (destination preferences: TIJ, Japan, Paris, Portugal)) | I also plan to use my 400K Skymiles, $300 delta gift card, 2 reg companion certs (where possible in route, for my wife's tickets), 3 reg upgrade certs (where possible in route, for my wife's tickets) (will be trying to keep costs down esp for her tickets since I don't get MQD benefits for those..)

Thank you in advance !!
For your solo trip, how about Capetown? Virgin Atlantic, Economy Delight fare, about $4500 MQDs, long layover (overnight in LHR on return)
e.g.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ilspy
Departure Airport: FSD but can reposition to any where in US, Canada
Destination - ICN in 2nd week of September would be nice but doesn't have to be. ICN via AeroMexico maybe?
MQD Needed: $7000
MQM: none
Available Travel Dates: any time 2022
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Partner preferred for better MQD
How about repositioning to LAX and then a Virgin Atlantic (economy delight class) mileage run to Capetown? Earn remaining MQDs with a AeroMexico TIJ run.

e.g. Nov 5 - 7, $1236, Earns about $5700 MQDs, long layover in LHR on return, various dates available (use Virgin Atlantic flexible date search)
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, National
Looking for help reaching Diamond for the first time. I have a tentative trip to Italy planned in October but would like some insurance on MQD. Budget is loose but would prefer to not break the bank.

Departure Airport:
ATL
MQD Needed: 8000
Required Spend or Budget: $1k - $2k
Available Travel Dates: Any dates before end of 2022
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by gottennis08
Looking for help reaching Diamond for the first time. I have a tentative trip to Italy planned in October but would like some insurance on MQD. Budget is loose but would prefer to not break the bank.

Departure Airport:
ATL
MQD Needed: 8000
Required Spend or Budget: $1k - $2k
Available Travel Dates: Any dates before end of 2022
Sounding like a broken record, how about Virgin Atlantic? There are some good prices to Capetown for November / early December travel. Though there are long layovers in LHR on both the outbound and inbound.
e.g. ATL - LHR - CPT - LHR - ATL in Economy Delight class will earn about $5000 MQDs and 25,000 MQMs.
jfkeze likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.