Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*:

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A SEPARATE THREAD.

----

NOTE: You will have greater chances of success if you have greater flexibility on travel dates and cost. If you need a lot of MQMs on weekends only for < 5 cpm it probably won't happen.

Other creative possibilities depending how many MQMs you need:
----

*"Required Metal or Codeshares" is, approximately, asking whether you need a flight operated specifically by Delta or if partner flights are ok. If you are just looking for MQMs to hit a Medallion tier the normal way, then the answer is yes. If you are doing a status challenge, the answer is also probably yes, but read the T&C of your challenge carefully to be sure (for the regular status challenge the answer is also "yes")

NOTE: some partner flights earn MQMs at reduced rates. See this chart for more info.

Newcomers may also be interested in the FlyerTalk Glossary

Need 4000+ MQDs?
If based in a city that is served by Virgin Atlantic such as IAD, JFK, BOS, MIA, LAS, LAX, SFO one of the best options is to fly to JNB or CPT via LHR. This can be done in a weekend and you can usually earn 4-5000 MQDs for under 1300-1600. You need to select Economy Delight which is similar to regular economy but with more legroom and the possibility of earning 20% of distance as MQDs. This is the most common way to earn large chunks at a cheap price.

Print Wikipost

DL/Sky Team: 2022 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2022, 9:05 pm

Looking for MQD Run to Reach Diamond

I've met MQM for Diamond, but am $11,801 from Diamond. With the remaining travel for this year, I should be at about $6500-$7K. I'm trying to find a MQD run or two that will help me reach diamond. Any help is appreciated.

Departure Airport:Tampa is home airport. Orlando can get out of but will reposition to maximize.
Miles Needed: NA
Required Spend or Budget: $1500-$2K
Available Travel Dates: September to December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any Skyteam
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No
Old May 28, 2022, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by lhicks21
I've met MQM for Diamond, but am $11,801 from Diamond. With the remaining travel for this year, I should be at about $6500-$7K. I'm trying to find a MQD run or two that will help me reach diamond. Any help is appreciated.

Departure Airport:Tampa is home airport. Orlando can get out of but will reposition to maximize.
Miles Needed: NA
Required Spend or Budget: $1500-$2K
Available Travel Dates: September to December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: DL or any Skyteam
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)? No
So you will be need between $8000 - $8500 MQDs.

You can try Virgin Atlantic, MIA-JNB (via LHR) in Economy Delight which will earn about $5000 MQDs. Maybe get the rest on a several AeroMexico TIJ runs?

e.g Sept 23 - 25, $1275 (Economy Delight, V fare class), about 25,000 MQMs, $5000 MQDs, long layovers in LHR on both inbound and outbound, try the flexible date search to see lower priced options in Sept - December
DeltaGoldLass likes this.
Old May 29, 2022, 7:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
MIA-TIJ can be found at times as low as $654
This example is just a day in TIJ, you could easily add a SJD or similar turn... MIA-TIJ would earn 8115 MQMs 2164 MQDs

Old May 29, 2022, 8:35 am

Thanks so much! Will definitely look at this and the MIA-TIJ runs.
Old May 29, 2022, 8:36 am

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to be on the west coast... wonder if I can sneak in a TIJ to MIA.
Old May 29, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta MM+ DM trusted traveler, goes, Marriott, IHG SPG. NH Hyatt, Hilton
Hi are there any JFK TIJ same day turn around a for great prices in August

Originally Posted by lhicks21
Thanks so much! Will definitely look at this and the MIA-TIJ runs.
through December please ? Also I DO have a China Visa. My business class max would be in the 1500.00 range to go anywhere sky tram with best earnings.
you are all GREAT
i really am a Diamond but haven’t changed name
namaste
nina
Old May 29, 2022, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by DeltaGoldLass
through December please ? Also I DO have a China Visa. My business class max would be in the 1500.00 range to go anywhere sky tram with best earnings.
you are all GREAT
i really am a Diamond but haven’t changed name
namaste
nina
Doing a search on ITA Matrix, there are various flights options (business class) from September to December starting at $1140. MQD earning is about $2800. MQMs about 10,500.
Below are a few examples for Sept. 10. August prices are a few hundred dollars higher.

jfkeze likes this.
Old May 30, 2022, 6:07 pm

MSP Mileage Run

Hey,

Looks like I'll be short of platinum this year, looking to close the gap:

Departure Airport: MSPMiles Needed: 9,400 MQM'sRequired Spend or Budget: flexible, obviously as low cost as reasonable Available Travel Dates: open, would like to avoid Wednesday+ Thursdays Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: YesDo you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: No

Let me know if you have any ideas!
Old May 30, 2022, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mspmilerun
Hey,

Departure Airport: MSPMiles Needed: 9,400 MQM'sRequired Spend or Budget: flexible, obviously as low cost as reasonable Available Travel Dates: open, would like to avoid Wednesday+ Thursdays Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: YesDo you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?: No

One option for travel in September is the Hawaiian islands (KOA/OGG/LIH). Prices in Main cabin for an immediate turn can be found in the $600 range for travel in September. MQM earning is in the 8000 MQM range depending on flight routing. Unfortunately, shorter flights to get the remaining 1500 MQMs are fairly expensive. A possibility is MSP-PHX-MSP for $300 (MC) which would get you about 2500 MQMs.

Last edited by canuck_traveler; May 30, 2022 at 10:01 pm Reason: add PHX option for remaining miles
Old May 31, 2022, 7:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
Originally Posted by Mspmilerun
Hey,

MSP-TIJ via MEX for $917 which would earn 9642 MQMs 2571 MQDs 2.80 MQD Ratio
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
Unfortunately, June is start of the summer travel season. If you are willing to wait until later in the year, there will probably be some better deals.

For $8000 MQDs, you will need to fly a pretty long distance. JFK-LHR-JNB-LHR-JFK on Virgin Atlantic Economy Delight class earns about $4500 MQDs.

e.g. May 28-29, $1225, depart Saturday and arrive back in New York on Monday (3 days travel). Other dates available but will require 4 days of travel and slightly higher prices.
Please help me out here...so spending $1,224.77 will yield about $4,500 MQDs? How is that possible as that almost 400% bonus isn't it?
Old Jun 2, 2022, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by audidudi
Please help me out here...so spending $1,224.77 will yield about $4,500 MQDs? How is that possible as that almost 400% bonus isn't it?
When one flies on a partner marketed flight (and credit to your Delta Skymiles account), the calculation for MQDs is based on the distance flown and the fare class. Virgin Atlantic's economy delight fare (V) earns 25% x distance flown for MQDs. Since the distance for this trip JFK-LHR-JNB-LHR-JFK is roughly 18,000 miles the earning for MQD is $4500 (18,000 x 0.25)

Note that the MQD earning is different for each partner airline. You can get more details from the Delta website link here.
jfkeze likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by canuck_traveler
When one flies on a partner marketed flight (and credit to your Delta Skymiles account), the calculation for MQDs is based on the distance flown and the fare class. Virgin Atlantic's economy delight fare (V) earns 25% x distance flown for MQDs. Since the distance for this trip JFK-LHR-JNB-LHR-JFK is roughly 18,000 miles the earning for MQD is $4500 (18,000 x 0.25)

Note that the MQD earning is different for each partner airline. You can get more details from the Delta website link here.
Thanks you! I was totally forgetting about the 25% x distance flown for MQDs on VS!
jfkeze likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM
Departure Airport: TPA, MCO, RSW, MIA
Miles Needed: N/A
Required Spend or Budget: 5K MQDs
Available Travel Dates: Any, except last week of July
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Preferred for MQD accrual
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by chack22
Departure Airport: TPA, MCO, RSW, MIA
Miles Needed: N/A
Required Spend or Budget: 5K MQDs
Available Travel Dates: Any, except last week of July
Required Metal or Codeshares okay*: Preferred for MQD accrual
AeroMexico from Miami is an option. See post 183 by jfkeze.

Virgin Atlanic from Miami to Johannesburg is another option. However, you will need to wait until September for better prices.
e.g. Sept 9 - 11, $1488 (Economy Delight class), MIA-LHR-JNB-LHR-MIA, 25,000 MQMs, $5000 MQDs, long layover in LHR for both outbound and inbound. Bookable on Virgin Atlantic website. Use flexible search for other dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.