Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: M&M Sen
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Put a ST C1-C4-c1 Within a ST C2-C1-C2, and wrap the entire enchilada with a *A C1-C2-C1 and you end up paying $ 887.06.
Which carrier is this on, I only get results in $$$$ in * A, using EZE or LIM as my C4 stop, and various C2 destinations.

That was how I was having fun this Sunday morning - pathetic.
I need a wife and/or check in to FD Rehab.
If you had a wife, she'd be thrilled about how you're helping effect world peace by getting more peeps to travel to each others lands
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Cheap wifey

Only a pesos loving whore who also likes to do it with the stars would qualify. Candidates make yourself known.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by dracjimm
Which carrier is this on, I only get results in $$$$ in * A, using EZE or LIM as my C4 stop, and various C2 destinations.

If you had a wife, she'd be thrilled about how you're helping effect world peace by getting more peeps to travel to each others lands
ST: C1 airports only East of Mississippi River.
ST C4 Northern South America
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL GM, CO, SWA

That was how I was having fun this Sunday morning - pathetic.

I need a wife and/or check in to FD Rehab.
If you had a wife, she'd probably leave you for spending too much time on FT

Cheaper to go with option 2.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Sure... $314
I am having zero luck finding this c1-germany * setup. Any clues?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 1:56 pm

Does anyone have a good idea of what a good list of FD airports looks like? There are 9400 or so airport codes, and I have that list. But is a list of "Major Airports" more reasonable to limit my search space?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL FO; KE; HA; ex AQ
Originally Posted by nasmaster007
Hello, I am a software engineer with a history of FDing. ... just build up an application that will find things that nobody else has found. The latter seems more fun.

2. Is ITA going to be upset if I'm running a dedicated machine to find FDs 24/7? Will I have to keep changing my IP and everything? Their robots.txt file basically says "no robots!".

3. Is someone out there already doing this? I think the best way is using Mechanize and Beautiful Soup in Python/Ruby/Perl, but this isn't my area of expertise. Any pitfalls I should expect?
Finding things nobody else has found isn't as trivial as you might think; there are people who spend a lot of time analyzing fares, pricing patterns, interlining agreements, etc., which is much more productive than brute force, especially if each brute force attempt takes a long time.

If you're making queries for your own use, and not commercial gain, and are not making them around the clock, you might be okay, but it's best to ask a lawyer and carefully go over the terms of service for ITA. Of course, you could just buy a license to their services if you really want to search around the clock. Changing your source IPs to get around bans or rate-limits is a big no-no. Look at what's happening with Aaron Swartz for doing that to access JSTOR. If they prevent you from accessing their service and you circumvent that, that's a crime. Take the hint.

You absolutely should not be screen-scraping. I mean, I cannot say what a poor (from a programming perspective) idea that is. It creates more work for their servers and more work for you. Even a trivial glance at the transactions between your browser and ITA would show you what their JSON query interface is like. It too me about an hour to write an automated query program (having no experience with web programming myself) and another few hours to make a set of presentation, sorting, etc., scripts I could live with. Don't make ITA do the presentation work for you for every request just to throw it away. That said, for tricked fares with a lot of constraints, transfers, etc., even that interface can take over a minute for a single fare. Usually on the order of 30-40 seconds for a RT with a 3x, or about 5-10 seconds if you just want to find cheap one-way fares to look for low base fares with or without lots of YQ.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:43 pm

Whats the lowest you are getting now C1-C2? What if its not to Spain?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:58 pm

Programs: M&M
C1-C4-c1 Within a C2-C1-C2, and wrap the entire enchilada with a C1-C2-C1
Now this is something to think about in terms of other continents... Monday 1:58am and here we goooooo...
Old Jul 31, 2011, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Now this is something to think about in terms of other continents... Monday 1:58am and here we goooooo...
If you change the continents, you change the price..

If you start from an Island in Europe, you can avoid the Tix 1. wrap-around and get the price down to 435.00 Euros.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nasmaster007
Does anyone have a good idea of what a good list of FD airports looks like? There are 9400 or so airport codes, and I have that list. But is a list of "Major Airports" more reasonable to limit my search space?
I would start here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+of+airports

In particular the Orbitz list may be helpful. I pasted it into Excel and it looks like it narrows it down to ~3700.

The problem is that a lot of the 3Xs are between minor airports.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:10 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by janetdoe
I would start here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=list+of+airports

In particular the Orbitz list may be helpful. I pasted it into Excel and it looks like it narrows it down to ~3700.

The problem is that a lot of the 3Xs are between minor airports.
If you need, I have an excel spreadsheet with IATA codes and locations of over 4,200 airports including all the key 3x routes. It also includes another 1,100 airports with only ICAO code, and it also has IATA codes for key train stations (e.g. XMU, XRF) and metropolitan areas (e.g. CHI, TYO).
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Did anyone consider the ethics of having a YQ of 1200 Per Cent of the base fare = 12 times the Base Fare ( YQ 420.00 / $ 38.00 and listing it as a "TAX" . Listing it as a TAX implies that it is a mandatory charge imposed by a third party governmental/state/local entity ( with taxing power) and not a backdoor revenue enhancer going directly to the airlines bottom-line...
The practice of referring to surcharges as "taxes" has progressed from subtle to blatant. The following is a post by AA's official representative to MP: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/...3/#post-660409
Old Aug 1, 2011, 2:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
If you start from an Island in Europe, you can avoid the Tix 1. wrap-around and get the price down to 435.00 Euros.
Does this require OJ or extra segment(s) to successfully drop the YQ? You mentioned a 1x in your earlier triple decker post... does that still apply for this double decker?

Last edited by braffy; Aug 1, 2011 at 2:01 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 1, 2011, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by juli
there are people who spend a lot of time analyzing fares, pricing patterns, interlining agreements, etc., which is much more productive than brute force, especially if each brute force attempt takes a long time.
It is certainly faster once you have the knowledge, but each attempt to read the fare rules takes a long time as well and if I brute force it then I can spend my time doing other things. Of course, once I find a few tricks (which may take me awhile, I agree) I can figure out how they work and find others. I can also find mistake fares and inexplicable pricing gaffes with brute force, especially if I target a site that actually tickets.

Look at what's happening with Aaron Swartz for doing that to access JSTOR. If they prevent you from accessing their service and you circumvent that, that's a crime. Take the hint.
Come on, it's not like ITA is on MIT's network and that flight search results are copyrighted works and that I plan on publishing them afterwards. To be very clear, I do NOT plan on using ITA's interface. I will use an end ticketer that I won't name, which could have prices that differ from ITA and will only show prices that I can actually purchase.

You absolutely should not be screen-scraping... if you just want to find cheap one-way fares to look for low base fares with or without lots of YQ.
I definitely agree. Did you use... ah, this is getting technical. I will PM you. Appreciate the feedback though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.