Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: USAir DiviMiles, Delta SkyMiles
Is the Mt Fuji deal dead?
Adding 3x seems to jack up the in-bound base fare!
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by adelin
$465ai seems to be lowest i can get it to.. what path did you take to evade said taxes?
going to the north of NW makes it $352 ai
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:46 pm

Is $426 the best you all are seeing on the tinsel-Fuji run in Sept for *A?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:52 pm

. . .

Last edited by IAkH; Jul 29, 2011 at 9:13 am Reason: by popular demand...
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by iggyray
going to the north of NW makes it $352 ai
I think I misinterpreted "north of NW," but still ended up with my best trick yet ($480) with a masculine 3x. Thanks for the hints...
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: *W Plat, Hyatt PLT,PC RA Plat, Virgin Gld, CO Gld, DL Gld, HH Diam, KL Gld
awesome was thinking of writing something up... I say this as I sit here doing it manually

Originally Posted by IAkH
I've followed this thread off and on when I need to go somewhere but it has been hard to keep up with, as many have previously commented. So today, I decided to write some scripts to brute force every possible one-way in existence....
Old Jul 29, 2011, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
I jumped on the skypesos YYZ-HND-LAX posted a few pages back. In my case doing a DTW-LAX-HND-LAX-CVG-DTW-YYZ and getting off early made this an easy choice at $694 all in considering $650 in vouchers I had to burn.

I'm having a philosophical problem with accumulating miles in the new fatty environment we fly in. Why should I keep accumulating miles when every year it becomes more difficult and expensive to redeem them due to the expanding adipose?

Of course I understand the value of status, but surely many of us value our RDMs highly as well. I've been leaning towards burn now when in the past I leaned more towards earn if the decision was anywhere on the fence in terms of the earn vs burn calculation.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 5:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
...today, I decided to write some scripts to brute force every possible one-way in existence...

...I can also query for alliances, airlines, etc in certain regions. So if say you know a certain airline in a certain location dumps your route, I can now easily find other fares with that airline in that region.
AWESOME! Where do we sign up?

Next Steps, to come...

... I can brute force the best possible dump in 3.2 hours. Depending on how much this grows, I should be able to find the optimum 3x within a day.

...Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Great work IAkH! I wish I had the programming know-how to do such a thing. Kudos to you for taking the bull by the horns though!

Do you plan to share some of the information on request or will it be a tool for personal use only?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA,AA,AS,BA
So today, I decided to write some scripts to brute force every possible one-way in existence. This includes the same flight in reverse as those sometimes are more or less expensive, or nonexistent.
Methodology
I'm using 2 databases from the airline route mapper, the list of routes and the airport locations. So for any route in there, I am calculating the distance and then finding the cheapest fare in the next month or so through ITA's month-long search.
I expect this to be a fairly useful tool for the theory guys, but honestly its more for those of us who dont have the time and/or energy to keep up with changing times. Though I'd be surprised if this doesn't already exist out there somewhere...

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?

EXACTLY MY GOOD MAN. SYSTEMATIC APPROACH - BRUTE FORCE - I LOVE IT Yes it does exist "out there". I have been doing that for about a year now. Finally someone else applying discipline . Only problem with your approach is that distance is not 100 % correlated to price or FD ability. My suggestion is not to let your computer waste time sorting by distance. It has the capacity to do 100s of millions of combinations per second anyway. So let her run loose. Once you start demonstrating your results, I will have some ideas for you.IYKWIM

Last edited by WingedWorldExplorer; Jul 29, 2011 at 6:51 am
Old Jul 29, 2011, 6:36 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG P, Hyatt G
Is AA fare Fueldumpable?

a very general question before i start to read all the threads, Is AA fare Fueldumpable? thanks everyone
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by ted.zhang
a very general question before i start to read all the threads, Is AA fare Fueldumpable? thanks everyone

Any fare with a high YQ is a candidate fare for a FD. AA has recently begun to add YQs to their fares. The matrix will show you how much of a YQ your particular fare has. Yes, AA is dumpable.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:06 am

Though I'd be surprised if this doesn't already exist out there somewhere...
Yes, I have something like this too... Be sure to record the day of the week of flights that don't run every day.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I've followed this thread off and on when I need to go somewhere but it has been hard to keep up with, as many have previously commented. So today, I decided to write some scripts to brute force every possible one-way in existence. This includes the same flight in reverse as those sometimes are more or less expensive, or nonexistent. Obviously not all of these are suitable 3xs in all/any situation, but the idea is to compile a list of all one-way routes and their prices.
Very nice. This would be a very useful tool for all of us. I would love to have it.
The question is what is the effect on the marketplace. It seems that today a few of us, excluding myself, have the skills, experience, knowledge on how to FD. Based on what I read is that the risk is that if too many people FD, we either end up with a AFWD disaster or the airlines will see a substantial spike in reservations for a certain routing and then shut that down. If that is correct, this tool, if released uncontrolled, could make FD a widely popular and widely used technique which may force the airlines to adequately respond.

I like the thought process behind it and I like the potential time savings. I just don't want it to kill the golden goose.

Last edited by Deltahater; Jul 29, 2011 at 11:31 am
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1P / PC Plat / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Montacute
Is $426 the best you all are seeing on the tinsel-Fuji run in Sept for *A?
i think someone was able to get lower than that.. which for the life of me still eludes me.. maybe i have the wrong dates?

the 3x i have been using is pricing the itinerary higher now.
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:15 am

Programs: M&M
Thoughts? Comments? Ideas?
Quite often how a one-way prices out by itself has nothing to do with it's applicability as a strike. There are the obvious combinality restrictions and at other times mainline carriers combine only with certain fare buckets. Also as WWE pointed it out distance usually has little to do with dumpability: for quite some time the best 3X for Patriot was a 1345 miler flight.

I also don't think it's ethical to exploit a free service with automated queries. I'm sure none of us wants to see captchas or stuff on ITA.

Finally there are many things ITA will do for you and there are many it won't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.