Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 31, 17, 5:51 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Pat89339
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 11, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue / AAdvantage Platinum

If you visit the website of "Air C2" it seems that prices are coming in cheaper than what is quoted on ITA or other booking engines.....

For example...

C2 - C4A 23rd June
C4A - C2 20th July

Price showing in grid is 288+355 euro which is a total of 643 euro

When you pick these flights and proceed it brings up a total of 539 euro for the entire flight including the taxes. That is a lot cheaper than what ITA brings up.

Any ideas? Same type of thing seems to happen with other destinations as well. In some other cases the fare in the grid is a lot higher when you price through so it works both ways...

Might help somebody

Last edited by andrewu; Jan 8, 11 at 8:17 am Reason: OBSCURE
Old Jan 2, 11, 8:44 am

Programs: lots of little things
Over the past few months I've read and learned some tricks, purchased and traveled using them as well, but never really have figured out how to FIND the magic combination of variables myself to contribute new tricks. I can't imagine that it is just hunting and pecking. What are the best methods without the programming background to design apps for this? I'd love to contribute.
Old Jan 2, 11, 10:03 am

Programs: UA1k, AA EXP, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eloraculo View Post
Well is there a reason why you reduced the level of contributions? Is it true that there is a thread only for the "big guns"?

I think you were giving life to this thread with a few others, but I guess there is not much to gain and a lot to loose.
I completely understand why people would be hesitant to post there best tricks and deals on this thread, but do appreciate all WWE has done for this thread I have learned a lot from his posts, but don't blame him for wanting to hold back some of the juiciest stuff for awhile. I found a one way Bride B fare from C3 to C4b that nets just over 22,500 MQM's for $1,195ai with $140 of Gas on it, not the greatest CPM but a interesting fare, and have held off posting it as I am still trying to figure out when I can use it myself before posting it and risking it getting killed, but while post it at some point, guess I have formed my own circle of one
Old Jan 2, 11, 7:03 pm

Programs: AC*E, AA, DL
OK, got my ducks in a row and sent some PM's, as advertised, if you can show that you've put some thought into this and aren't just asking for someone to hand it to you, people will help.

So now my new favorite hobby has become looking for great deals!!

Thanks again to all that offered their assistance.

Cheers and Happy New Year!
Old Jan 2, 11, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA1k, AA EXP, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HansGolden View Post
Yes!

I've contributed a few FDs here, but believe it or not, today I booked my first one. I had a horrible time booking it. I tried at least eight different booking engines (some which I had never heard of before) before I managed to get the three reservations (friends from different airports) ticketed. I ended up booking each reservation on a different engine. There was no rhyme or reason to the pricing/mispricing. It just required tons of patience and endurance.
Congratulations on popping the cherry, I am more of a Lurker but have appreciated your posts and perspective as a TA you are definitely one of the assets of this thread. Enjoy your trip.
Old Jan 3, 11, 12:10 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Originally Posted by HansGolden View Post
Yes!

I've contributed a few FDs here, but believe it or not, today I booked my first one. ...
Originally Posted by geeprice View Post
Congratulations on popping the cherry....
Another quote that made me spit my drink out - too funny. Thanks
Old Jan 3, 11, 7:52 am

Programs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKz7wjc7ys
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Yes!

I've contributed a few FDs here, but believe it or not, today I booked my first one. It just required tons of patience and endurance.
Congratulations on popping the cherry, I am more of a Lurker but have appreciated your posts and perspective as a TA you are definitely one of the assets of this thread. Enjoy your trip.
"popping the cherry" ? ya I remember what that feels like " Booking the FIRST One " as HANSGOLDEN puts it. As to "patience and endurance" ! - I do not remember that being a problem.

It feels even better than a 100 % YQ drop combined with a $ 20.00 Base fare - as I recall ! ! !
Old Jan 3, 11, 9:51 am

Programs: UA DL HH
I'm still WAAAY behind in this thread. Since yesterday I've been reading from page 1 + reference pages. So far I am on page 51.
I hope that I'm not wasting my time and soon I will book some sweat deal without YQ
Old Jan 3, 11, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by bwiadca View Post
I'm still WAAAY behind in this thread. Since yesterday I've been reading from page 1 + reference pages. So far I am on page 51.
I hope that I'm not wasting my time and soon I will book some sweat deal without YQ
I try and devote an hour each day to trying to understand, any more and I get a throbbing headache.

Keeping notes is also important, you never know when the clue on page 31 starts to make sense on page 73....

Also recommend just hammering the travel sites daily and trying different combinations, eventually you'll start to see where fares can be improved and where they can't

It's never a bad thing to be current when a new technique is introduced, beats catching up 6 months later, like I'm trying to do
Old Jan 3, 11, 12:58 pm

Just noticed on a recent FD that the 13 miler base fare has gone down to $20 from $25, guess they were able to streamline there operation with all this volume they have been getting ,Also by the way it is still working 100% on the bride for me from C1-C4
Now that I understand which is C4, it's near and dear to my heart. Getting good fares from either YYZ and/or BUF, would cause me to openly weep!!

This is my next obsession!

^
Old Jan 3, 11, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Quicker way to search for low base fares?

Hey guys - I've loved reading all 198 pages (ok, I skipped a few in the middle), and while it's tough, I've managed to find a few FD routes. If only my Diamond Medallion status was on another carrier, I'd be able to 'keep climbing' using my hometown airline.

I'm wondering if I'm missing a setting on ITA, or another engine, that will let me see just base fares, not including fees. It's tedious to just scan the results for routes and dates that I want, because you never know what is mostly fare, little YQ, or vice-versa.

Perhaps I'm just lazy and need to keep clicking on 'fare details' to see.

Thanks in advance for the help. Also, let me know if I'm missing something or if the Redcoats and their Team are next to impossible to FD.
Old Jan 3, 11, 1:31 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by jarrags View Post
Hey guys - I've loved reading all 198 pages (ok, I skipped a few in the middle), and while it's tough, I've managed to find a few FD routes. If only my Diamond Medallion status was on another carrier, I'd be able to 'keep climbing' using my hometown airline.

I'm wondering if I'm missing a setting on ITA, or another engine, that will let me see just base fares, not including fees. It's tedious to just scan the results for routes and dates that I want, because you never know what is mostly fare, little YQ, or vice-versa.

Perhaps I'm just lazy and need to keep clicking on 'fare details' to see.

Thanks in advance for the help. Also, let me know if I'm missing something or if the Redcoats and their Team are next to impossible to FD.
Redcoats are possible to dump at least part of the way.

Chris
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I'm pretty familiar with how to FD *A...thanks to many here but...I'm having problems finding city pairs to FD AA.

Can anyone please PM me?

Thanks so much!
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:52 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post
I'm pretty familiar with how to FD *A...thanks to many here but...I'm having problems finding city pairs to FD AA.

Can anyone please PM me?

Thanks so much!
Unless I'm mistaken, AA doesn't have a YQ so therefore you can't dump said YQ.

Chris
Old Jan 3, 11, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXEC PLAT 1.75MM, UA LT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, SPG LT Gold , Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld View Post

Can anyone please PM me?

Thanks so much!
You cannot FD AA.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: