Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Trick it / negotiate it / special savings lounge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
I hope you all understand. I supported NEIL791.
He disclosed nothing what was beyond reasonable- just asking a question. IMO, He is perfectly cool. Keep it up NEIL 791.
^ Cheers for the endorsement WWE. As I said, I for one don't have the time or energy or expertise to comb the web and filter all the tricks through my Enigma Machine which is I for one admittedly rely on those more seasoned pro's to bring the tricks to light in the form of codes, etc.

What good is having the knowledge if you've got nowhere to spread it?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Deltahater
can VS be dumped?
I've seen partial dumps but not 100%.
Originally Posted by aktchi
Too many deals have disappeared after such outburst or revelation here for it to have been pure coincidence.
Of course it's not coincidence. When there is enough chatter here that the thousands of lurkers book trips, that is significant enough revenue loss to cause the airline to fix the loophole.

Why on the face of God's green earth would they pay someone to read through this drivel? It would take a competent DBA a few hours to write a query that would identify tickets that have outlier low fares, construct a report that would flag those tickets and print the entire routing, and set up the report to run nightly and email the right person in revenue management.

Do you honestly think they haven't done this already?

Why hasn't the extremely transparent double/triple stacker been closed yet? I submit that there are two possible reasons:
1) The number of people who can actually plan far enough ahead to book double and triple stackers is vanishingly low, to the point where it would cost more to fix than the airline would recover.
2) --deleted--

Please don't quote #2, because I'm sure someone will ask me to delete it.

No kidding. Certain events have led me to suspect that a few active expert community members could be airline spies. Of course I am not immune from paranoia.
Dammit, who stole my roll of aluminum foil?

ETA: So I went ahead and deleted #2 proactively, because as soon as I submitted the post, I had this sinking feeling... If they close the double stacker it will be my fault. So maybe I need a tinfoil hat after all. Anyone interested can PM me. Unless you work for an airline.

Last edited by janetdoe; Aug 9, 2011 at 11:48 pm Reason: PARANOIA
Old Aug 10, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Great post Janet. One thing that perplexes me, if you (or anyone else) care to theorize about: What's with partial dumps?

I can understand if all of my 100% dumps simply disappeared, but no, many have simply become 50% dumps. Now, why would anybody go to to the trouble of closing 1/2 a fuel leak and not all of it?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 1:59 am

Programs: AA/Delta/Hilton
Now, why would anybody go to to the trouble of closing 1/2 a fuel leak and not all of it?
(i) to mess with you
(ii) job security
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I've been offline this thread for a few weeks, but stumbled upon a fuel dump from C1-C3 last night night containing two parts fire with some help from the stars.

I've got C1-C2 and C2-C1 and more C1-C3 travel to book, and am already busy at work cracking the riddles on the last 20 pages. Thankfully, I started reading before the last "document retention" change.

I was sorry to see my favorite C2-C1 dump on Her Majesty's step child go bye-bye, but I knew it would happen after the rash of posts about the cheap YYZ tickets on Flyeratlk and across the internet...
Old Aug 10, 2011, 3:34 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by WingedWorldExplorer
Must be a Mountie Expression or line of thinking.
Ain't that sweet of you to assume anything or anyone unpleasant is product of them Kanukz? I'm pretty sure this is an enthralling idea for all Canadian readers of this thread (which I am not). Say, are you from Texas?

Originally Posted by janetdoe
...snip...
I've said this a long time ago. BTW Rick can be tricked but I doubt many could use it.

I can understand if all of my 100% dumps simply disappeared, but no, many have simply become 50% dumps. Now, why would anybody go to to the trouble of closing 1/2 a fuel leak and not all of it?
It's a flawed fix that is probably easier to make and deploy than a full scorching. Speaking about Patriot c1-c2 for example we will probably see a full fix within a few weeks - or maybe the 50% + cost of strike will be deterrent enough and it will be cheaper for them not to fix.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
DL JFK-SIN 1200ish AI 21k MQM Need help Tricking!

Looking at 650 in fares and around 600 in taxes and surcharges. have been reading the trick it posts. Well trying to. Very difficult. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to PM me with a lesson in tricking as this could be a very viable fare if I can bat down the surcharges. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL, AS, Good food in distant places
Now, why would anybody go to to the trouble of closing 1/2 a fuel leak and not all of it?
I think WWE was correct about this one. He mentioned a while back that it's better for airline revenue to have a small segment of people purchase dumped tickets than have the seats go empty. I agree. $300/seat revenue is better than $0/seat, the Jet-A cost increase would be negligible for 1 extra person over 3k miles.

However, if too many people book the dumped seats, it would only make fiscal sense to lessen that # by raising their prices (ie 50% dump in lieu of 100%), but still leave a 50% "dangling carrot" incentive for some.

Serious thought though, what percentage of the customers do we think are fat annihilators? Maybe somebody w/an iphone can see if there's an app for that
Old Aug 10, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Yes it is difficult but take your time, many of us have spent a few years already learning the different "tricks". Yes the extra fat on the SIN fare can be reduced to nil with one of the most simple tricks in the book.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:21 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by FOEDogg
the Jet-A cost increase would be negligible for 1 extra person over 3k miles.
You are wrong. It very much costs airlines to transport every kg extra weight and it's very much possible to monetize these costs. Believe you me they are losing on a 50% dumped ticket more than on an empty seat.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I would like to hear some suggestions as to FD an upcoming trip to Spain on AA/IB. I tried using X3, but so far savings using e.g. Person-of-Size are minuscule.
Slashed YQ from $450 to $156 using a X1 c2-c2 before my c1-c2/c2'-c1 itinerary, but still not satisfied with the result.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 7:31 am

Yes, they monetize the costs, but I assure you that I am correct about this one. It's been my job for the past 9.5 years.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
re; full scorching

Originally Posted by FrankTalk
Ain't that sweet of you to assume anything or anyone unpleasant is product of them Kanukz? I'm pretty sure this is an enthralling idea for all Canadian readers of this thread (which I am not). Say, are you from Texas?

I've said this a long time ago. BTW Rick can be tricked but I doubt many could use it.

It's a flawed fix that is probably easier to make and deploy than a full scorching. Speaking about Patriot c1-c2 for example we will probably see a full fix within a few weeks - or maybe the 50% + cost of strike will be deterrent enough and it will be cheaper for them not to fix.
One thing in our favor, is their lack of fifth freedom
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
However, if too many people book the dumped seats, it would only make fiscal sense to lessen that # by raising their prices (ie 50% dump in lieu of 100%), but still leave a 50% "dangling carrot" incentive for some.
I think it is a good deal for airlines. Short of non-revs, passengers on FD'd tickets have got to be some of the best behaved ones. They don't call and argue about this or that, they'd suppress any DYKWIA urges, they don't upgrade, they would rather let their evips expire, etc. I mean, where would an airline get all this for a few hundred bucks?

Yes, they monetize the costs, but I assure you that I am correct about this one. It's been my job for the past 9.5 years.
So, you are one of the airline people we have been worrying about? Can you play even-handed and pm me a few great FDs before reporting them for closure a few months later?
Old Aug 10, 2011, 10:21 am

So, you are one of the airline people we have been worrying about? Can you play even-handed and pm me a few great FDs before reporting them for closure a few months later?
No, I haven't worked FOR an airline in several years. Hence, I am not Colonel Mustard in the library with a candlestick But seriously, as a former airline rep & current logistics refueling supervisor @ a multinational "gas station & convenience store" for aeroplanes, I am fully aware of the fuel amount required for a fully-loaded vs completely empty DC10, 767, 757, etc to go across the pond. A 2 knot headwind or pop-up thunderstorm will gobble up much more fuel than a 200-lb extra passenger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.