Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[PREM FARE GONE] Ba/aa cai-lhr-lax-hnl (840 tp)= us$1556

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Fitch
Slightly OT (about half-and half )

The parameter / f bc=I should, if I've understood correctly, restrict the flights returned to only those with I-class availability.

Instead, (and I'm seeing this on the current CAI-...-HNL/OGG/KOA searches) it actually returns a mix of Y and I and R

Is there a way in Matrix to truly force to a single booking class only ?
Paging Calchas or KARFA or others from the BAEC forum to answer this properly :-)

My own 'interpretation' of this phenomenon is that the booking class or the 'fare' in this case allows a ticket to be created
  1. using 'I' if available, or
  2. (for example) 'F' if available on a 2-class AA operated plane,
  3. or 'A' if available but not 'F' on a 3-class AA plane and so on
  4. with a 'fallback' to Y being commonplace.

as regards the 'R' bucket - I think this is similar to the 'A' and 'F' above

As I understand it , 'iI' is an international/longhaul business class fare bucket, I have never seen 'I' availability on DUB-LHR segment for example.

It seems to be the case that 'R' bucket may be usable on this fare when 'married' to an I segment in some cases and all booked as an overall I-fare married bucket.

on the other hand you will NOT see fares created when using the /f BC=I switch (in my experience at least) with the R class bucket being used on the Long-Haul segment.

To use the specific example of this fare DUB-LHR(R), LHR-CAI(I) will show up when using /f BC=i, but DUB-LHR(R), LHR-CAI(R) will not show up.
Old May 25, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by catharsis
She was great and an interesting contrast to the lady the previous night who 'forced' me to use priceline by telling me that I didn't understand that business class tickets were not available for the sort of price I was quoting her and that I did not know the difference between economy and business
hahahaha
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:36 am

I booked this on May 31 with a week stopover in NYC, three days in LAX as well as a weekend in Kahului (OGG). Total cost was $1933. I had to book it through the BA call center as bookwithmatrix.com couldn't do it.

For the domestic flights in the US I have AA flight numbers: AA0251, AA0432, AA0254. If I credit to AA, will EQD be calculated based on fare information passed through from BA? That's likely to be pretty small.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I am having difficulty in finding availability for travel in July. BA is drying the I class availability ex-CAI!!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by mhaines94108
I booked this on May 31 with a week stopover in NYC, three days in LAX as well as a weekend in Kahului (OGG). Total cost was $1933. I had to book it through the BA call center as bookwithmatrix.com couldn't do it.

For the domestic flights in the US I have AA flight numbers: AA0251, AA0432, AA0254. If I credit to AA, will EQD be calculated based on fare information passed through from BA? That's likely to be pretty small.
That is my understanding. Also AA pro-rates EQDs based on mileage. Based on what I guess your itinerary is, you'll get 35% of the fare before taxes. So assuming your taxes are $250, you will get less than $600 in EQDs for your AA flights.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeltaFlyingProf
That is my understanding. Also AA pro-rates EQDs based on mileage. Based on what I guess your itinerary is, you'll get 35% of the fare before taxes. So assuming your taxes are $250, you will get less than $600 in EQDs for your AA flights.
Wait, what?

If a segment is AA-marketed. your EQD is the entire $ before taxes.

If a segment is BA-marketed, your EQD is 35% (or whatever depending on fare class) of miles.

There is no 35% of fare.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Wait, what?

If a segment is AA-marketed. your EQD is the entire $ before taxes.

If a segment is BA-marketed, your EQD is 35% (or whatever depending on fare class) of miles.

There is no 35% of fare.
You misunderstood what I said. I looked at the flight numbers given by mhaines94108 and tried to guess his routing. Based on the routing, I see that 35% of the total itinerary mileage is on AA. Thus AA would give a total EQD credit for the three AA flight 35% of the fare before taxes. EQDs on BA coded flights will be 25% of the flown miles.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
You misunderstood what I said. I looked at the flight numbers given by mhaines94108 and tried to guess his routing. Based on the routing, I see that 35% of the total itinerary mileage is on AA. Thus AA would give a total EQD credit for the three AA flight 35% of the fare before taxes. EQDs on BA coded flights will be 25% of the flown miles.
Ah, gotcha. Sorry.

But I still disagree with "Also AA pro-rates EQDs based on mileage." We can use 35% of the fare, based on the distance, as an estimate, if all the segments are in the same fare class. But there is no reason to think that that is the way AA does it, and the actual EQD may deviate quite a bit from it.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 2:30 pm

Yes, I should have been more complete. Thanks for confirming what I suspected. My complete itinerary is:

Oct 8: BA154 CAI-LHR
Oct 8: BA115 LHR-JFK
Oct 13: AA251 EWR-PHX
Oct 13: AA432 PHX-OGG (Kahului, Hawaii)
Oct 15: AA254 OGG-LAX
Oct 18: BA268 LAX-LHR
Oct 19: BA155 LHR-CAI
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: AS 100K
i recently made a change to my itinerary...i added an extra night for my weekend trip to HNL and changed my routings vto HNL via DFW to be able to get lie-flat there.

change fee + fare difference + OTA change fee only equaled $100usd...not bad at all!

booked

cai-lhr-sea (s/o) - dfw-hnl-dfw-sea (s/o)-lhr-cai
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Ah, gotcha. Sorry.

But I still disagree with "Also AA pro-rates EQDs based on mileage." We can use 35% of the fare, based on the distance, as an estimate, if all the segments are in the same fare class. But there is no reason to think that that is the way AA does it, and the actual EQD may deviate quite a bit from it.
True if the classes vary. All my BA tickets show I class from end to end. But when AA had still its fare, I issued an AA ticket where the domestic segments were in D for two of them and J for two others. I am putting it all on BA because I don't want to take the risk of finding out that I only get a tiny number of EQDs even if I get a lot of EQMs.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I am having difficulty in finding availability for travel in July. BA is drying the I class availability ex-CAI!!
With a US POS, it looks wide open...

Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by atcanobbio
i recently made a change to my itinerary...i added an extra night for my weekend trip to HNL and changed my routings vto HNL via DFW to be able to get lie-flat there.

change fee + fare difference + OTA change fee only equaled $100usd...not bad at all!

booked

cai-lhr-sea (s/o) - dfw-hnl-dfw-sea (s/o)-lhr-cai
Nice,

I just locked in dates for Dec/Jan got AA777 lie flats all the way except of course for CAI-LHR, thanks for the tip.
Priced out at $1722 USD, very happy as the SC's will get me to QF Plat.

Planning on exploiting the SYD F lounge on some cheap JQ domestic flights in 2018
Old Jun 6, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I am in the process of rethinking CAI runs. My strategy was based on using QR to fly further into Asia and earn AA EQDs, but now QR is out of action in CAI. How are you guys handling it? Or do you just plan to keep coming back to the US?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Croupier
Nice,

I just locked in dates for Dec/Jan got AA777 lie flats all the way except of course for CAI-LHR, thanks for the tip.
Priced out at $1722 USD, very happy as the SC's will get me to QF Plat.

Planning on exploiting the SYD F lounge on some cheap JQ domestic flights in 2018
I might be wrong on this, but JFK-DFW-HNL is 40+140 Tier Points, while JFK-PHX/LAX-HNL is 140+140 Tier Points. So for BAEC, it's important to push the intermediate point further west.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.