Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Pat89339
For each request, please include the following information:

Departure Airport:
Miles Needed:
Required Spend or Maximum Budget (choose one, and state the value):
Available Travel Dates:
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay:

Route(s) You've Already Searched:
Do you have a Chinese Visa (Yes/No)?

For each response. Please quote the original request. DO NOT START A NEW THREAD.
There are many good fares to China (PEK or PVG). If you have a Chinese visa, these options will be provided.

If your requested PQM is in a few thousand, please give a more accurate amount. You will get fewer options with a roundup number (eg, 5000 instead of 4830; IAD-SFO nonstop will work for the latter.)
Print Wikipost

UA/Star Alliance: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by mpiotrow
A couple questions:
  1. Are you really only looking for flights on UA, or anything that will earn PQM? Codeshares are not okay?
  2. Have you satisfied the PQD requirement for 1K?
  3. What does "low cost" mean to you? That's a very subjective concept.
1.) I am a little new to this, so anything that earns PQM will work for me.
2.) I fly a lot for work and *should* make enough PQD for the 1K. I made over $10K last year for Platinum.
3.) I am open to cost. I can go either economy or business class. I just want to make sure it is a good value for the miles.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: OZ
Hi Everyone,

I'm completely new to this. I've only just recently started traveling regularly enough to be thinking about miles programs and status levels. I picked up Global Entry and the APEC Business Travel Card to help ease some of the headache of it all, but I'd also like to try and get bumped up to the next tier on my miles program sooner rather than later if I can do it for reasonable cost. I'm currently "OZ Gold" (*S), the next step up is "OZ Diamond" (*G), and I need about 16,500 miles for the next tier. I'm one year in to my 2 year evaluation period, so if I get bumped up now, I'll hold the status for 3 years.

Departure Airport: ICN, HKG, PEK, PUS, GUM
Miles Needed: 16,500
Required Spend or Budget: Any
Available Travel Dates: Any
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: Any
Route(s) You've Already Searched: I've been looking at ICN/HKG to ORD, as that is just about the right number of miles, and I found some RT fares in the range of $600, which I thought was great, but then I realized the fare classes on those tickets would only give me 50% or 70% miles credit. When searching for fare classes that give 100% miles credit, the prices seem to be around $1800 - $2000 or so. I'm wondering if there's a chance to find something better?

Thanks for reading!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kmxu
$368, DCA-EWR-SEA-IAH-DCA for Oct. 8.
https://www.google.com/flights#flt=D...800*.USD.36800
Sounds good! It looks like I'll be able to dodge midterm season too, AND fly out of DCA!

Thanks for the link (and sorry for the late reply!)
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:15 am

Question MR ex MEX or CA -- thanks !!

Hi all. It would be great if someone can help me with this.

In fact my request can be about very different things as I am flexible: I could be doing a quick MR somewhere in North America to get 10-15,000 miles, but I could also do a much more complex MR to Asia or Australia to get 35,000. I want to do anything which (a) has a great CPM ration, (b) brings me somewhere nice if possible, (c) is in F or C on long-haul. Thanks !!!

Departure Airport: Preferably MEX, but otherwise somewhere in Central America would also be ok
Return Airport: Ideally RIO, but otherwise somewhere else in South America would also be ok
Miles Needed: Anything with a good CPM ratio (I need 33,000 by year-end, but anything less than that is ok for now)
Required Spend or Budget: Anything ok if CPM ratio is good
Available Travel Dates: Leaving around 21 or 22 July, returning asap -- max. travel duration about 5 days
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA metal on at least four segments -- though I can be flexible as I could do UA later
Required cabin: F or C on international -- but Y is ok on US / Can
Preferred destinations: Anywhere in Asia / Pacific / Oceania, Canada, Alaska -- Europe would also do but I prefer not

Many many thanks !
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: United 1K
First time poster, long time lurker here...seeking advice!

Departure Airport: MSP/ORD, possibly SFO
Miles Needed: 20-24,000 PQM to hit Platinum
Required Spend or Budget: need $2,000 more for PQD, but willing to spend $2-4k for other cabin for comparable $/mile
Available Travel Dates: typically between any Thurs-Sun starting in September to end of year 2018.
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: prefer UA but no requirements, already satisfied min. UA segments.

Only decent thing I've found is SFO-PEK for ~$540 RT, ~4 cpm, 13,000 pqm, but would love some suggestions for domestic or Euro travel as well.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by beeasyed; Jul 8, 2018 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: Mileage+
First time poster, long time lurker here...trying to give advice :-)
Sorry cant post the URL yet, so you have to look yourself.

$550 (will now turn out at $610, but should be back to $550 soon) ams-ord-iah-eze-iah-ord-fra 20437 PQM = 2,69c/PQM 12/1 - 12/3

Price also came up for 8/25-8/27, but I am not sure, if that will come back.

Just add the two legs from whereever you want to start from- and you have 30k+ PQM.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by mbruehl
First time poster, long time lurker here...trying to give advice :-)
Sorry cant post the URL yet, so you have to look yourself.

$550 (will now turn out at $610, but should be back to $550 soon) ams-ord-iah-eze-iah-ord-fra 20437 PQM = 2,69c/PQM 12/1 - 12/3

Price also came up for 8/25-8/27, but I am not sure, if that will come back.

Just add the two legs from whereever you want to start from- and you have 30k+ PQM.
forgive the ignorance, but what's the best way to construct such a flight on ITA? ie. would I search for a multi-stop itinerary from AMS to ORD to IAH, etc. in this case? I've only tried searching ORD-AMS roundtrip, for example, with code "+" for more than 1 stop, and / alliance star-alliance , but other than that, how should I be going about this?

Last edited by beeasyed; Jul 9, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Departure Airport: IAH- China(PEK, SHA, PVG)
Miles Needed: As many as possible
Required Spend or Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: July 24-July 27, outbound, and return in July 29

Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by Qing Song Zhang
Departure Airport: IAH- China(PEK, SHA, PVG)
Miles Needed: As many as possible
Required Spend or Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: July 24-July 27, outbound, and return in July 29

With your predefined dates and airports you want to fly to, this is a very simple thing to search on Google Flights. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything less than $1392. Here's the search results for departing on July 24:

https://www.google.com/flights/#flt=...IANCE;sd:1;t:f

You can easily click on the departure date yourself to see the prices for the other dates.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Thank you, mpiotrow!
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:38 pm

Departure Airport: Preferably MEX, but otherwise somewhere in Central America would also be ok
Return Airport: Ideally RIO, but otherwise somewhere else in South America would also be ok
Miles Needed: Anything with a good CPM ratio (I need 33,000 by year-end, but anything less than that is ok for now)
Required Spend or Budget: Anything ok if CPM ratio is good
Available Travel Dates: Leaving around 21 or 22 July, returning asap -- max. travel duration about 5 days
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: UA metal on at least four segments -- though I can be flexible as I could do UA later
Required cabin: F or C on international -- but Y is ok on US / Can
Preferred destinations: Anywhere in Asia / Pacific / Oceania, Canada, Alaska -- Europe would also do but I prefer not
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum
AUS 17,000 mile run over weekend

Departure Airport: AUS
Miles Needed: 17,000
Required Spend or Budget: $1,000 Budget – No spend required
Available Travel Dates: August 17th -19th, Sep 7th – 9th, or Sep 14th – 16th
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: United and United Express Only
Route(s) You've Already Searched: NRT, HKG, Reykjavik

Hey ya’ll I could really use some magic here. Looking for 17,000 mile run over a Friday to Sunday Period. Destination does not matter because I most likely will not leave the airport. Thanks!

Last edited by ATX1989; Jul 9, 2018 at 8:00 pm Reason: removed bold to make it more legible
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: Mileage+
Originally Posted by beeasyed
forgive the ignorance, but what's the best way to construct such a flight on ITA? ie. would I search for a multi-stop itinerary from AMS to ORD to IAH, etc. in this case? I've only tried searching ORD-AMS roundtrip, for example, with code "+" for more than 1 stop, and / alliance star-alliance , but other than that, how should I be going about this?
Look here
https // www .vielfliegertreff.de/mileage-runs/120996-ua-mileage-run-26-5-29-5-bru-zrh-ord-iah-gru-iah-ord-ams-3.html#post2643659
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
There are other dates for about $550, eg, Oct.27-29, AMS-ORD-EZE-CDG. You can replace EZE by GIG, SCL or GRU. The problem is that positioning flights from US are not cheap.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by ATX1989
Departure Airport: AUS
Miles Needed: 17,000
Required Spend or Budget: $1,000 Budget – No spend required
Available Travel Dates: August 17th -19th, Sep 7th – 9th, or Sep 14th – 16th
Required Metal or Codeshares Okay: United and United Express Only
Route(s) You've Already Searched: NRT, HKG, Reykjavik

Hey ya’ll I could really use some magic here. Looking for 17,000 mile run over a Friday to Sunday Period. Destination does not matter because I most likely will not leave the airport. Thanks!
Here's an option!
UA:$970 AUS-SIN 19951PQM
Fri Sept 14
EWR-LAX-SIN
1hr10min turn in SIN
Sun Sept 16
SIN-SFO-AUS
https://goo.gl/flights/bCyP8

There are other options that have longer turnaround times in SIN, for example flying through LAX with a long connection in LAX, or flying through LAX and IAH on the way back with 2 hrs in each location, etc...

[EDIT]
I must have missed the Sept 7-9 dates above the first time I read your message. Here's another option (not quite as many miles, but pretty close, and a much better turn time in SIN):
UA:$970 AUS-SIN 19886PQM
Fri Sept 7
EWR-SFO-SIN
2hr30min turn in SIN
Sun Sept 9
SIN-SFO-AUS
https://goo.gl/flights/NpPs1

[/EDIT]
ATX1989 likes this.

Last edited by mpiotrow; Jul 10, 2018 at 8:02 am Reason: Added flight option for Sept 7-9

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.