Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:20 am

Looking to do a status challenge for platinum. I have a flight to Cancun on the books for Nov:

American
Economy (O)
$300.00 (inc taxes)

Besides that, no miles this year. Any good options to get Platinum with a single trip? Thanks for any help!
Old Oct 24, 2017, 1:05 pm

DFW run

Departure Airport: DFW

Miles Needed: 12K EQM/1.6 K EQD

Available Travel Dates: Any Thurs-Sunday weekend in Nov/ and Early Dec

Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I am not sure where else to post this, but I usually look at Google Flights for a weekend search to find lowest fares to regions of the world for mileage runs. Since the past week, that weekend search is no longer on the main page of Google Flights. Does it exist elsewhere? I can't find it anymore.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA
I'm looking for a quick mileage run in November to reach Platinum Pro. I've already hit the quota for EQDs, so I'm just looking for ~$5000K EQMs.

Departure Airport: ORD
Miles needed: ~5000
Travel dates: November weekend (I can do an overnight, or just turn around)
Budget: as low as possible....

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited by jmcpack; Oct 25, 2017 at 12:29 pm Reason: needed to revise/update
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:16 pm

Departure Airport: MCI
Miles Needed: 5800
EQD's Needed: 1825
Available Travel Dates: Flexible
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
HELP in need of 14EQM and $750EQD

I am new to this hobby and I am running the risk on losing status with AA. I am based in Philadelphia and would like to at least keep platinum. Is there anything out there? I am willing to travel to Newark or BWI
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Juangoz0983
I am new to this hobby and I am running the risk on losing status with AA. I am based in Philadelphia and would like to at least keep platinum. Is there anything out there? I am willing to travel to Newark or BWI
There are plenty of replies on this thread to meet your request. Please check them and see which one will work for you.

Last edited by blueslip; Oct 25, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by swingaling
Leaving from LAX, it will generate 5,150 EQD (assuming it books into Y/E/R fare classes). I did this exact trip last month.

If you want to do this cost effectively, you'll have to fly in PE (J will be too expensive). That means you'll earn EQDs at a rate of 20% of distance traveled. In order to earn 5,400 EQD on a single ticket, you'll have to travel a distance of 27,000 miles.

Trips of that length are rare and getting that done (on a single ticket) from any of your chosen airports is probably not possible. It can be done if you reposition.

The following will earn what you want in a single trip:

BOS-HKG-AKL (rt) on CX in PE for $2,733 40,000 EQM 5,450 EQD
For PE on CX, the EQM = actual miles x 1.5, and EQD=EQM x 0.2, thus for the LAX-HKG-AKL RT would yield EQM = 25896x1.5=38844, EQD=38844x0.2=7768. So far, I find that the JFK-HKG-AKL RT gives highest EQDs.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:35 pm

Trying to renew my AA ExPlat. I have enough EQD's already, need about 25k EQM. Departure airport is DFW, but can re-position for the right deal. Any good leads?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by blueslip
For PE on CX, the EQM = actual miles x 1.5, and EQD=EQM x 0.2, thus for the LAX-HKG-AKL RT would yield EQM = 25896x1.5=38844, EQD=38844x0.2=7768. So far, I find that the JFK-HKG-AKL RT gives highest EQDs.

Your EQD comps seem to be off. You are calculating EQDs based on the 1.5 EQM "bonus," as opposed to the actual mileage flown. GCM shows the distance from LAX-HKG-AKL to be 12,949 miles, x 2 = 25,898 x .2 = 5,179 EQDs

From JFK, if you still go via LAX and HKG the total mileage increases to 15,424 x 2 = 30,848 x .2 = 6,169 EQDs

If you go direct JFK-HKG-AKL, then the total mileage is 13,761 x 2 = 27,522 x .2 = 5,504 EQDs

Last edited by Flyerhandle; Oct 25, 2017 at 4:35 pm Reason: Added more info
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
Your EQD comps seem to be off. You are calculating EQDs based on the 1.5 EQM "bonus," as opposed to the actual mileage flown. GCM shows the distance from LAX-HKG-AKL to be 12,949 miles, x 2 = 25,898 x .2 = 5,179 EQDs

From JFK, if you still go via LAX and HKG the total mileage increases to 15,424 x 2 = 30,848 x .2 = 6,169 EQDs

If you go direct JFK-HKG-AKL, then the total mileage is 13,761 x 2 = 5,504 EQDs
Correct. EQD are calculated on base miles not EQM's
swingaling likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by brady27
Trying to renew my AA ExPlat. I have enough EQD's already, need about 25k EQM. Departure airport is DFW, but can re-position for the right deal. Any good leads?
Please take a look upthread for the past couple weeks. I've provided a number of suggestions for people in and around DFW.

Originally Posted by blueslip
Sorry, that's not correct.

EQM = Base Miles * 1.5 | EQD = Base Miles * 0.2

The EQM/EQD figures I quoted for these routes are correct (though rounded down). I can provide a screenshot of my AA account if you require proof. I flew LAX-HKG-AKL on CX in PE just last month.

JFK-HKG-AKL | 27,520 mi | 41,280 EQM | 5,504 EQD
BOS-HKG-AKL | 27,316 mi | 40,974 EQM | 5,463 EQD
LAX-BOS-AKL | 25,896 mi | 38,844 EQM | 5,179 EQD

Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
This is not correct. You cannot fly JFK-LAX on CX. You can fly JFK-YVR-HKG-AKL, but if you don't stopover in YVR, you do not earn anything extra from the stop in YVR (due to the fact that the flight number is the same).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Departure Airport: TUS, PHX, LAX or nearby
Arrival Airport: Within 2-3 hours flight of CGK/SIN
Miles Needed: 20K or as many as can be done (currently Gold)
Required Spend or Budget: $1600
Available Travel Dates: Nov 16-27 or Dec 14-23
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes

Long time reader and still learning the ropes but getting there...

Doing some volunteer work in Indonesia during these dates (and 1-2 more times in the next six months) and am hoping eventually that I can take longer flights in nicer seats by improving my status : )

Saw some low QR base fares but the YQ surcharge is very high...any help would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:44 pm

$4000 nd 25,000 miles from Advantage executive Platinum

What is most efficient and economical way to reach this mile stone by end of year? I'm 25,000 miles and $4000 short right now.

I am in Mia, fly through Chicago and love Hawaii and Thailand.

Thanks,
Brian
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:08 am

Trying not to loose Platinum Pro, and get EXPLAT

Hello Everybody!!
I have 3,700 EQDS of 9000
41,206 EQM's of 75,000
Trying to keep my Plat Pro or even reach EXPLAT

Departure Airport:Miami, FLL
Miles Needed:33,794 or 58794
Required Spend or Budget: Minimum as possible
Available Travel Dates: Outgoing Thu or Fri,
Required Metal or Codeshares okay

Basically to go to EXPLAT i could spend the rest of the EQDS required, $5300 for PLTPRO, or 8300 for EXPLAT. Turn around next day or same day not an issue.
Thanks amigos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.