Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Ok so if I find AS operated and marketed flights that I purchase through AS then I will earn EQDs and EQMs? Like this one? https://goo.gl/flights/Xnty

It should earn $1,032 EQDs right?
This year it will work. Next year, not so much.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:30 pm

Trying to hang on to Platinum for next year.

Here is what I need. Thanks!

Departure Airport: JFK, EWR, LGA
Miles Needed: 11,671 EQM
EQD Needed: $2,312
Available Dates: 12/16 - 12/23, 12/25 - 12/29

I could go to Europe to ski the 25th - 30th. A friend will also be in Beijing 12/16 - 23.

Last edited by BKLNYC; Oct 31, 2017 at 7:33 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BKLNYC
Trying to hang on to Platinum for next year.

Here is what I need. Thanks!

Departure Airport: JFK, EWR, LGA
Miles Needed: 11,671 EQM
EQD Needed: $2,312
Available Dates: 12/16 - 12/23, 12/25 - 12/29

I could go to Europe to ski the 25th - 30th. A friend will also be in Beijing 12/16 - 23.
Best I could find for PEK.

JFK-LHR-PEK (rt) on BA in PE for $2,163 | 25,500 EQM | 3,400 EQD

Those dates are REALLY tough and Europe really isn't far enough to earn the EQDs you need (unless you want to spend more than $2,300). Prices were a lot better a month ago.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
This trip was suggested to me, also ex-MIA, a few pages back.

MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG on BA in PE for $1,800-$2,200 | 4,000 EQD and roughly 30,000 EQM, which will substantially plug your gaps. I may do this, as well as JFK-HKG-AKL on CX in PE, around $2,700, 5,400 EQD and 41,000 EQM.

Both give you a 2:1 $/EQD multiplier, so you could spend around $4,500 and cover the $8,000 you are short for EXP, and you would have the EQMs you need for EXP as well.
Flyerhandle, I went ahead and booked in PE, tried like crazy to get upgrade with aa miles or avios and couldnt get it. Do you have any advice on websites selling discounted business class?
I am also jumpinh from HKG to Tokyo for couple of days in CX, one week HKG i think is too much!!
Hope you can advice me amigo.
Thanks!!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
Best I could find for PEK.

JFK-LHR-PEK (rt) on BA in PE for $2,163 | 25,500 EQM | 3,400 EQD

Those dates are REALLY tough and Europe really isn't far enough to earn the EQDs you need (unless you want to spend more than $2,300). Prices were a lot better a month ago.
swingaling

Are there any other interesting routings outside of PEK and Western Europe, that you can find?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:07 am

swingaling

Are there any other interesting routings outside of PEK and Western Europe, that you can find?
The best option is this:

JFK-HKG-MLE (rt) on CX in PE/J for $1,969 | 33,000 EQM | 4,400+ EQD

The HKG-MLE-HKG legs book into J. The rest is PE. Book through CX website to ensure it books mixed PE/J. These specific flights on the above dates show as mixed PE/J on CX's website (despite what GF shows).

I wasn't exaggerating when I said those dates are really tough. Those are pretty much the worst possible dates in December. 12/1 - 12/9 has a lot more options.

BA's lowest rates are mostly gone at this point and CX isn't much better. Those are typically the best options for reasonably priced distance based premium cabin (PE) fares.

PVG (also on BA) is the same price as PEK.

JFK-NRT-HKG (rt) on JL in PE | $2,497 | 25,700 EQM | 3,400 EQD
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by JJBAAWINGS
Do you have any advice on websites selling discounted business class?
If you want a business class ticket, buy it from the airline directly or a reputable travel agent (or OTA). Any website that sells "discounted" business class tickets is selling an award ticket. If you buy that, there's a good chance the ticket will get cancelled and you'll get kicked out of that airline's FF program.

Either way, sharing the names of grey market award ticket merchants is not something that's done here.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver
Been forced to travel shorter routes for work this year than normal due to personal issues, would like to hang onto EXP if possible.

Departure Airport: AUS, ORD, EWR/JFK/LGA
Miles Needed: 25-30k EQM (give or take)
EQD Needed: N/A (I'm good here)
Available Dates: Anytime in December, or Thanksgiving Week

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:51 am

The best option is this:

JFK-HKG-MLE (rt) on CX in PE/J for $1,969 | 33,000 EQM | 4,400+ EQD

The HKG-MLE-HKG legs book into J. The rest is PE. Book through CX website to ensure it books mixed PE/J. These specific flights on the above dates show as mixed PE/J on CX's website (despite what GF shows).

I wasn't exaggerating when I said those dates are really tough. Those are pretty much the worst possible dates in December. 12/1 - 12/9 has a lot more options.

BA's lowest rates are mostly gone at this point and CX isn't much better. Those are typically the best options for reasonably priced distance based premium cabin (PE) fares.

PVG (also on BA) is the same price as PEK.

JFK-NRT-HKG (rt) on JL in PE | $2,497 | 25,700 EQM | 3,400 EQD
swingaling,

I really appreciate your help. Is there a scenario where I could fly multiple shorter flights to meet my goals, or would they be more expensive?

Another possibility: I need to be in LA December 3. I could also travel from November 30 - December 6th as long as I am in LA on the 3rd. My company will cover $400 of my ticket cost to get out there.

Thanks!

Last edited by BKLNYC; Nov 1, 2017 at 10:03 am Reason: additional question
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:00 am

Hoping someone has better search skills than me...trying to hang onto Platinum this year.

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 6700
Required Spend or Budget: little as possible. Met EQD
Available Travel Dates: Really tight window. Dec 9, or late Dec 8 with Dec 9 return.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: as long as gets me EQM.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:05 am

I really appreciate your help. Is there a scenario where I could fly multiple shorter flights to meet my goals, or would they be more expensive?

Another possibility: I need to be in LA December 3. I could also travel from November 30 - December 6th as long as I am in LA on the 3rd. My company will cover $400 of my ticket cost to get out there.
If you only needed EQMs, then there would be a lot more options. But since you need 2,300 EQD, your choices are a lot more constrained. You have two options open to you: 1. Spend $2,400-$2,500 on AA fares; or 2. Buy partner premium cabin fares that earn EQDs based on distance (cheap partner econ fares don't earn enough to make it feasible).

At this point, partner fares will cost around $2k, but you'll be able to visit somewhere a bit farther away and more interesting than somewhere in the US. Personally, I'd much rather do a couple very long flights than zig-zag across the US. Doing a number of shorter flights would work, but you'd end up paying a whole lot more taxes and fees. That may defeat the purpose somewhat. It's also a lot more expensive on a per mile basis, if that matters.

That said, AS may be a good option for you. You'll still need to buy a second ticket for SEA-LAX (and back), but this AS ticket should earn you almost all that you need. AS does not fly to LAX, so you'd have to get yourself to LAX on separate tickets.

JFK-SEA-ANC//ANC-SEA//SEA-JFK on AS in J for $1,689 | 11,574 EQM | 2,315 EQD

Note: Other routings are available at higher cost, but DO NOT take anything that routes you through DAL. You will not earn anything when flying to/from DAL on AS. Also, flying on VX will not earn anything either. Be sure it all books into First class. Getting the SEA-ANC leg into first on that date is tricky.

Note about AA special fares: AA special fares (e.g. AAVacations tix) are a potential option, but I didn't mention it because the sweet spot is cheap Y fares. However, these cheap Y fares typically only earn EQDs at a rate of 10%. So, you'd need to travel 23,000 actual miles on AA in Y to earn the EQDs you need. AA has a few routings that are nearly long enough, but none of these long routes will actually code as special fares when purchased from AAVacations. You can get a special fare to PEK, but that would only earn you 1,700 EQD tops. Besides, AA does have any cheap rates to PEK in December.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by whizzards23
Hoping someone has better search skills than me...trying to hang onto Platinum this year.

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 6700
Required Spend or Budget: little as possible. Met EQD
Available Travel Dates: Really tight window. Dec 9, or late Dec 8 with Dec 9 return.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: as long as gets me EQM.

Thanks in advance!
DFW-LAX-SEA-JFK-MIA-DFW on AA in Y for $704 | 6,800 EQM

DFW-SEA-ANC on AA/AS in Y for $653 | 6,200 EQM

DFW-LAX-SEA//SEA-PHX-DFW on AA in J for $786 | 8,300 EQM

DFW-PHL-BOS//BOS-DFW on AA in J for $651 | 6,700 EQM

DFW-CLT-MSP (rt) on AA in J for $702 | 7,400 EQM
Old Nov 1, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
If you only needed EQMs, then there would be a lot more options. But since you need 2,300 EQD, your choices are a lot more constrained. You have two options open to you: 1. Spend $2,400-$2,500 on AA fares; or 2. Buy partner premium cabin fares that earn EQDs based on distance (cheap partner econ fares don't earn enough to make it feasible).

At this point, partner fares will cost around $2k, but you'll be able to visit somewhere a bit farther away and more interesting than somewhere in the US. Personally, I'd much rather do a couple very long flights than zig-zag across the US. Doing a number of shorter flights would work, but you'd end up paying a whole lot more taxes and fees. That may defeat the purpose somewhat. It's also a lot more expensive on a per mile basis, if that matters.

That said, AS may be a good option for you. You'll still need to buy a second ticket for SEA-LAX (and back), but this AS ticket should earn you almost all that you need. AS does not fly to LAX, so you'd have to get yourself to LAX on separate tickets.

JFK-SEA-ANC//ANC-SEA//SEA-JFK on AS in J for $1,689 | 11,574 EQM | 2,315 EQD

Note: Other routings are available at higher cost, but DO NOT take anything that routes you through DAL. You will not earn anything when flying to/from DAL on AS. Also, flying on VX will not earn anything either. Be sure it all books into First class. Getting the SEA-ANC leg into first on that date is tricky.

Note about AA special fares: AA special fares (e.g. AAVacations tix) are a potential option, but I didn't mention it because the sweet spot is cheap Y fares. However, these cheap Y fares typically only earn EQDs at a rate of 10%. So, you'd need to travel 23,000 actual miles on AA in Y to earn the EQDs you need. AA has a few routings that are nearly long enough, but none of these long routes will actually code as special fares when purchased from AAVacations. You can get a special fare to PEK, but that would only earn you 1,700 EQD tops. Besides, AA does have any cheap rates to PEK in December.
AS absolutely flies in to LAX. Including a nonstop from JFK

https://www.alaskaair.com/shopping/f..._SALE_VX%7c%7c
Old Nov 1, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by PDXAA
AS absolutely flies in to LAX. Including a nonstop from JFK

https://www.alaskaair.com/shopping/f..._SALE_VX%7c%7c
For whatever reason, it's not possible to add LAX (via AS) to the itinerary I linked on GF. It is possible on AS.com though.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Do Alaska flights operated by Skywest Airlines as Alaskaskywest qualify for EQDs and EQMs?

AS3xxx flight numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.