Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DaVinciDeal
Just do quick turnaround trip to Jakarta Indonesia (CGK). An example is this flight leaving on Thursday. There are other flights, but this nets you just over 20,000 flying through HK one way and NRT the other. Hope this helps. If you need more miles, fly through LAX and HKG.
Thanks. This is excellent. Was trying to fit in a stop to HKG but simply can't get it to work, primarily due to two restrictions:

1. Due to a work meeting I can't leave until the 19th, and prices at that point skyrocket.
2. I'm using a $1,000 AA voucher so need to keep on AA marketed flights (one of them is a CX marketed flight)

Any suggestions?
Old May 22, 2018, 7:38 am

Multi-City through HKG with ITA Matrix

Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Thanks. This is excellent. Was trying to fit in a stop to HKG but simply can't get it to work, primarily due to two restrictions:

1. Due to a work meeting I can't leave until the 19th, and prices at that point skyrocket.
2. I'm using a $1,000 AA voucher so need to keep on AA marketed flights (one of them is a CX marketed flight)

Any suggestions?
This gives you 2 days in HKG. If you play around with dates this can be cheaper. Hope this works!
Old May 22, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Departure Airport(s): SFO, SJC, OAK, LAX
BA TPs Needed: 600
BA segments needed: 4
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 150,000
EQDs Needed: 5,000
Max Budget: 3k
Available Travel Dates: 5/24-5/29, 5/25-6/3
Max # Travel Nights: 8
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any oneworld
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y, also India visa. US Passport.

I've been perhaps a little out of the game and I wonder if anyone has any creative ideas. I have AA status and BA status I need to maintain this year, with the BA status looking slightly in jeopardy as its up for renewal in June. I will definitely requal AA EXP with work travel this year and already am almost plat pro (~$8K EQD/57k EQM) so any extra EQD is for upgrades and EQM is for SWUs. I have two free weekends coming up, but it's hard coming up with something profitable given the low O availability due to memorial day weekend.

I'm just looking for flights on the weekend which either maximize $/EQD or $/TP, aiming for >2$/EQD or 2$/TP. I also have a $500 travel voucher I'm looking to burn, so I'm ok with lower EQD on the AA segment. Ideally I would get the 4 BA segments I need as well in the next two weekends....

It seems that the cheapest option out of the west coast (c1w) is to SIN or CGK for about $1k, and not sure where to go for there, perhaps on AA vacations. It seems that I could maybe combine it with CGK-CMB-DXB on UL (~560TP) or perhaps BKK-KUL-KTM (~300TP) both in the ~1.5$/TP range. Then I am left with somehow scoring the BA segments, perhaps on a BKK-C2 in PE connecting to OSL/GOT/ARN-C1 in PE, but that seems like the low ~$800 exC2 PE fares aren't available anymore. I also some low ex-BAH fares for example, $1,500 BAH-JFK in PE, but that still seems to not quite hit the mark (1.76$/EQD or 4$/TP...). I looked at south america and there is a cheap flight (SCL-South Africa for example, which can yield 2 BA segments), but LA economy seems to earn almost nothing.

Last edited by no2chem; May 22, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Old May 24, 2018, 6:50 am

Business class or higher Roundtrip from South America?

I am looking for a premium run to credit to AA(krisflyer or alaska as well) originating in South America preferably to United States or Canada leaving first week of July. I hope to have the return portion for later in the year. Any ideas?

Last edited by maloy; May 24, 2018 at 7:25 am Reason: add alliance
Old May 24, 2018, 10:46 am

Brasil

Departure Airport(s): GRU, GIG, SSA
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 15-20k
EQDs Needed: 2,000+
Max Budget: 2k
Available Travel Dates: 7/1-7/6 returning anytime within 6 months of departure
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any oneworld
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N, I am US citizen with US passport

I am looking for a good run originating from brasil around 4th of July to North America, preferably the United States.
Old May 25, 2018, 7:30 am

Help with recent AA promo

Departure Airport: IAD, DCA, PHL, BWI
Miles Needed: 7k EQM
Required Spend or Budget: $850 EQD
Available Travel Dates: almost anytime in July and August
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: as long as I get the required spend/miles

Just looking to hit these spends really by Sept 7 so I can keep this AA Gold status I received. Will have AA Gold thru Jan 2020 which could be helpful for some upcoming trips
Old May 25, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA
I am flying to HKG from LAX in October...

I am trying to figure out if it's better than I book on AA or directly thru Cathay Pacific for the most EQD/EQM and upgrade potential... I am a bit confuses on this so I apologize if I've missed a post about the best way to do this for maximum value and convenience and not sure how/if it matters.

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by schwachs

I am trying to figure out if it's better than I book on AA or directly thru Cathay Pacific for the most EQD/EQM and upgrade potential... I am a bit confuses on this so I apologize if I've missed a post about the best way to do this for maximum value and convenience and not sure how/if it matters.

Thanks!
As far as EQM/EQD your best bet is booking via Cathay on AA flights. As far as upgrades go, you can not apply SWU's or request paid mileage upgrades if you ticket wasnt booked on AA. Its a tough trade off.
Old May 25, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AA
Ok, just to make sure I'm doing this right:

I got to the Cathay site, book an AA flight thru them, and then enter my AA FF# when I book that flight on the Cathay site?

This will get me the max EQM/EQD - will I be able to see what those #s will be before I book as you can on the AA site? If not, how do you figure them out?

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2018, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by sgan317
As far as EQM/EQD your best bet is booking via Cathay on AA flights. As far as upgrades go, you can not apply SWU's or request paid mileage upgrades if you ticket wasnt booked on AA. Its a tough trade off.
I am confused on this. How do you earn more EQM/EQD for AA by booking through Cathay for an AA flight
Old May 25, 2018, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Epinz300
I am confused on this. How do you earn more EQM/EQD for AA by booking through Cathay for an AA flight
You earn based on this chart instead of off what you spent on the ticket. AA cant view what you spent on their metal through a partner.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Old May 25, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
This is not always the case. If the price you're paying (less taxes/fees) is higher than the distance based EQD calculation, you'd be better off booking directly with AA.

As an example - I just flew Finnair from ORD to HKG and back. via HEL in Business (I). I paid $3200 for the ticket direcly through Finnair. I got $4647 in EQD due to the AA calculation (18590 miles *.25 = $4647.50). If my ticket would have cost more than $4647.50 , I would have missed out on EQD by booking through Finnair.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by skydve1
This is not always the case. If the price you're paying (less taxes/fees) is higher than the distance based EQD calculation, you'd be better off booking directly with AA.

As an example - I just flew Finnair from ORD to HKG and back. via HEL in Business (I). I paid $3200 for the ticket direcly through Finnair. I got $4647 in EQD due to the AA calculation (18590 miles *.25 = $4647.50). If my ticket would have cost more than $4647.50 , I would have missed out on EQD by booking through Finnair.
So based on AA EQD caluclations, booking through FinnAir, they calculate it by taking 25% of the distance flown? Do you mean EQD or EQM?
Old May 25, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
So based on AA EQD caluclations, booking through FinnAir, they calculate it by taking 25% of the distance flown? Do you mean EQD or EQM?
Take a look at this , specifically regarding Finnair: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...es/finnair.jsp

With Finnair I fare, EQD's are calculated as 25% of the distance flown, and EQM's are 1.5x actual distance flown.
With Finnair J, D, C fares, EQD'a are calculated as 40% of the distance flown, and EQM's are 1.5x actual distance flown.

This link shows all of the AA partners and how you earn EQD's and EQM's: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
Old May 27, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by schwachs

Thanks!
What cabin are you looking to book?

It actually doesn't matter on whose website you book; what matters is how the flight is marketed. If the flight is marketed as an AA flight (whether on AA or CX metal), you will earn based on the AA chart. If the flight is marketed as a CX flight (whether on an AA or CX metal flight), you will earn based on the CX chart.

Most economy fares on CX-marketed flights do not earn EQM or EQD. So if you're flying economy, it will generally be better to book an AA-marketed flight. If you are flying PE, it will generally be better to book a CX-marketed flight. If you're flying first or business, it probably will be better to book an AA-marketed flight (because you'll earn more EQM and likely more EQD, unless it's a super cheap business/first fare).

If you are using SWUs/AA miles to potentially upgrade, booking AA-marketed and AA-operated flights via AA is the only way to go.

This is inaccurate—booking via CX or AA doesn't actually matter. And in fact, if one books a CX-marketed, AA-operated flight in economy, there is good chance one will earn no EQM or EQD (unless it's a Y, B or H fare—and B/H fares earn only 0.5 EQM).

It's confusing because it's not actually correct.
Whodunit68 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.