Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BA GFL, OW Gold, CX/MP Diamond, SPG Plat
Departure Airport: LHR or EX-EU
Miles Needed: 880TP
Required Spend or Budget: £1650
Available Travel Dates: Anytime between today and 1st April 2019 (except 24/12 - 02/12)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Oneworld only
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ramirez60
It doesn't require a codeshare ticket.

I had a ~$1500 ticket from DEL - LAX on JAL to NRT and AA to LAX and it gave me $1734 in eqd.

But yes you completely understand my struggle. Not necessarily looking for a deal, just trying to minimize the pain of the EQD process. Thanks for the help, I get the general rule EQM/EQD rules for partners but i need to be careful about fare codes with those right? Like BA has some that are .5XEQM
That's correct. Go here to see the details of each partner's earning rules. All of your selected airlines are 20% EQD for Y, and 5 or 10% for the lower fares.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
I am quite behind this year for EXP,
Departure Airport: Anywhere in North America or Europe.
Miles Needed: 66k eqm and 7k eqd
Required Spend or Budget: hopefully no more than $3k preferably in j
Available Travel Dates: Most of fall, flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes

i think i need a special deal ex eu or Middle East on partner codes for the eqd plus a special deal on aa for the eqms
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
I am quite behind this year for EXP,
Departure Airport: Anywhere in North America or Europe.
Miles Needed: 66k eqm and 7k eqd
Required Spend or Budget: hopefully no more than $3k preferably in j
Available Travel Dates: Most of fall, flexible
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes

i think i need a special deal ex eu or Middle East on partner codes for the eqd plus a special deal on aa for the eqms
The EQDs aren't too hard to manage, but your budget (in J) is a bit unrealistic. The first two trips would get you all the EQDs you need (and then some), but you'd still be around 10k short on EQM.

ARN-DOH-AKL rt on QR in J for $2,942
EQM: 35,700
EQD: 4,700

ARN-LHR-EZE rt on BA in J for $2,018
EQM: 22,100
EQD: 3,600

Cheaper PE options:

OSL-LHR-LAX rt on BA in PE for $882
**calculated LHR-LAX-LHR only. Will earn a bit more due to OSL-LHR flights.
EQM: 16,000+
EQD: 2,100+

OSL-LHR-HKG rt on BA/CX in PE for $928
**calculated LHR-HKG-LHR only. Will earn a bit more due to OSL-LHR flights.
EQM: 17,900+
EQD: 2,300+

OSL-SCL rt on AA in PE for $1,360
EQM: 28,700
EQD: 1,178
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:42 pm

Departure Airport(s): LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25K EQMs to make PP and 45K to make EP
EQDs Needed: <$2000
Max Budget: Flexible
Available Travel Dates: November and December 2018
Max # Travel Nights: Flexible
AA or Codeshare Partners: Prefer AA so I can upgrade if in Economy. Currently Platinum Pro.

Can anyone chime in and comment on this itinerary I found ??

Airline - American Airlines
Airport - LAX to HKG (non-stop)
Date - November 2018 (mid)
  • Economy Class (100% EQM and EQS) - $507USD
  • Premium Economy (Up to 1.5 EQM per mile flown on eligible flight) - $1037USD
1.) How would I confirm if I would actually receive 1.5 EQM for purchasing the Premium Economy flight?
2.) Would upgrading to Premium Economy be worth it?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, National Exec
Not too much more for Platinum...
Departure Airport: PHX
Miles Needed: 7000
Required Spend or Budget: $600
Available Travel Dates: 11/1-11/4, 11/29-12/2, 12/6-12/9, 12/20-12/23 (weekend or long weekend as needed)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shooting70s
Departure Airport(s): LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25K EQMs to make PP and 45K to make EP
EQDs Needed: <$2000
Max Budget: Flexible
Available Travel Dates: November and December 2018
Max # Travel Nights: Flexible
AA or Codeshare Partners: Prefer AA so I can upgrade if in Economy. Currently Platinum Pro.

Can anyone chime in and comment on this itinerary I found ??

Airline - American Airlines
Airport - LAX to HKG (non-stop)
Date - November 2018 (mid)
  • Economy Class (100% EQM and EQS) - $507USD
  • Premium Economy (Up to 1.5 EQM per mile flown on eligible flight) - $1037USD
1.) How would I confirm if I would actually receive 1.5 EQM for purchasing the Premium Economy flight?
2.) Would upgrading to Premium Economy be worth it?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

LAX-HKG-LAX is 14,520 miles. Yes, if you fly PE on a AA-marketed flight (or a CX one, for that matter), you will earn 1.5x EQM. But the EQD would be less than 1,000 on AA-marketed vs 3,000 on CX-marketed. There's a similar sizeable difference for Econ. So you might to check what the cost of the latter would be, whether Econ or PE.

Whether you fly in Econ or PE, that won't get you your 25k, and if you fly AA-marketed you'll still be way short on EQD. So, how you plan to earn the remaining needed needs to be part of your decision.

Whether PE is worth it or not is something only you can decide. Besides the above consideration, there's the direct benefits of sitting in PE vs Econ on such a long flight, which I'm sure you're aware of.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

LAX-HKG-LAX is 14,520 miles. Yes, if you fly PE on a AA-marketed flight (or a CX one, for that matter), you will earn 1.5x EQM. But the EQD would be less than 1,000 on AA-marketed vs 3,000 on CX-marketed. There's a similar sizeable difference for Econ. So you might to check what the cost of the latter would be, whether Econ or PE.

Whether you fly in Econ or PE, that won't get you your 25k, and if you fly AA-marketed you'll still be way short on EQD. So, how you plan to earn the remaining needed needs to be part of your decision.

Whether PE is worth it or not is something only you can decide. Besides the above consideration, there's the direct benefits of sitting in PE vs Econ on such a long flight, which I'm sure you're aware of.
Many thanks for the response. Here are a few "noob" questions:
  1. I am aware of the RT mileage for this itinerary. I didn't think there was a realistic way to get to get to Platinum Pro in one-trip, let alone Executive Platinum. I was actually prepared to take a second mileage run in December.
  2. Since I am a Platinum Pro right now, are the chances pretty good of getting upgraded to Business/1st Class? I have been on numerous trips, although domestic US, where I have been upgraded.
  3. Do most people use a particular website to plan for mileage runs? Or, is my method of using Google Flights and then MileCalc dot com the correct way?
Thanks again for the advice.

Last edited by shooting70s; Aug 22, 2018 at 6:47 pm Reason: I answered one of my own questions
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shooting70s
Many thanks for the response. Here are a few "noob" questions:
  1. I am aware of the RT mileage for this itinerary. I didn't think there was a realistic way to get to get to Platinum Pro in one-trip, let alone Executive Platinum. I was actually prepared to take a second mileage run in December.
  2. Since I am a Platinum Pro right now, are the chances pretty good of getting upgraded to Business/1st Class? I have been on numerous trips, although domestic US, where I have been upgraded.
  3. Do most people use a particular website to plan for mileage runs? Or, is my method of using Google Flights and then MileCalc dot com the correct way?
Thanks again for the advice.
2. LAX-HKG is probably not an easy one to get upgraded on, but it depends a lot on the day of week and time. This thread would be the place to look.

3. In addition to this thread, there are forums which report MR deals people have found; one for Economy, and one for premium fares. They cover all the airlines, so you have to do a lot of scouring. Yes, Google Flights and MileCalc (or gcmap.com) are the way to search for yourself. Or, if you're feeling adventurous, there's Google Flight's big brother ITA Matrix.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:33 am

Departure Airport(s): DFW/IAH/TYR
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 16K
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: < $600 (cheaper the better)
Available Travel Dates: September, October, or December 2018
Max # Travel Nights: Flexible, prefer Weekends
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA or Partners
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
This will do the trick, but it's a bit pricier.

CLT-CGK on AA/JL in PE for $1,430: 32,200 EQM
So...i booked.. well sort of.. for all of 12hrs until i was informed by the powers that be, that 10/20 weekend is a no go. Locally it was within 24hrs of booking, so no harm done, other than i now need to look for something for the weekend of 10/26. Tried to replicate the same, but no luck in terms of same airports without huge jumps in fares. With some of the new plans, +30K EQMs is going to be key, appreciate any suggestions for that weekend.

Departure Airport(s): CLT (although in past MR, I have re-positioned since CLT is expensive)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30K EQMs (for the right weekend trip could do 20K and save last 10K for a 2nd easier late year MR)
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: <=$800 (if higher fare for PE or B makes EQMs more attainable in 1 MR, then open to higher ~$1200?)
Available Travel Dates: 10/27, (backup 12/14 from CLT or MIA)
Max # Travel Nights: 0-1… Sleep in planes. Ideal leave Fri back Mon
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA preferred since I can try and use SWUs
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Luis M.
So...i booked.. well sort of.. for all of 12hrs until i was informed by the powers that be, that 10/20 weekend is a no go. Locally it was within 24hrs of booking, so no harm done, other than i now need to look for something for the weekend of 10/26. Tried to replicate the same, but no luck in terms of same airports without huge jumps in fares. With some of the new plans, +30K EQMs is going to be key, appreciate any suggestions for that weekend.

Departure Airport(s): CLT (although in past MR, I have re-positioned since CLT is expensive)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30K EQMs (for the right weekend trip could do 20K and save last 10K for a 2nd easier late year MR)
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: <=$800 (if higher fare for PE or B makes EQMs more attainable in 1 MR, then open to higher ~$1200?)
Available Travel Dates: 10/27, (backup 12/14 from CLT or MIA)
Max # Travel Nights: 0-1… Sleep in planes. Ideal leave Fri back Mon
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA preferred since I can try and use SWUs
Shifting that same trip one week to 10/26-28 is $1,653 (31,400 EQM) versus $1,430 for the previous itinerary. Not a huge difference, imo. Given your limited dates, it's going to be really difficult to get something that is cheap and will earn 30k EQM.

If you can do an extra day and position to JFK, then you can get the price down to $1,347.

Not really sure what else to do given your rather strict cost and time limitations.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Departure Airport(s): WAS, PHL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 22,500 EQM for ExPlat
Max Budget: $1500 or less if possible - willing to pay more for premium cabin
Available Travel Dates: Sept/Oct/Late November/Late December
Available Travel Nights: 5 but flexible
AA only, or Partners Okay: Don't care.
No

Last edited by beershack; Aug 27, 2018 at 11:46 am Reason: edit
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL/PM SM/AMEX/Plat HH/Gold Marriott/Plat Starwood/Plat
Departure Airport(s): IAD (but any close by will do)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 15K for PP / 40K for Exec Plat
EQDs Needed: N/A.
Max Budget: Around $3000
Available Travel Dates: Leave Dep: 09/19 - Back: 10/24
Max # Travel Nights: 5
AA only, or Partners Okay:

Final Destination is GYD but any other close airport with decent local connection will do. (DOH, DXB, IST..)
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beershack
Departure Airport(s): WAS, PHL
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 22,500 EQM for ExPlat
Max Budget: $1500 or less if possible - willing to pay more for premium cabin
Available Travel Dates: Sept/Oct/Late November/Late December
Available Travel Nights: 5 but flexible
AA only, or Partners Okay: Don't care.
No
IAD to HGK 10/11-10/14 $1532
Elite Qualifying Award miles
Miles (EQMs) Segments (EQSs) Dollars (EQDs) Total
27,188 5 1,405 12,645

HKG legs in PE

Other dates in NOV are less
beershack likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.