Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Explorist Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive Elite, UA Silver
Originally Posted by M1Dragon
Departure Airport(s): PHX/TUS (could drive or reposition to LAX but I'd really prefer not)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 8-10k (17k short right now, but a 2k trip coming up with another 5 likely following soon)
EQDs Needed: N/A
Max Budget: As low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Weekends preferred, can arrange schedule - the less hotel nights the better
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Whatever gets me to the goal
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

17k away from renewing platinum, and I've gotten a bit spoiled on it this year (first time) so trying to renew.
West Coast to China/HK is the best bang for the buck in economy for sure. For @$850 you can fly business/first PHX-SJU (San Juan Puerto Rico) and net around 13k EQMs, lots of routing options to play around with and some might give you lie flat MIA-DFW/LAX, this is widely available on most weekends, example below.

https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...=1537798637902

The last 4K EQMs a same day turn PHX-NYC is also readily available in the $300-$400 range.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:09 am

Hi All,

I need to renew my BA Gold status within the next month.
Any ideas / suggestions to get the cheapest run?

Departure Airport(s): Either anything in Europe or US East coast
Tier points Needed: at least 1100
Budget: none
Available Travel Dates: available asap (within the next 4 weeks)
Max # of travel days: 7
Class: Business/CW only
Airline: any OW airline
Goal: minimum 1500 tier points within 4 weeks or ultimately 5000 tier points by end of November
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:21 pm

Trying to keep Platinum and move up to Platinum Pro:

Departure Airport(s): ORD
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 20,000
EQDs Needed: 2,400
Max Budget: $2,800
Available Travel Dates: 10/3 - 10/7, 10/17-10/21, 11/7-11/11, 11/14-11/18
Max # of travel days: 2-4 days, must return no later than Sunday
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA, BA, AY, IB, and JAL

Europe is preferred over Asia

TIA
Old Sep 24, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by talltoddtravels
West Coast to China/HK is the best bang for the buck in economy for sure. For @$850 you can fly business/first PHX-SJU (San Juan Puerto Rico) and net around 13k EQMs, lots of routing options to play around with and some might give you lie flat MIA-DFW/LAX, this is widely available on most weekends, example below.

The last 4K EQMs a same day turn PHX-NYC is also readily available in the $300-$400 range.
Awesome tip on the SJU flights, thank you. Currently have an overnight on hold for $822, PHX-CLT-MIA-SJU on 12/1 and SJU-MIA-DFW-PHX on 12/2. Currently it's held direct with AA, not through Chase to get it as a special fare - I'm afraid to give it up because I didn't see it for that price on Chase. Worth trying to get it through Chase as a special fare or should I take the money and run?

Also, I'm getting confused by the class of service bonus miles as a special fare. Is it really this lucrative? I must be missing something...
- Flight: 6K miles RT - 6K award miles
- CoS bonus: 100% - 12K AMs
- Status bonus (Plat) - 60% - 19.2K AMs
- Promo bonus of 3x AMs - 300% - 57.6K AMs

Last edited by M1Dragon; Sep 24, 2018 at 11:54 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Awesome tip on the SJU flights, thank you. Currently have an overnight on hold for $822, PHX-CLT-MIA-SJU on 12/1 and SJU-MIA-DFW-PHX on 12/2. Currently it's held direct with AA, not through Chase to get it as a special fare - I'm afraid to give it up because I didn't see it for that price on Chase. Worth trying to get it through Chase as a special fare or should I take the money and run?

Also, I'm getting confused by the class of service bonus miles as a special fare. Is it really this lucrative? I must be missing something...
- Flight: 6K miles RT - 6K award miles
- CoS bonus: 100% - 12K AMs
- Status bonus (Plat) - 60% - 19.2K AMs
- Promo bonus of 3x AMs - 300% - 57.6K AMs
The bonuses are calculated off of the base miles, so the 6K in the case of a special fare.

Base = 6K
CoS Bonus = 0 (I'm not sure where you're getting a 100% class of service bonus. I fares don't earn one).
Status Bonus = 3.6K
Promo Bonus (I'm assuming this is a targeted offer that extends to December. I received one that is good only through 9/22) = 12K
Total = 21.6K (compared to 6K, assuming a fare of $750 once taxes and fees are removed and applying the PLT multiplier of 8 miles/$)
Old Sep 25, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The bonuses are calculated off of the base miles, so the 6K in the case of a special fare.

Base = 6K
CoS Bonus = 0 (I'm not sure where you're getting a 100% class of service bonus. I fares don't earn one).
Status Bonus = 3.6K
Promo Bonus (I'm assuming this is a targeted offer that extends to December. I received one that is good only through 9/22) = 12K
Total = 21.6K (compared to 6K, assuming a fare of $750 once taxes and fees are removed and applying the PLT multiplier of 8 miles/$)
Got it, thanks for the clarification. My multiplier is good through 12/7 so I'm set there - would it apply to the plate bonus as well? Also, any update to the text I need to look for in the fare rules on Chase to get it as a special fare?I'm looking for bulk or unpublished or anything like that and not seeing it. EDIT: Doesn't look like it's a SF, which I guess isn't terrible - 19.7K miles compared to the 57K I thought I might get. Still makes it a lot more expensive, relatively.

Last edited by M1Dragon; Sep 25, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: American Airlines, Starwood
mileage run

I need a good mileage run from Phoenix. I need 16000 miles to get to executive planinum. any good values???
Old Sep 25, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Got it, thanks for the clarification. My multiplier is good through 12/7 so I'm set there - would it apply to the plate bonus as well? Also, any update to the text I need to look for in the fare rules on Chase to get it as a special fare?I'm looking for bulk or unpublished or anything like that and not seeing it. EDIT: Doesn't look like it's a SF, which I guess isn't terrible - 19.7K miles compared to the 57K I thought I might get. Still makes it a lot more expensive, relatively.
The triple miles is off of the base mileage. So if it's not a special fare, the triple mileage would be based off 5 miles/$ x $(cost of ticket less taxes and fees). For example, assuming $750 fare, $750 x 5 x 3 = 11,250. Add the Plat bonus of 60% of (750 x 5) and you would get 13,500.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: IHG, Starwood, AA Advantage
On Track to Get Platinum Pro this year, but looking to possibly hit a big mileage run to hit EP

Departure Airport(s): DFW (But can reposition pretty much anywhere in US due to work)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30K
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: All weeknds through November and Decemeber
Max # Travel Nights: 3-4
AA only, or Partners Okay: Oneworld Metal
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No, but can obtain if necessary.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: Plt Pro / AA Plat for Life / 2MM
Departure Airport(s): MIA, FLL, PBI
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,800
Max Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Mid Week - Same day return
Max # Travel Nights: 0
AA only, or Partners Okay: Oneworld Metal (but for such few miles it will likely be AA)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

Only need a few EQMs to requalify for PlatPro, but already spent a lot of money this year on personal travel. Trying to do this as quickly and cheaply as possible. Anyone have a good option for out and back same day? Prefer mid week because the chances of upgrades or empty seats are much higher.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27, 2018, 3:59 pm

Departure Airport: DEN
Miles Needed: 10 - 12k
Required Spend or Budget: $500 max
Available Travel Dates: 11/3 - 11/4
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA metal

Hoping for same-day round trip/multi-city, or Sat to Sun overnight. Shorter first class trip with the EQM bonus would be just fine too. Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Sjkabak
Departure Airport(s): MIA, FLL, PBI
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 3,800
Max Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Mid Week - Same day return
Max # Travel Nights: 0
AA only, or Partners Okay: Oneworld Metal (but for such few miles it will likely be AA)
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): No

Only need a few EQMs to requalify for PlatPro, but already spent a lot of money this year on personal travel. Trying to do this as quickly and cheaply as possible. Anyone have a good option for out and back same day? Prefer mid week because the chances of upgrades or empty seats are much higher.

Thanks!

A Seattle round trip pegs in as 5552 miles for a same day return on a Tuesday
Old Sep 28, 2018, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL/Marriott/Hilton Gold
Long-ish time lurker, First-ish time poster. Thanks in advance for the advice and assistance!

I'm a bit shy of hitting platinum, but have extremely flexible free time between now and end of year, so if someone sees something with a crazy large amount of EQM's, or a couple mid-sized hops that would get me Platinum Pro would not be amiss either. I've been keeping an eye on forums and other sites for a couple weeks, but nothing incredible has been spotted yet. The more status and miles I can get, the happier I'll be - I'm getting married in 2019, so miles and status will only make the honeymoon better!

Departure Airport(s): SLC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 12,000 (Platinum) or 37,000 (Platinum Pro)
EQDs Needed: $0 (Platinum) or $800 (Platinum Pro)
Max Budget: $900 for Platinum, could stretch to $1500 for Platinum Pro
Available Travel Dates: Any 2018 dates Except 10/23-27, 11/20-11/28
Max # Travel Nights: 4 ideally, can stretch for a great deal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: As long as they give AA EQMs

Thanks again for the help! I'm hoping I can find something with a nice few nights between layovers and destination to actually see something. Of course, if someone finds something with 60k EQM and $4000 EQD to get me to ExP, I'd gladly sit in an airplane for the entire 6 days

Last edited by popperj; Sep 28, 2018 at 2:31 pm Reason: Adjusting $$
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:30 pm

Looking for AA Mileage Run Starting in NYC

I need 6,000 more elite qualifying miles to qualify for AA status. Any suggestions for something cheap and over the weekend?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:06 pm

EQD+EQM run to hit exec plat from AUS/DFW

Departure Airport(s): AUS / DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 14,300 miles
EQDs Needed:
~$2900
Max Budget: $1200
Available Travel Dates: Late Nov - all of December
Max # Travel Nights: shorter the better, more important to complete travel quickly than be gone on certain days of the week
AA only, or Partners Okay: partners ok
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): yes

Hi folks, looking to hit exec plat for the first time,but think I'm going to miss by ~ 14k miles and ~$3k dollars. I think this is a prime target for special fares, but I'm not very well versed in the ins-and outs of getting a nice EQD spend on a lower out of pocket cost. I have a good stash of chase ultimate rewards points I was going to dip into if I found the right trip. I'm also routing all spend to my aviator red which *might* clear the mark to get a 'free' EQD benefit of $3,000 EQDs but not positive so looking for ways to get the spend and the miles all complete in one trip. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.