Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DL787
I am in a challenge program and need some more EQMs before May 26 to make Plat Pro for the year.

Departure: WAS (BWI, IAD, DCA)
Miles Needed: 3,500 EQMs
Budget: As little as possible
Available Travel Dates: Prefer same day, or 1 night sometime during May 21-25
Required Metal or Codeshare: AA or earning 100% EQM on AA partners.

Help is greatly appreciated!!
On May 23 DCA-PHX RT is $347 with a 10-hr layover in LAS outbound; $402 for BWI-PHX RT non-stop. That's about 4k miles.

Or you could do DCA-MIA on both 22 and 23 for a total of $376.
Old May 7, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by terry67
Departure Airport: ORD
Miles Needed: 17,500 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: <1,500
Available Travel Dates: 5/19~5/21
Required Metal or Codeshares okay:

I will have plenty of EQD but short on EQM after MLE run.
Right now I have two options for that weekend. Either fly to HKG or JNB, both trip can give me more than 17,000 EQM.

Does anyone have better suggestion?
thank you,
You can do PVG with direct flights for $850 the two weekends after, or in the fall for $750. 14k eqms but cheaper/faster/healthier. Need visa though, which you can get for ~$100
Old May 7, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by DL787
I am in a challenge program and need some more EQMs before May 26 to make Plat Pro for the year.

Departure: WAS (BWI, IAD, DCA)
Miles Needed: 3,500 EQMs
Available Travel Dates: Prefer same day, or 1 night sometime during May 21-25

Help is greatly appreciated!!
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
On May 23 DCA-PHX RT is $347 with a 10-hr layover in LAS outbound; $402 for BWI-PHX RT non-stop. That's about 4k miles.

Or you could do DCA-MIA on both 22 and 23 for a total of $376.
Another potential option is DCA-FLL-DCA on 5/23 for $143 and then DCA-PBI-DCA for $151 on 5/24.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:46 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

Right now I have two options for that weekend. Either fly to HKG or JNB, both trip can give me more than 17,000 EQM.

thank you,
Hi there, i'm thinking of doing a run over the same weekend. Also ORD based. Following.
Old May 7, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

thank you,
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Hi there, i'm thinking of doing a run over the same weekend. Also ORD based. Following.
ORD-SGN is $1047. All AA-coded flights. Not sure about your visa situation. A ground transfer between NRT and HND is required on the outbound, and Vietnam typically requires a visa for US citizens (although not sure you'd have to enter the country with a 3 hour turnaround in SGN).
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...0-NRTORD0AA154
Old May 7, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: American Airline
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
ORD-SGN is $1047. All AA-coded flights. Not sure about your visa situation. A ground transfer between NRT and HND is required on the outbound, and Vietnam typically requires a visa for US citizens (although not sure you'd have to enter the country with a 3 hour turnaround in SGN).
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...0-NRTORD0AA154
I just booked the trip ORD-NRT-BKK-NRT-ORD, which costs me about $1100.
I will get 18280 EQM.
Not a great deal, but not too bad either.
If you want to stay in Japan for one more night and come back on Monday morning, you can book the ticket + hotel package on aa vacation at about the same price but you will get more EQD.
Thanks
Old May 8, 2017, 5:50 pm

Mileage run to complete challenge

Departure: MHT (Manchester, NH)
Miles Needed: 15k EQMs
Available Travel Dates: Prefer same day, or 1 night sometime (May 26th -29th)
Old May 8, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by thegurusteve
Departure: MHT (Manchester, NH)
Miles Needed: 15k EQMs
Available Travel Dates: Prefer same day, or 1 night sometime (May 26th -29th)
BOS-JNB RT via LHR is a little over 18k. $1292 for May 27-28, and only $990 if you fly back on 29.

Alternatively, 3 BOS-LAX would do, for a total of $1165.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:23 am

BOS-JNB RT via LHR is a little over 18k. $1292 for May 27-28, and only $990 if you fly back on 29.

Looking for something cheaper if possible since I have the whole weekend to take advantage of. It seems like non AA metal would be the best fit, but not sure the best way to search for those deals.

Is this considered a good route?
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...743;a=ONEWORLD

Not sure of the AA rules with Qatar.

Last edited by thegurusteve; May 9, 2017 at 11:32 am
Old May 9, 2017, 12:05 pm

Looking for something cheaper if possible since I have the whole weekend to take advantage of. It seems like non AA metal would be the best fit, but not sure the best way to search for those deals.
I was using Google Flights to search, so partners were showing up; and remember that using a partner never gets you better EQM than flying AA, and can easily be worse.

GF has an "Explore Destinations" map, which makes to easy to see fares for destinations which appear to be far enough away. Please give it try, as I could have missed something.

To hit 15k EQM, you have a few choices:
1. Fly at least 10k miles in a premium cabin.
2. Fly to a destination in Asia or waaaay beyond Europe (even Dubai isn't far enough).
3. Take 3 or more fairly short flights.
4. Take 2 7.5k flights (like Milan or Rome).
5. Take one fairly long flight (like Dubai) and one short.

For 2, there was the $990 suggestion I made. Today there's nothing under $1100 unless you can return on the 30th.

For 3, there is the combination I suggested, which has also gone up a bit. You might luck out on last minute sale fares to LAX or the like, maybe even for 3 days in a row, but I wouldn't count on it.

For the others, finding just the longer flight for under $1k is not completely impossible -- fares to Hong Kong do sometimes pop up -- but given your time constraints I wouldn't count on it.

When you're limited to such a narrow time span only a few weeks out, the odds of getting 15k for much less than $1k are really bad.

ETA: There was, in fact, a BOS-HKG sale recently discussed in the MR forum. Under $700, but it was only available through mid-May. Right now, if you could fly May 17-19 or 21-23, it would still only be $865. But the later dates you want are higher.

That's less than 15k actual miles, and QR only earns .5x EQM in discount econ to boot; and it's over $1k, which OP unrealistically hopes to stay under.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; May 9, 2017 at 12:25 pm Reason: Added new info
Old May 9, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Why 15k needed for challenge? Exp targeted challenge? Also, don't only JV count for challenge?
Old May 9, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Why 15k needed for challenge? Exp targeted challenge? Also, don't only JV count for challenge?
Good point. That's another reason why QR is out.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:25 pm

Good point. That's another reason why QR is out.
I am new to the mileage run game and trying to learn from the vet's on the best options. Someone had shared on another post that non AA metal generates better EQM and EQD for flights to Dubai and Asia. So I was looking at options via GF, but wasn't sure of how the flights calculated EQD and EQM's on partners. Did some searching and found the tables and then found the booking codes via ITA Matrix. So learning as I go..

Appreciate the information and time you put in to both looking and responding SpammersAreScum.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I am new to the mileage run game and trying to learn from the vet's on the best options. Someone had shared on another post that non AA metal generates better EQM and EQD for flights to Dubai and Asia. So I was looking at options via GF, but wasn't sure of how the flights calculated EQD and EQM's on partners. Did some searching and found the tables and then found the booking codes via ITA Matrix. So learning as I go..

Appreciate the information and time you put in to both looking and responding SpammersAreScum.
That's only true for partner flights in PY and J. Notably CX PY and QR J. We still don't know if what you're looking for is for a exp or plat challenge.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
That's only true for partner flights in PY and J. Notably CX PY and QR J. We still don't know if what you're looking for is for a exp or plat challenge.
exp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.