Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Robertsonland
OK cool. I do have the APEC card which in Shanghai gets me through Immigration quickly.
APEC is the best $70 you can spend if you travel to Asia! I've used it in Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou and Hong Kong , so you'll have no problem using it on your trip.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
This is tricky. A HKG RT is almost enough miles and only costs $1200 in Econ on AA. So two of them would just about do it for EQM; same for a single Business trip, which would cost way over $2500.

But obviously this would be way short on EQD. The way to get EQD much higher than spend is to fly on a partner. But then the EQM is lower unless you're flying PE: MIA-EWR-HKG-SIN-LAX-MIA for $1803 is PE CX on the international segments (18,419 miles) and Econ AA on the domestic (3,427 miles); that should do it for EQD but be about 7,000 short on EQM.

A simple LHR RT is over 8,800 miles, and available on AA for $723.

Done, for $2526. Close enough?
Found an AA vacations I* fare from MCO-PHL-LAX-PEK-LAX-MCO for 35964 EQM and 3596.4 EQD. Will hit EP with just 1 trip instead of 2. Cost $2284
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sgan317
Found an AA vacations I* fare from MCO-PHL-LAX-PEK-LAX-MCO for 35964 EQM and 3596.4 EQD. Will hit EP with just 1 trip instead of 2. Cost $2284
You said you needed 38k EQM. The 1k EQM (assuming you have status) earned on a tacked-on MIA-MCO round trip still leaves you just over another 1k to earn with the remaining $100 or so.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
You said you needed 38k EQM. The 1k EQM (assuming you have status) earned on a tacked-on MIA-MCO round trip still leaves you just over another 1k to earn with the remaining $100 or so.
Had a work trip come up this week from MIA-TLH to cover the difference.
SpammersAreScum likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Departure Airport(s): DFW, SYD, MEL, HKG, or most of Europe
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 0
EQDs Needed: $5K
Max Budget: ~$2K
Available Travel Dates: Open
Max # Travel Nights: Open
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Y

Way short on EQD this year due to shifting flying to DL, but maybe still enough AA BIS to justify a run.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:41 pm

Hi all gurus,

Looking for some advice/help. I am hoping to retain EP but has only started travelling SFO-PHL. I figured I have a total of 14 weeks of SFO-PHL travel which gets me to about 70K miles. I will be short of EQMs and EQDs which I calculated to be about 4.5k short. I will likely need to make a run or two to make up the difference to get me over the EP line

Departure Airport(s): SFO, SJC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30K
EQDs Needed: ~$4.5K
Available Travel Dates: Open, preferable Fri,Sat,Sun
Max # Travel Nights: 3
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kaninahbu
Hi all gurus,

Looking for some advice/help. I am hoping to retain EP but has only started travelling SFO-PHL. I figured I have a total of 14 weeks of SFO-PHL travel which gets me to about 70K miles. I will be short of EQMs and EQDs which I calculated to be about 4.5k short. I will likely need to make a run or two to make up the difference to get me over the EP line

Departure Airport(s): SFO, SJC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 30K
EQDs Needed: ~$4.5K
Available Travel Dates: Open, preferable Fri,Sat,Sun
Max # Travel Nights: 3
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
Keep your eye open for a deal on SFO-AKL/SYD in CX PE (through HKG, of course). Right now, it's about $2.4K, but I've seen it around $2.0K. With the 1.5x EQM and 20% of miles flown for E class, that's your best bet, given your stated needs.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by jridge
Departure Airport(s): DFW, SYD, MEL, HKG, or most of Europe
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 0
EQDs Needed: $5K
Available Travel Dates: Open
Max # Travel Nights: Open
Y

Way short on EQD this year due to shifting flying to DL, but maybe still enough AA BIS to justify a run.
Generally, 2.5 EQD/$ is a rare find, indeed. If AKL works for you, AKL-JNB is usually around $2K in CX PE and would get you something like 4.92K EQDs. You might be able to add JNB-CPT-JNB in BA Y without much change in the price to push you over the $5K mark.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Generally, 2.5 EQD/$ is a rare find, indeed. If AKL works for you, AKL-JNB is usually around $2K in CX PE and would get you something like 4.92K EQDs. You might be able to add JNB-CPT-JNB in BA Y without much change in the price to push you over the $5K mark.
Thanks for the reply, I still have another trip to book yet, so the required total may be closer to $4.8K when all is said & done. I'm also looking at $2200 for $4.6K EQD ex-Europe to BKK on a same-day turn.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Departure Airport: JFK, SFO, LAX, (ARN, EDI, LHR December only)
Max Budget: 2-3k
Miles Needed: 25k
Required Spend or Budget: 3.25k
Available Travel Dates: Open to do 5-7 day trips in mid Oct, all November / early December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Don't mind!

I have a upcoming trip (unbooked) where I need to go JFK - ARN, ARN - EDI, EDI - JFK on specific dates in December on the outbound but can be flex on the way back. I also have JFK - LAX trip end of October which I don't have the rtn for so could potentially do a deal out of LAX or SFO.

Curious to know if it's worth chasing or not to keep AA PLT. Next year is a heavy travel year with 3 rtn trips to Europe and 1 return to New Zealand (CX PE) in the first 4 months where I'll hit PLT again quickly. Is it perhaps saving resources to chase executive plat 2019.

Thanks everyone!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by mosfet
Departure Airport: JFK, SFO, LAX, (ARN, EDI, LHR December only)
Max Budget: 2-3k
Miles Needed: 25k
Required Spend or Budget: 3.25k
Available Travel Dates: Open to do 5-7 day trips in mid Oct, all November / early December
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Don't mind!
!
Some general thoughts:
* CX regularly has PE fares from LAX to Australia and NZ for about $2300 (sometimes lower), and a little higher from NYC
* AY (Finnair) regularly has biz fares from JFK (thought HEL) to Asia for about $3k. I flew them to SIN earlier this year and got a boatload of miles and especially EQD (something around $4200)
* AA Vacations has some decent biz fares to Asia, anywhere from $2-3k going from now into next year. Some are from targeted cities, like SAN, LAX, MCO, or RDU. There's an LAX-HKG-BKK fare for about $2900. Just pick the lowest hotel and don't show, it doesn't matter. If you book through the vacations site, make sure the fare code has * after it, and the EQD will be calculated based on distance.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Thanks so much for the reply.

Those CX fares are a gem and next year I'm taking full advantage.

Curious to know if it's at all possible to net what I need to keep platinum this year with my trip to ARN / EDI from JFK at the end of the year?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by mosfet
Thanks so much for the reply.

Those CX fares are a gem and next year I'm taking full advantage.

Curious to know if it's at all possible to net what I need to keep platinum this year with my trip to ARN / EDI from JFK at the end of the year?
Check BA PE to SJC from ARN. It used to be consistently in the $700-800 range. Not sure if that’s the case anymore.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: American
Mileage Run American Airlines

Need a mileage run on AA to get to EP. Prefer business class
Departure Airport(s): MIA
EQMs Needed: 4,000
Max Budget: $800
Available Travel Dates: Oct 5 - 7 or Oct 12 - 14
Max # Travel Nights: 2
AA only
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:04 am

Hello, Need to maintain EXP. Will be about 20,000 EQM Short:

Departure Airport: DCA/IAD/BWI/PHL
Miles Needed: 20,000 EQM, 2000 EQD
Required Spend or Budget: up to $2000
Available Travel Dates: 2 days
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA preferred

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.