Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
I am not sure if this correct place for question on Google flight tool.

1) how can we see the price graph or date calendar when we search for multiple segments in Google flight

Or

2) How can force multiple connection airport in Round trip option. For Example I want to do same date round trip on AA from AUS-JFK but I want to connection to AUS-DFW-BOS-JFK and on the return JFK-PIT-DFW-AUS. I want to see the cheap fare dates available.

Any suggestions how to see these options

Last edited by rajhyd99; May 28, 2018 at 1:43 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 29, 2018, 12:18 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
I am not sure if this correct place for question on Google flight tool.

1) how can we see the price graph or date calendar when we search for multiple segments in Google flight

Or

2) How can force multiple connection airport in Round trip option. For Example I want to do same date round trip on AA from AUS-JFK but I want to connection to AUS-DFW-BOS-JFK and on the return JFK-PIT-DFW-AUS. I want to see the cheap fare dates available.

Any suggestions how to see these options
The better option is to use ITA Matrix. You can use the advanced controls field to specify particular connections and search using the calendar.

atbPy likes this.
Old May 29, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: EI Gold Circle Elite, ICH Platinum, HH
Dublin to Auckland in Business for Under 3k possible?

Hi All

I need to spend a few days in Auckland towards the end of July beginning of August - dates flexible. Need to be there mid week for work Tue to Friday departure. Finding it difficult to sort out a routing that can actually get me there on OneWorld for less than 3k in business. Any suggestions welcome and am flexible on number of stop! Would mind turning it into a bit of a mileage run

Thanks

J
Old May 29, 2018, 9:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Alaska MVP Gold
There are some fares from Oslo with Qatar, 2400-2800 euro with Momondo. That will be as good as it gets, I think. From Dublin, China Airlines has some good fares (all the way on A350, quite good). Not OneWorld though. If positioning is acceptable, Qatar from the Nordics will be your best option.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXEP 2MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Avis President Club, Marriot gold,Emerald Exec,
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The better option is to use ITA Matrix. You can use the advanced controls field to specify particular connections and search using the calendar.

Thanks for Suggestion for ITA tool. So there is nothing in google flights for this yet. Just wanted to make sure I was not going crazy and missing out.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
Thanks for Suggestion for ITA tool. So there is nothing in google flights for this yet. Just wanted to make sure I was not going crazy and missing out.
You can filter for specific connecting cities on GF, but that will not necessarily give you the routing you want; it only filters out all routings that connect through cities other than the ones you’ve selected. Other than that, you’d probably have to do some multi-city search.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:03 am

Seeking Charlotte based mileage run

Departure Airport(s): CLT, GSP, GSO
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 25,000 EQMs (no segments)
EQDs Needed: 0
Max Budget: $1K
Available Travel Dates: July - December
Max # Travel Nights: 3
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any oneworld
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y, US Passport.

Morning all, thanks in advance for your help. This is a pretty broad request, so I hope someone can provide some insight in the best potential routes or ways to track pricing over the rest of the year. I'm currently Platinum which was gained through an offer from AA last year - I only traveled enough to be Gold. However, this year I increased travel and I think I will be hitting ~$8,500 EQDs and 50,000 EQM's this year. I'd like to try and get Platinum Pro, so I'm looking to find a mileage run strategy to gain ~25,000 miles during the second half of the year. I'm open to traveling on a number of shorter trips or grabbing it all at once. The key is that I will need ~25,000 and I'd like to minimize my cash outlay. I don't need dollars or segments.

Any suggestions out there? I greatly enjoy reading all the comments out there, but I rarely find something that works for CLT.
Old May 31, 2018, 9:28 am

Hello - I appreciate all the help. I’m AA PLT, trying to attain EXP.
Due to a severe downturn in work travel I'm left far short of the usual 50k-75k miles per annum normally flown, and now need to reach this daunting task out of my own pocket. Thanks!

Departure Airport: PHL, EWR, JFK (can depart/return from any/all of the 3)
Miles Needed: 48,500 - flexible on pace (although the sooner, the better)
Required Spend or Budget: As economically as possible, while hitting the remaining $5,300 required
Available Travel Dates: Anytime
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares fine, as long as they credit toward AA for status
Old May 31, 2018, 10:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by TechPhi97
Any suggestions out there? I greatly enjoy reading all the comments out there, but I rarely find something that works for CLT.
What have you found so far?
Are you keeping an eye on the MR Deals and MR Premium forums?

While there may not be something specifically for CLT, quite often there are deals from other cities (ORD, DFW, NYC, etc.) and you can simply buy or use miles for a positioning flight. I'm doing just that for a CX ORD-HKG-CMB biz deal in a few months.

25k miles for $1000 is going to be tough. You basically need to do international PE, which usually will be closer to $1500.
Old May 31, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
What have you found so far?
Are you keeping an eye on the MR Deals and MR Premium forums?

While there may not be something specifically for CLT, quite often there are deals from other cities (ORD, DFW, NYC, etc.) and you can simply buy or use miles for a positioning flight. I'm doing just that for a CX ORD-HKG-CMB biz deal in a few months.

25k miles for $1000 is going to be tough. You basically need to do international PE, which usually will be closer to $1500.
I've been using Matrix ITA to test some CX flights to Hong Kong using JFK and ORD as well as some of the west coast to Europe stuff on BA, but can't find anything under $2,400 or so. I have been looking at the MR Deals forums, but didn't recognize that there is a Premium Forum. I'm OK with $1,500, although I'm wondering if I might get offered an opportunity to pay-up for PlatPro by American at some point.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been using Matrix ITA to test some CX flights to Hong Kong using JFK and ORD as well as some of the west coast to Europe stuff on BA, but can't find anything under $2,400 or so. I have been looking at the MR Deals forums, but didn't recognize that there is a Premium Forum. I'm OK with $1,500, although I'm wondering if I might get offered an opportunity to pay-up for PlatPro by American at some point.
Do you have the BA Chase credit card and/or an AARP membership? Note, you don't need to be a certain age to be an AARP member.
Since you have a Chinese visa, I'd check on fares via LHR to PEK/PVG/HKG.
Last year a friend of mine who lives in your area (CAE) did ATL-LHR-PVG. I flew AUS-LHR-PVG, we met at LHR and traveled together. At the time the fare was about $1700 with the Chase and AARP discounts for BA PE. That trip gave somewhere around 40k EQM.
Google flights typically won't have BA flights to East Asia (they do have India, if that is of interest). So you need to use the BA website to browse their fares to East Asia.

If you've been Plat Pro, you should get a chance to buy up, probably when you hit about 55k miles (but it will be quite costly). If you haven't, I'd say around 68k miles you'll start to see the buy up offers. They usually start in mid-November.
Old May 31, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
Do you have the BA Chase credit card and/or an AARP membership? Note, you don't need to be a certain age to be an AARP member.
Since you have a Chinese visa, I'd check on fares via LHR to PEK/PVG/HKG.
Last year a friend of mine who lives in your area (CAE) did ATL-LHR-PVG. I flew AUS-LHR-PVG, we met at LHR and traveled together. At the time the fare was about $1700 with the Chase and AARP discounts for BA PE. That trip gave somewhere around 40k EQM.
Google flights typically won't have BA flights to East Asia (they do have India, if that is of interest). So you need to use the BA website to browse their fares to East Asia.

If you've been Plat Pro, you should get a chance to buy up, probably when you hit about 55k miles (but it will be quite costly). If you haven't, I'd say around 68k miles you'll start to see the buy up offers. They usually start in mid-November.
Thank you, this is very good info and really helps me out. I'm not a BA Chase member, I've got the Citi Exec AA card. And I'm not an AARP member, but will look into that.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:04 pm

Thank you, this is very good info and really helps me out. I'm not a BA Chase member, I've got the Citi Exec AA card. And I'm not an AARP member, but will look into that.
If you can use miles or find a cheap fare to AUS, check this out. If it is easier/cheaper to position to PHX, you can get this even cheaper.
I'd play around with that and see if you can't find something closer/more convenient as your starting point.
Old May 31, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ritz
Hello - I appreciate all the help. I’m AA PLT, trying to attain EXP.
Due to a severe downturn in work travel I'm left far short of the usual 50k-75k miles per annum normally flown, and now need to reach this daunting task out of my own pocket. Thanks!

Departure Airport: PHL, EWR, JFK (can depart/return from any/all of the 3)
Miles Needed: 48,500 - flexible on pace (although the sooner, the better)
Required Spend or Budget: As economically as possible, while hitting the remaining $5,300 required
Available Travel Dates: Anytime
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Codeshares fine, as long as they credit toward AA for status
If you want to do this in style/biz, here's an itinerary for about $2800. Would give about $5k EQD and 30k EQM.
I'm doing this trip, but spent a little less.

Also check my prior replies for travel to PVG, if you have a Chinese visa (you don't indicate either way). If you don't have a visa (and don't want to consider getting one), look at HKG.
You may want to try some of the PVG routes in PE; fares are about $1000-1100, and give more EQM and EQD.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Bang for My Buck (This Weekend)

Hi All. I'd like to grab a trip this coming weekend. The family will be away so I won't be missing anything. Seems like the perfect time.

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: As many as I can get for the buck
Required Spend or Budget: Less than $1,500
Available Travel Dates: 6/8 or 6/9 to 6/11 or 6/112
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Any

Considering the KEF rooundtrip, but can't get a good read on the EQM number. Trip is $891 pre-tax. Any help? Other ideas? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.