Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HGBT2018
Departure Airport: ORD or DTW
Miles Needed: 11,000 eqm
Required Spend or Budget: 1,200 or less
Available Travel Dates: Before the end of the year
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA
surprisingly easy, better if you have SWU to burn.
check out google flights for trips to PVG. Lots of options showing before EoY on AA (787 to boot) for as low as $880 up to ~$1200.
ord-pvg-ord is ~14k Miles or so.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
USA Today's BenMutzabaugh MR on AA

This guy spent over $400 for 355 miles EQM (not EQD run!) and wrote an article on USA today about mileage run. Cheers.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ion/975452001/
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Kmxu
This guy spent over $400 for 355 miles EQM (not EQD run!) and wrote an article on USA today about mileage run. Cheers.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ion/975452001/
Lol...depends on your definition of a "mileage run," I guess. Clearly, though, this guy wasn't thinking solely about the miles, despite what his (misleading) title says.

But Toronto is home to several friends, including my best friend from college. Not coincidentally, I was overdue to visit -- and I had a free place to stay.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by QPProletarian
Departure Airport(s): HKG (possibly BKK or ICN)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 9,730
EQDs Needed: $892
Max Budget: minimal as possible.
Available Travel Dates: 12/27-12/28
Max # Travel Nights: 0-2
AA only, or Partners Okay: Okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N) N

Can depart HKG after 1pm Dec 27. Want to be in URT as soon as possible following this (aside from run)

Can find CX/UL HKG-SIN-CMB for $995 in I & D class. Gets me back to HKG which is not as convient to URT.
Possibly had 1hr-ish back-to-back turnaround in CMB on UL. Is this do-able? Have never been before.
1-hr turnaround in CMB is highly not recommended, even if it might technically be legal.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.30
OFFLINE .20 1.00 1.00 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
UL-UL DD .15
UL-UL DI 1.30
UL-UL II 1.00 ALL - FLT 2000 - 2900
UL-UL II .45 ALL - FLT 2901 - 2999
UL-UL II 1.00 FLT 2000 - 2900 - ALL
UL-UL II .45 FLT 2901 - 2999 - ALL
UL-UL II .45
OS-OS II 1.00
KE-UL II 1.30
UL-KE II 1.30
9W-KE II 1.05
**-CX II 1.00
**-SV II 1.30
**-UL II 1.00
CX-** II 1.30
UL-** II 1.00
Have you checked to see how much it would be to buy up to PPro? At this point, it might be the better deal.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo
ORD-DFW-CLT-FLL-ORD :: $203 AA in Econ :: 3500+ EQM :: Dec 21
Thank you so much melrowgo. This worked out! Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.
melrowgo likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: AAEXP, BASlv, UAGold, Hyatt Diam, IHG Plt, SPG Plt, HH Diam, MR Plat, CC Gold, Nat ExecElite
Better Late Than Never!

Departure Airport(s): PVD/BOS (possibly NYC, BDL, MHT, HVN)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 4,530 for EXP
EQDs Needed: All wrapped up
Max Budget: $500, preferably under $400
Available Travel Dates: 12/28-12/30
Max # Travel Nights: 1 pref but can stay 2 if needed
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer to stay domestic given number of miles needed, but would consider other locations in North America or Northern South America
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N) N/A but no

Available travel times - Noon ish Thursday through anytime Saturday, prefer only 1 night away (either Thursday or Friday), and would rather break it up anyway so i can do say 3 flights one day/overnight/2 flights next as opposed to 5-6 in a row!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by KevinInRI
Departure Airport(s): PVD/BOS (possibly NYC, BDL, MHT, HVN)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 4,530 for EXP
EQDs Needed: All wrapped up
Max Budget: $500, preferably under $400
Available Travel Dates: 12/28-12/30
Max # Travel Nights: 1 pref but can stay 2 if needed
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer to stay domestic given number of miles needed, but would consider other locations in North America or Northern South America
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N) N/A but no

Available travel times - Noon ish Thursday through anytime Saturday, prefer only 1 night away (either Thursday or Friday), and would rather break it up anyway so i can do say 3 flights one day/overnight/2 flights next as opposed to 5-6 in a row!
Most West coast cities will get you your EQMs. PVR is showing up as a winner with room to spare.
I saw more availability Thursday if you can swing getting out earlier.
Careful not to book BE as many showed. In fact, I had to really dig on GF to avoid it and keep within budget.
$472 on AA: https://goo.gl/JMZDEE. ~5900 miles.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by thndrmatt
Departure Airport(s): If 12/19-12/24: MCO, if 12/27-12/31: BWI/DCA/IAD/RIC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,112, or 9 segments to PLT
EQDs Needed: N/A
Budget: their offer for platinum upgrade is $895, so enough under that for the time to make sense
Available Travel Dates: 12/19-12/31, not 24 or 25
Max # Travel Nights: 0
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Have a 2 year old and 1 year old, so wife is only giving me a leash long enough for a same day out and back, bonus if it’s a weekday during business hours. Red eye an option maybe if I’m back before they wake up. Given the offer to upgrade it would probably only make sense if lower. Best I could find was 8 segments in a day, and not much luck finding a long enough 3xEQM flight either.

12/28
0630a-BWI-PHL-MYR-CLT-BWI-PHL-CLT-MCO-1216a
12/29
0630a-MCO-MIA-BWI-1101a
$478

Weather looks good for tomorrow and the next day, and that's a $400 savings over the upgrade offer... let the waffling begin

edit: went for it! And bonus is 6 of 8 upgrades already cleared. Only one tiny single class plane in the itinerary.

So if I'm not mistaken, now is when I hope for shenanigans on/before leg 1 so I can just redirect to MCO and request credit for original routing?

Last edited by thndrmatt; Dec 27, 2017 at 6:47 am
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Greetings! Long time lurker here and now I find myself in a spot where 5800 EQM will renew AA PP for next year. Need some help from the top talent on this site! Thanks in advance!

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 5800
Required Spend or Budget: Pref <$1k USD
Available Travel Dates: Now to EOY
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Whatever gets the EQM needed
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gabriel Albani
Greetings! Long time lurker here and now I find myself in a spot where 5800 EQM will renew AA PP for next year. Need some help from the top talent on this site! Thanks in advance!

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 5800
Required Spend or Budget: Pref <$1k USD
Available Travel Dates: Now to EOY
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Whatever gets the EQM needed
Welcome.
Long day ahead but DFW-CLT-BOS-LAX-SMF-DFW gets you ~6079 miles for $758: https://goo.gl/SJJFfb.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:05 pm

This week I'm doing segment Runs to hit EP. Christmas Day was a 5 segment day, but due to deicing, 1 segment was missed. So, is it possible to call and see if I can get credit for the missed segment? Any have luck with that ? I'm at 119 without it!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by davidkierz
This week I'm doing segment Runs to hit EP. Christmas Day was a 5 segment day, but due to deicing, 1 segment was missed. So, is it possible to call and see if I can get credit for the missed segment? Any have luck with that ? I'm at 119 without it!
sure, it’s possible to call . In the days of old (US), before Dougie’s DUI, this was possible and I’d consider even likely (first-hand experience). In this case, I suspect that history is not on your side here. With less power in the hands of the agents and the introduction of buy-ups, my guess would be no. I’d be more inclined to email the facts and hope for the best but you likely won’t get your answer before EoY, I’d think. It certainly, I believe, can’t hurt to try.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: American Ex Plat, Avis Presidents, Hertz - Preidents Circle, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hello fellow OW flyers ...... Does anyone have any ideas how I can get 7,600 miles from Philadelphia in the next 3 days? I can leave on 12/29. I am just short of EX Plat. LA would be a great option .....I would probably need a cheap First Class seat to make that happen. My budget is $700. I am well over by required $ spend for the year

Thanks!!!!

Bob
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by travelingbob
Hello fellow OW flyers ...... Does anyone have any ideas how I can get 7,600 miles from Philadelphia in the next 3 days? I can leave on 12/29. I am just short of EX Plat. LA would be a great option .....I would probably need a cheap First Class seat to make that happen. My budget is $700. I am well over by required $ spend for the year

Thanks!!!!

Bob
At this late date, I'm afraid there is no such thing as a cheap F seat. Even economy to the west cost is in the $600+ range, with J seats well over $1000. If you can up your budget, this is the best I could find that would meet the EQM need:
PHL-LAX r/t :: $1159 AA in Bus :: 9600+ EQM :: Dec 30-31 (red eye)
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by thndrmatt
12/28
0630a-BWI-PHL-MYR-CLT-BWI-PHL-CLT-MCO-1216a
12/29
0630a-MCO-MIA-BWI-1101a
$478
Update from BWI the second time, smooth sailing so far other than having to hand print boarding passes for the flights beyond the first return to BWI probably a known requirement when going through an airport more than once. Even gave up multiple first class seats on these short flights to ladies with babies, having myself a glorious travel day. No issues apparent with remainder tonight this far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.