Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:17 am

My original post:
Last week I did a BOS-DFW-ICN-DFW-BOS flight to meet EXP for the year. First time I've done a mileage run. I booked PE because I needed the 1.5 EQM multiplier. I had a couple of SWUs left so I used them on the trip. The tickets were definitely PE but when the miles posted, the DFW-ICN-DFW legs did not post at the 1.5 EQM multiplier. Did the use of SWUs change things somehow? I'm waiting on a call back from the AA rep. Did I miss something that is going to cost me? Thanks!

From flyingeph12:
The BOS-DFW-BOS portion of your ticket was most likely booked in economy and will credit accordingly. You should get 1.5x EQM for the DFW-ICN-DFW portion, however.

Here is the latest:
I ended up talking to the Exec Plat liaison desk multiple times yesterday. Turns out when they processed the SWU, they reverted the fare code to basic economy and then processed the upgrade. He said it had to do with how the fare was originally sold even though it would not have been visible to me. Instead of purchasing a PE fare, I ended up with a economy fare that had some kind of buy-up to PE. He resolved the issue and I'm now prequalified for next year. Something to be on the lookout for - make sure your EQM multiplier is applied if you use a SWU. Thanks!

Last edited by wademiller; Dec 12, 2017 at 6:27 am
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: AA: Plat Pro; UA: Gold
Run for Exec Platinum - possible in 1 day?

Hi all - travel schedule has moved around a bit, but now have a need for a 1 day run that would meet the following:

Departure Airport(s): LAX, LGB, SNA, BUR
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 5771
EQDs Needed: Already met
Max Budget: low as possible, but could go high if needed
Available Travel Dates: Dec 17th or Dec 23rd (strong preference for Dec 17th)
Max # Travel Nights: zero - need to do in 1 day if possible
AA only, or Partners Okay:OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):Y

I have a trip to NRT happening late in the year, but was only able to get one-way LAX-DFW-NRT in 2017 (the return will be in 2018). Possible to make this work? Many thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by KmKx151
I have a Platinum challenge that ends Jan 11th. I'd like to shoot for EXP in 2018 so I want to be as efficient as possible with EQDs

Departure Airport: PHX

Destinations: Wherever but BKK would be great

EQMs Needed: 12,500

EQDs Needed: $2,000

Required Spend or Budget: $2500

Available Travel Dates: Jan 1-11th

Required Metal for challenge AA, BA, JL, QF, AY, IB
A couple of options for you:
PHX-SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX-PHX :: $2371 AA/CX in Y,P,J :: 25000+ EQM, 3300+ EQD (best guess) :: Jan 9-11 :: *** very short turn in BKK ***
PHX-JFK-ORY r/t :: $1812 BA in PE :: 13000+ EQM, 2600+ EQD :: Jan 5-7
KmKx151 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA
Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 5,850 EQM's
EQDs Needed: $290
Max Budget: <$500 (Cost of Buying Gold outright)
Available Travel Dates: DEC 22-24 or 29-31
Max Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: OKAY
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by thedavidbase
Hi all - travel schedule has moved around a bit, but now have a need for a 1 day run that would meet the following:

Departure Airport(s): LAX, LGB, SNA, BUR
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 5771
EQDs Needed: Already met
Max Budget: low as possible, but could go high if needed
Available Travel Dates: Dec 17th or Dec 23rd (strong preference for Dec 17th)
Max # Travel Nights: zero - need to do in 1 day if possible
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):Y

I have a trip to NRT happening late in the year, but was only able to get one-way LAX-DFW-NRT in 2017 (the return will be in 2018). Possible to make this work? Many thanks!
LAX-SAN-DFW-IAH-LAX :: $814 AA in Bus :: 5800+ EQM :: Dec 17 (Note very short layover in DFW)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by jjacobi
Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 5,850 EQM's
EQDs Needed: $290
Max Budget: <$500 (Cost of Buying Gold outright)
Available Travel Dates: DEC 22-24 or 29-31
AA only, or Partners Okay: OKAY
Given your dates, the Gold buy is your best bet IMO.
jjacobi likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:14 am

Last minute biz trip cancelled and find myself short of EXP with limited travel days

Departure Airport(s): LAX, LGB, SNA, BUR, maybe SFO/SJC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,923
EQDs Needed: $1100
Max Budget: Trying to keep under $1300
Available Travel Dates: Dec 15-16th or Eve of Dec 17 - 20(strong preference for Dec 17th)
Max # Travel Nights: 1/overnight but based on my limited options I could do longer
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N
Thank you very much, I appreciate your time

Last edited by chapulin; Dec 12, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by chapulin
Last minute biz trip cancelled and find myself short of EXP with limited travel days

Departure Airport(s): LAX, LGB, SNA, BUR, maybe SFO/SJC
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,923
EQDs Needed: $1100
Max Budget: Trying to keep under $1300
Available Travel Dates: Dec 15-16th or Eve of Dec 17 - 20(strong preference for Dec 17th)
Max # Travel Nights: 1 - need to do in 1 day if possible
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):N
Thank you very much, I appreciate your time
Just to clarify... you want to do in 1 day if possible. Does that mean that you want at most 1 overnight, or that you want travel to be completed within 1 calendar day?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo
Just to clarify... you want to do in 1 day if possible. Does that mean that you want at most 1 overnight, or that you want travel to be completed within 1 calendar day?
Up to 1 overnight, but based on my limited options could stretch to 2.
Thank you
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by chapulin
Up to 1 overnight, but based on my limited options could stretch to 2.
Thank you
There are likely others, but this closely matches your preferred criteria:
LAX-CLT-PVD r/t :: $1304 AA in Bus :: 11100+ EQM, 1170+ EQD :: Dec 17-18
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
A couple of options for you:
:PHX-SFO-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX-PHX: $2371 AA/CX in Y,P,J :: 25000+ EQM, 3300+ EQD (best guess) :: Jan 9-11 :: *** very short turn in BKK ***
PHX-JFJ-ORY r/t :: $1812 BA in PE :: 13000+ EQM, 2600+ EQD :: Jan 5-7
Thank you! How do you get Google flights to show mixed cabins like that? Specifically, how can you get it to show you the J and P mixed in?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by KmKx151
Thank you! How do you get Google flights to show mixed cabins like that? Specifically, how can you get it to show you the J and P mixed in?
it's just the way it worked out for that itinerary. I requested PE, but it wasn't available for all segments. So GF substituted what was available, and it happened to include J. (Including Y is not uncommon)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Departure Airport(s): PHL (EWR and ABE as last resort)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10,500 / 5,500 / 500
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: $900
Available Travel Dates: DEC 18-19 or 27-30
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners okay
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N

Currently Gold and need 10,500 for Platinum. AA quoted me $1299 to buy up. I figure there are a couple options:

1) Get all 10,500 miles for $900 or less (The $399 difference is what I figure for wasting a day in the air). Obviously I think to do this in a day would mean a first class fare and not sure how feasible that is for less than $900

2) Get ~5,500 EQMs so I have less than 5,000 EQMs needed for Platinum, then get a new offer from AA. The key here would be to get good value for price in the flight because the cost of the flight and new buy-up offer would have to be less than the $1299

3) Same as above, but find me the quickest/cheapest flight back and forth in as little time as possible to get >500EQMs so I have less than 10,000 needed for Platinum, then get a new offer.

Not looking to do an overnight (i.e., hotel stay), but would do a redeye return flight if needed.

Thanks!

Last edited by PHLFlyer00; Dec 12, 2017 at 7:09 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:25 pm

Need 8 segments to get EP

Departure Airport: CLT
Segments Needed: 8
Required Spend or Budget: As inexpensive as possible
Available Travel Dates: Tight: 12/18 - 12/22 (not 12/21), prefer day trip or awesome location for 2 days can do 12/27 - 12/30 also

huge thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Last edited by cagrhe5; Dec 12, 2017 at 9:07 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA
Busy after dec 21, unfortunately!

MIA-HEL-ICN r/t :: $4077 AY in Bus :: ~28600 EQM :: Dec 28-30 :: under 48 hours, all lie-flat
I have this wednesday or thursday as a last resort. Athens option seem very realistic! Un less you can suggest something less long in time since they dont allow same day return.
Thanks
JJBaawings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.