Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: aadvantage, alaska
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
You could do LAX-SLC-MIA-UIO-MIA-LAX with a quick few hours in Quito for $715 in economy. You could also stay longer for anywhere between $722 and $850.

This should get you 8,592 EQMs and about 570 EDQs.
Thank you, this looks good! I'll post a new request if this one doesn't work out (I may be denied vacation request).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: OneWorld
i just looked and it seems its not available anymore. Also do you require a Visa in LHR ? i am not an american citizen
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by aparra86
i just looked and it seems its not available anymore. Also do you require a Visa in LHR ? i am not an american citizen
If you play around with the dates a little bit, you can still find something for around $600. For example, MIA-CDG//ORY-MAD-JFK-MIA on 12/15–12/17 is $595. No overnight required on the return and just 1 night in MAD, but requires a relatively short (perhaps risky) 3hr 15min ground transfer in Paris.

We don't know your citizenship so no idea if you will need a visa to enter Europe/UK. You can figure that out easily yourself.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TCPtravels
Departure Airport(s): BOS, JFK
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM 24,000
EQDs Needed: No
Max Budget: $1800
Available Travel Dates: 12/27-12/31
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y

Probably impossible at this point - but seeing if folks have ideas.
nothing is impossible laddy!
Is it exactly 18k? If not, tt's actually not too tough. Even if it is, you're 300 EQMs short which is a JFK-BOS run.
bos-dfw-hkg-pvg-ord-bos should be 17,608 for $1,246 (no AA credit on CX L seat) - dates are 12/27-12/29 - home in plenty of time to watch the ball drop.. It's in economy but it will get you there with signifcantly less spend. If you have any spare SWUs, maybe you'll get lucky and clear making this an all-around win.

https://goo.gl/KTgwyQ
Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: aadvantage, alaska
Trying a new option:

Departure Airport(s): LAX, SNA, LGB
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM 9000 (maybe a little less depending on how quickly I get my Alaska flight credited)
EQDs Needed: $450
Max Budget: $1200 (based on how much AA is charging to keep my Platinum status for another year, but I can be a bit flexible if I do turn one of the trips into an actual vacation)
Available Travel Dates: 12/22-28 and 12/30-31 (and I can come back as late as 1/2 as long as the 2017 leg is enough to cover EQM), multiple trips OK
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK as long as EQM applies
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
American citizen, currently AA Platinum and Alaska Gold

Basically, I need EQMs and also don't have xmas and new years plans, so flying around seems like a great time to spend it I'm considering an LAX-QRO option for the xmas dates that will give me 4200 EQMs, so maybe a similar long flight during new year's eve would be cool?
How does it work with flights that extend into the new year? Would the EQMs and EQDs count towards 2018 if the flight happened on 1/1 regardless of when I purchase it?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by egerandi
Trying a new option:

Departure Airport(s): LAX, SNA, LGB
EQMs or EQSs Needed: EQM 9000 (maybe a little less depending on how quickly I get my Alaska flight credited)
EQDs Needed: $450
Max Budget: $1200 (based on how much AA is charging to keep my Platinum status for another year, but I can be a bit flexible if I do turn one of the trips into an actual vacation)
Available Travel Dates: 12/22-28 and 12/30-31 (and I can come back as late as 1/2 as long as the 2017 leg is enough to cover EQM), multiple trips OK
AA only, or Partners Okay: Partners OK as long as EQM applies
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
American citizen, currently AA Platinum and Alaska Gold

Basically, I need EQMs and also don't have xmas and new years plans, so flying around seems like a great time to spend it I'm considering an LAX-QRO option for the xmas dates that will give me 4200 EQMs, so maybe a similar long flight during new year's eve would be cool?
How does it work with flights that extend into the new year? Would the EQMs and EQDs count towards 2018 if the flight happened on 1/1 regardless of when I purchase it?
Here's a couple of options:
LAX-LHR-DEN-LAX :: $785 AA in Econ :: ~10900 EQM ~550 EQD :: Dec 29-31
LAX-IAH-ORD r/t :: $871 AA in Bus :: ~9200 EQM ~767 EQD :: Dec 25-26

Flights are credited based on the dates flown, not booked.
egerandi likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Seeking Executive Platinum

Departure Airport(s): MiA or FLL
EQMs or EQSs Needed:28,000
EQDs Needed: $500
Max Budget:$2000
Available Travel Dates: Dec 16-17 or Dec 22-23
Max # Travel Nights:1
AA only, or Partners Okay:OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):Y

Dear Forum members, I need 3,000 EQMs to reach Platinum Pro and I plan to take a short trip to Las Vegas to make it. However, I'd like to know if there is any way to reach Executive Platinum. I have $11,500 EQDs so far. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by MARLP
Departure Airport(s): MiA or FLL
EQMs or EQSs Needed:28,000
EQDs Needed: $500
Max Budget:$2000
Available Travel Dates: Dec 16-17 or Dec 22-23
Max # Travel Nights:1
AA only, or Partners Okay:OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):Y

Dear Forum members, I need 3,000 EQMs to reach Platinum Pro and I plan to take a short trip to Las Vegas to make it. However, I'd like to know if there is any way to reach Executive Platinum. I have $11,500 EQDs so far. Thanks for all your suggestions.
You can do a 28K run in 2 days in Dec, but not for $2000. Or you can do a 28K run for low $2000s, but not in 2 days in Dec.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by pgrennan
I’ve got spend way covered to re qualify EXP but will be about 10-11k short on EQM once my Citi 10K EQMs post.

Live in CLT
$3500 re-up offer from AA. Gah!

Departure Airport(s): CLT
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 10-11K
EQDs Needed: zero
Max Budget: value, depends
Available Travel Dates: 12/19-20
Max # Travel Nights: 1
AA only, or Partners Okay: prefer AA but partners OK
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): no
CLT-MIA-LAS r/t :: $1231 AA in Bus :: 11200+ EQM :: Dec 19-20
CLT-PHX-PDX r/t :: $1239 AA in Bus :: 11100+ EQM :: Dec 19-20
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo
Paul, I'm afraid I've got nuthin' that will fit within your dates and budget. I even tried to cram two MRs in Bus during the weekend, but it would be both brutal and more than $3000. If you could come up with more dates and/or more money, that would help. One of the others might have more luck, however.
Thanks for looking! Yea unfortunately I have super restricted dates, should have planned it all out better earlier in the year! I will do my best not to be posting on here the same time next year haha
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:26 am

Departure Airport(s): IND and ORD, and others like CVG/DAY etc.
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 0
EQDs Needed: $159
Max Budget: as little as possible.
Available Travel Dates: DEC 15-17
Max Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: only these partners ( American Airlines, American Eagle®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines)
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
I have a Platinum challenge that ends Jan 11th. I'd like to shoot for EXP in 2018 so I want to be as efficient as possible with EQDs

Departure Airport: PHX

Destinations: Wherever but BKK would be great

EQMs Needed: 12,500

EQDs Needed: $2,000

Required Spend or Budget: $2500

Available Travel Dates: Jan 1-11th

Required Metal for challenge AA, BA, JL, QF, AY, IB
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:55 am

Last week I did a BOS-DFW-ICN-DFW-BOS flight to meet EXP for the year. First time I've done a mileage run. I booked PE because I needed the 1.5 EQM multiplier. I had a couple of SWUs left so I used them on the trip. The tickets were definitely PE but when the miles posted, the DFW-ICN-DFW legs did not post at the 1.5 EQM multiplier. Did the use of SWUs change things somehow? I'm waiting on a call back from the AA rep. Did I miss something that is going to cost me? Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:04 am

Departure Airport(s): IND
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 6000
EQDs Needed: NA
Max Budget: $500
Available Travel Dates: Dec 17-22
Max Travel Nights: 2
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:20 am

Hi guys/and gals - new lurker here for the past few months and have saw some pretty awesome runs. I'm trying to make EXP for the first time this year. I know there's a DFW to JKT but that's being in the air a looong time. I was hoping to maybe do a lot of 4/5 hour hops on business throughout the country? Tried looking at DFW-->NYC-->SEATTLE-->NYC--->DFW or some others but still coming up short? Thanks a lot if anyone can help. If not I understand =D.

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 15K EQM
EQDS Needed: N/A
Budget: $2000 preferably - can do a few hundred more
Available Travel Dates: December 29-31 (I know... pushing it =/).
Required Metal or Codeshares okay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.