Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: AA
Bringing it down to the wire

Departure Airport(s): NYC - JFK, LGA, EWR
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: 800 USD
Available Travel Dates: Dec 6 - Dec 31
Max Travel Nights: 9
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA only

This is my first post, so if I haven't given enough info, apologies. I currently have Platinum
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I know that this is horribly last minute, but I thought I would give it a shot. First time poster, glad to be here..Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Departure Airport(s): DFW (AUS is also possible)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 19,000 EQMs needed
EQDs Needed: $2100
Max Budget: $2500
Available Travel Dates: Dec 8-11, Dec 15-18, Dec 22-27, Dec 30-31
Max Travel Nights: Any
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer AA
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): N
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by oliviaso
Departure Airport(s): NYC - JFK, LGA, EWR
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed: None
Max Budget: 800 USD
Available Travel Dates: Dec 6 - Dec 31
Max Travel Nights: 9
AA only, or Partners Okay: AA only

This is my first post, so if I haven't given enough info, apologies. I currently have Platinum
Welcome to FT! I'm afraid your $800 max budget is not realistic for that many EQMs at year end. That many EQMs will likely mean a run to Asia, and PE on AA or partners in the $2000+ range to meet that need. Even Economy (which would require multiple trips) is well over $1000 to Asia in December, and it only gets worse the later in the month you fly.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Ziegy4me
I know that this is horribly last minute, but I thought I would give it a shot. First time poster, glad to be here..Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Departure Airport(s): DFW (AUS is also possible)
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 19,000 EQMs needed
EQDs Needed: $2100
Max Budget: $2500
Available Travel Dates: Dec 8-11, Dec 15-18, Dec 22-27, Dec 30-31
Max Travel Nights: Any
AA only, or Partners Okay: Prefer AA
AUS-LAX-NRT-DFW-AUS :: $2288 AA in PE :: 19556 EQM, 2189 EQD :: Dec 23-25 *** just a couple of tickets avail ***
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:57 pm

Departure Airport(s): LAX
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 7400 EQM
EQDs Needed: $0
Max Budget: $1000
Available Travel Dates: 15-22 DEC
Max Travel Nights: No real cap, but shorter preferred
AA only, or Partners Okay: Any

I'm at Gold trying to make the Platinum jump by EoY. Got plenty of spend, just need the miles. Worst case, I just pay them for the bump.

Last edited by chlorofiend; Dec 5, 2017 at 4:19 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by chlorofiend
Max Travel Nights: N/A
Please clarify what you mean here with "N/A"
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by melrowgo
Edit in my OP; basically I don't have a cap as long as the travel all goes within that date, but shorter is preferred so I'm not blowing a ton on hotels or sleeping in airports.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would do two trips on 12/9 and 12/10.

12/9: JFK-CLT-MCO-MIA-JFK $257
12/10: JFK-LAX-SJC-LAX-JFK $349

I think the SJC fare is probably not going to stick around for very long. That will get you close to 6,000 EQMs; you might be able to come up with something better for the additional 2,200 EQMs or so that you would still need after that one.
Thank you but I don't get those prices at all.
Which tool are you using to build a MR?

Thank you
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Greetings all, what a great resource!

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 19150 EQM
Max Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: DEC 20-24 or 26-29
Max Travel Nights: As short as possible
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Cizake
Thank you but I don't get those prices at all.
Which tool are you using to build a MR?

Thank you
Yes, unfortunately, those fares are no longer available. If you can do midweek, you can do JFK-LAX-SFO-LAX-JFK on 12/13 for $298. Again, this is probably not going to last very long.

I am partly based in NYC and know from experience the routes that tend to yield great cpm. So I just go into GF and fiddle around a bit with different dates and see what pops up.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by chlorofiend
Edit in my OP; basically I don't have a cap as long as the travel all goes within that date, but shorter is preferred so I'm not blowing a ton on hotels or sleeping in airports.
Understandable. A quick search found this same-day run: LAX-PHX-ORD r/t:: $791 AA in Bus :: 7760 EQM :: Dec 19
*** prices are fluctuating wildly, so grab your ticket asap **
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by melrowgo
Those of us who fill forms often will recognize this as abbreviation for "Not Applicable".
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Those of us who fill forms often will recognize this as abbreviation for "Not Applicable".
Yep, that I knew. It just didn't make sense in this context. This "form" expects a number.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by VEVANS
Greetings all, what a great resource!

Departure Airport(s): DFW
EQMs or EQSs Needed: 19150 EQM
Max Budget: $1500
Available Travel Dates: DEC 20-24 or 26-29
Max Travel Nights: As short as possible
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): Y
Given the EQMs and it being EOY, a $1500 buy is not realistic. Even a grueling Econ flight to CGK across 3 full days is going to cost you more than that (if you choose realistic international layovers). If you can stretch to, say, $2300+ you could meet your need in a moderately non-brutal way. Doing several day runs in Business might cut the cost a bit.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Can I ask how the EQMs are being calculated? If I do a search by schedule on AA.com, the miles shown aren't exactly what the EQMs end up being. And I don't know of any way for aa.com to tell me what my EQMs will be unless I go through the steps of booking and get right up to the payment page, where it is shown for the one and only time. Problem with that is that a PNR is created at that stage and we all know what happens when you get that far in the booking process and don't complete the purchase too many times (Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking for upgrade space). Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.