Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Do Alaska flights operated by Skywest Airlines as Alaskaskywest qualify for EQDs and EQMs?

AS3xxx flight numbers.
No idea. The language here seems to indicate it wouldn't count. I wouldn't risk it.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood LP, Marriott P, Hilton Diamond
Don’t want to lose SWUs

Departure Airport: was
Miles Needed: 1k
Required Spend or Budget: $2400 eqd for as little as possible
Available Travel Dates: flexible, thanksgiving day
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: one world

Also, I have a trip planned 12/17 iad-lhr-jnb 12/27 cpt-lhr-was in PE on BA. I Would like to squeeze in a few legs coming from cpt but will travel other days if necessary.

btw, I’m including the 28k elms and $3600 eqds as part of what I “have.” I’ll still be short the above after I take this trip, so please help.😩
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ChicGeekUno
Departure Airport: was
Miles Needed: 1k
Required Spend or Budget: $2400 eqd for as little as possible
Available Travel Dates: flexible, thanksgiving day
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: one world

Also, I have a trip planned 12/17 iad-lhr-jnb 12/27 cpt-lhr-was in PE on BA. I Would like to squeeze in a few legs coming from cpt but will travel other days if necessary.

btw, I’m including the 28k elms and $3600 eqds as part of what I “have.” I’ll still be short the above after I take this trip, so please help.😩
Easy.

JNB-HKG (rt) on CX in PE for $1,252 | 19,800 EQM | 2,600 EQD

JNB-HKG-SYD is also available on CX in PE for only $300 more...
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
If you only needed EQMs, then there would be a lot more options. But since you need 2,300 EQD, your choices are a lot more constrained. You have two options open to you: 1. Spend $2,400-$2,500 on AA fares; or 2. Buy partner premium cabin fares that earn EQDs based on distance (cheap partner econ fares don't earn enough to make it feasible).

At this point, partner fares will cost around $2k, but you'll be able to visit somewhere a bit farther away and more interesting than somewhere in the US. Personally, I'd much rather do a couple very long flights than zig-zag across the US. Doing a number of shorter flights would work, but you'd end up paying a whole lot more taxes and fees. That may defeat the purpose somewhat. It's also a lot more expensive on a per mile basis, if that matters.

That said, AS may be a good option for you. You'll still need to buy a second ticket for SEA-LAX (and back), but this AS ticket should earn you almost all that you need. AS does not fly to LAX, so you'd have to get yourself to LAX on separate tickets.

JFK-SEA-ANC//ANC-SEA//SEA-JFK on AS in J for $1,689 | 11,574 EQM | 2,315 EQD

Note: Other routings are available at higher cost, but DO NOT take anything that routes you through DAL. You will not earn anything when flying to/from DAL on AS. Also, flying on VX will not earn anything either. Be sure it all books into First class. Getting the SEA-ANC leg into first on that date is tricky.

Note about AA special fares: AA special fares (e.g. AAVacations tix) are a potential option, but I didn't mention it because the sweet spot is cheap Y fares. However, these cheap Y fares typically only earn EQDs at a rate of 10%. So, you'd need to travel 23,000 actual miles on AA in Y to earn the EQDs you need. AA has a few routings that are nearly long enough, but none of these long routes will actually code as special fares when purchased from AAVacations. You can get a special fare to PEK, but that would only earn you 1,700 EQD tops. Besides, AA does have any cheap rates to PEK in December.
swingaling,

I booked the AS flights (on the phone) and had an economy round trip added in, with the whole trip pricing out at $1,843.

This morning I found out that AA will let me extend my Platinum for another year for $1,299.

Thanks for all your help!!
swingaling likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage
AA/Oneworld Mileage Run Suggestion Needed

Need 18K EQM on AA to get me to ExPlat

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 13K
Required Spend or Budget: little as possible. Met EQD
Available Travel Dates: Any time after Thanksgiving
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: as long as gets me EQM.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by rboggus; Nov 3, 2017 at 6:55 am Reason: update
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Departure Airports: LAX or JFK/LGA
Miles needed: 20,000
EQD needed: 2700
Available travel dates: 2nd week of November from NYC (or a 5 day trip for thanksgiving) or Christmas from LAX (which i'd like to spill over into new years to get a head start on next year), but will do a week trip if i can't get the EQM from November trip.

I was thinking a possible MR to europe in Prem Econ mid-november for around $1000, giving me around 1500 eqm and then south america and an international trip in december.

I'd like to keep this as cheap as possible, will be using some Chase UR to subsidize at least one of the flights (I have 500k). For Christmas, I was also thinking of going to SE Asia, and then returning in early 2018 in prem econ from auckland to NYC since one ways tend to be cheap from there.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 1:38 pm

I've searched previous posts but can't seem to find what I'm needing, so sorry if I'm repeating but here goes...

Just a few EQM's short of Pro but would rather re-up to Exec (didn't travel as much this year). Am I asking for too much? Thank you so much for responses!!

Miles Needed: 39,000 EQM
EQD Needed: $3000
Available Dates: 12/1 - 12/11, 12/26-12/30
Trying to keep cost under $2000.00

I can go anywhere that doesn't require a visa!
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
39k EQM and 3k EQD for under $2k? That's a tall order. DFW-NRT-MEL-NRT-DFW on JAL premium economy will get you close, but runs $2700. PE on BA DFW-LHR-JNB-LHR-DFW is $300 cheaper, but fewer miles.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood LP, Marriott P, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by swingaling
Easy.

(rt) on CX in PE for $1,252 19,800 EQM 2,600 EQD

JNB-HKG-SYD is also available on CX in PE for only $300 more...

Thats awesome! Thank you!

As as it turns out, I’m actually only $1087 eqds and about 1973 miles short. These are conservative estimates so not sure how I miscalc’d so bad.

Anything for $600 or less coming from WAS?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by terisak72
I've searched previous posts but can't seem to find what I'm needing, so sorry if I'm repeating but here goes...

Just a few EQM's short of Pro but would rather re-up to Exec (didn't travel as much this year). Am I asking for too much? Thank you so much for responses!!

Miles Needed: 39,000 EQM
EQD Needed: $3000
Available Dates: 12/1 - 12/11, 12/26-12/30
Trying to keep cost under $2000.00

I can go anywhere that doesn't require a visa!
Get yourself to LAX and this will do it for you.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...c=p;a=ONEWORLD
Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by zebes
39k EQM and 3k EQD for under $2k? That's a tall order. DFW-NRT-MEL-NRT-DFW on JAL premium economy will get you close, but runs $2700. PE on BA DFW-LHR-JNB-LHR-DFW is $300 cheaper, but fewer miles.
Yes, I was afraid it was too much to ask! Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into doing a couple trips then.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by zebes
Thanks so much! Where did you find the BA airfare? I'm only seeing $4k as cheapest.
kessy628 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by terisak72
Am I asking for too much?
Yes you are, especially for a hub captive. Reposition to BOS for this one.

BOS-HKG-MLE (rt) on CX in PE for $1,970 | 32,800 EQM | 4,200 EQD

Originally Posted by ChicGeekUno
Anything for $600 or less coming from WAS?
Unlikely. Try cheap Y fares on AAVacations. Europe is not far enough away. Try PEK.

Last edited by swingaling; Nov 2, 2017 at 5:54 pm
Old Nov 2, 2017, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
Departure Airports: LAX or JFK/LGA
Miles needed: 20,000
EQD needed: 2700
Available travel dates: 2nd week of November from NYC (or a 5 day trip for thanksgiving) or Christmas from LAX (which i'd like to spill over into new years to get a head start on next year), but will do a week trip if i can't get the EQM from November trip.
JFK-NRT-CGK (rt) on JL in PE for $2,001 | 31,000 EQM | 4,000 EQD

JFK-LHR-DOH (rt) on BA in PE for $1,635 | 20,000 EQM | 2,684 EQD (give or take)
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:56 pm

[QUOTE=swingaling;29011241]Yes you are, especially for a hub captive. Reposition to BOS for this one.

Thank you, Swingaling! Appreciate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.