Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2017, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
19,600+ miles from MIA-LAX-SYD and back in Qantas PE for $3,750, more or less. (Spend some time there if you can.) Then a quick transcon round trip via ORD for the rest, to whatever West Coast destination is cheapest.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by swingaling

This is not correct. You cannot fly JFK-LAX on CX. You can fly JFK-YVR-HKG-AKL, but if you don't stopover in YVR, you do not earn anything extra from the stop in YVR (due to the fact that the flight number is the same).

I stand corrected. I was just looking at the mileage figures, not actual flight availability. What did you mean by "if you don't stopover in YVR, you do not earn anything extra from the stop in YVR (due to the fact that the flight number is the same"? What extra would you earn, except the additional mileage, or do you mean that it would just be treated as a direct flight, unless you did an overnight in YVR, in which case you would get the extra miles for both segments?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
What did you mean by "if you don't stopover in YVR, you do not earn anything extra from the stop in YVR (due to the fact that the flight number is the same"? What extra would you earn, except the additional mileage, or do you mean that it would just be treated as a direct flight, unless you did an overnight in YVR, in which case you would get the extra miles for both segments?
CX operates JFK-YVR-HKG as CX889 with a 90min stop in YVR. If you book this, you earn miles based on the distance between JFK-HKG. If you stopover in YVR, then continue to HKG on a separate flight, you'd earn based on JFK-YVR + YVR-HKG.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, SPG/RC Platinum
Keeping ExPlat and 2 more SWU's.

Hello,

Lost track of EQD's and I am off by $2,900-$1,900 to keep ExPlat. (I have a short trip planed in December that I can pick up $1k EQD’s if I overpay in P for it) While I'm at it, it would be nice to pick up another 40k EQM's to reach 150k so I can get another 2 SWU's. That being said, I’m looking for the quickest, cheapest way to get the 40k EQM’s. One or two short trips preferred. I do have a Chinese Visa. Quick question - will the 2 new SWU's expire in January 2018?

TIA
Nix

Departure Airport:LAX, LGB, ONT, BUR,DFW,ORD
Miles Needed:40,000
EQD'S NEEDED: $2,000
Required Spend or Budget: Minimum as possible
Available Travel Dates: Shortest trip possible. CANNOT travel Nov 10-23 or Dec 1-3
Required Metal or Codeshares: Whatever needed
Old Oct 26, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NixRox
Hello,

Lost track of EQD's and I am off by $2,900-$1,900 to keep ExPlat. (I have a short trip planed in December that I can pick up $1k EQD’s if I overpay in P for it) While I'm at it, it would be nice to pick up another 40k EQM's to reach 150k so I can get another 2 SWU's. That being said, I’m looking for the quickest, cheapest way to get the 40k EQM’s. One or two short trips preferred. I do have a Chinese Visa. Quick question - will the 2 new SWU's expire in January 2018?

TIA
Nix

Departure Airport:LAX, LGB, ONT, BUR,DFW,ORD
Miles Needed:40,000
EQD'S NEEDED: $2,000
Available Travel Dates: Shortest trip possible. CANNOT travel Nov 10-23 or Dec 1-3
Required Metal or Codeshares: Whatever needed
LAX-HKG-AKL on CX in PE for $2,531 | 38,800 EQM | 5,100 EQD

Immediate turn in AKL with 2-3hr stops in HKG. Quick as it gets for this kind of mileage.
NixRox likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
Need 11K EQM

Hi folks,

Got my EQDs for the year for EXP but am going to be about 11K short on EQMs.
Nearest Airport - IAD/DCA, even BWI.

Can't travel much between Thanksgiving and NY.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Karan97
Hi folks,

Got my EQDs for the year for EXP but am going to be about 11K short on EQMs.
Nearest Airport - IAD/DCA, even BWI.

Can't travel much between Thanksgiving and NY.
Make that 3,500 short. Just booked DCA-PHL-DUB & back for $645 which should net me about 7,500 EQMs.

Any ideas for a dirt cheap way to get 3,500 EQMs?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Karan97
Make that 3,500 short. Just booked DCA-PHL-DUB & back for $645 which should net me about 7,500 EQMs.

Any ideas for a dirt cheap way to get 3,500 EQMs?
Were you factoring in your status bonus for EQMs in your computation, as it seems that you should end up with more than 7,500, also taking into account the minimum 500 mile credit for DCA-PHL?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by JJBAAWINGS
Hello Everybody!!
I have 3,700 EQDS of 9000
41,206 EQM's of 75,000
Trying to keep my Plat Pro or even reach EXPLAT

Departure Airport:Miami, FLL
Miles Needed:33,794 or 58794
Available Travel Dates: Outgoing Thu or Fri,
Required Metal or Codeshares okay

Basically to go to EXPLAT i could spend the rest of the EQDS required, $5300 for PLTPRO, or 8300 for EXPLAT. Turn around next day or same day not an issue.
Thanks amigos
This trip was suggested to me, also ex-MIA, a few pages back.

MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG on BA in PE for $1,800-$2,200 | 4,000 EQD and roughly 30,000 EQM, which will substantially plug your gaps. I may do this, as well as JFK-HKG-AKL on CX in PE, around $2,700, 5,400 EQD and 41,000 EQM.

Both give you a 2:1 $/EQD multiplier, so you could spend around $4,500 and cover the $8,000 you are short for EXP, and you would have the EQMs you need for EXP as well.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA
This trip was suggested to me, also ex-MIA, a few pages back.

MIA-LHR-JNB/HKG on BA in PE for $1,800-$2,200 | 4,000 EQD and roughly 30,000 EQM, which will substantially plug your gaps. I may do this, as well as JFK-HKG-AKL on CX in PE, around $2,700, 5,400 EQD and 41,000 EQM.

Both give you a 2:1 $/EQD multiplier, so you could spend around $4,500 and cover the $8,000 you are short for EXP, and you would have the EQMs you need for EXP as well.
Thanks amigo and thanks for the suggestion, I can probably do these flights this year!
How do i go about booking this multicity, tried on AA and couldnt get it. BA is british airways, PE? is?
I am just too new here, thanks for your help!!!
Old Oct 27, 2017, 8:52 pm

Thanks amigo and thanks for the suggestion, I can probably do these flights this year!
How do i go about booking this multicity, tried on AA and couldnt get it. BA is british airways, PE? is?
I am just too new here, thanks for your help!!!

You need to book the flight on BA's website, both to get the fare, and to ensure that it will be on BA flight numbers. You need to learn how EQDs, EQMs and RDMs are computed on partner airlines, as well as other situations, as they frequently give you an opportunity to earn EQDs in a greater amount, based upon a %age of distance flown, as opposed to a fraction of the ticket cost in dollars. PE is premium economy. For your reference, under "Help" on the top blue bar on the page, is a pull-down menu with a Glossary, which contains most of the initialisms that you see used here.

To earn maximum EQDs, you want to fly PE, on high-earning partners, CX Cathay, BA British Airways, IB Iberia, AY Finnair, both because you might survive the flight as opposed to basic coach, and you earn a significantly higher amount of EQDs per actual dollar spent than any other fare class.

Welcome, and hope this helps.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
any AA deals out of DFW, need 24K miles as Plat Pro

Looking for flights by EOY
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I think you're in the wrong forum.

Welcome to the Mileage Run Forum - Important information how the MR forums work
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA
Any conversion page?

You need to book the flight on BA's website, both to get the fare, and to ensure that it will be on BA flight numbers. You need to learn how EQDs, EQMs and RDMs are computed on partner airlines, as well as other situations, as they frequently give you an opportunity to earn EQDs in a greater amount, based upon a %age of distance flown, as opposed to a fraction of the ticket cost in dollars. PE is premium economy. For your reference, under "Help" on the top blue bar on the page, is a pull-down menu with a Glossary, which contains most of the initialisms that you see used here.

To earn maximum EQDs, you want to fly PE, on high-earning partners, CX Cathay, BA British Airways, IB Iberia, AY Finnair, both because you might survive the flight as opposed to basic coach, and you earn a significantly higher amount of EQDs per actual dollar spent than any other fare class.

Welcome, and hope this helps.
Thanks Flyerhandle, where do I get the conversion page on what number of EQD EMS and RDM's i can get by flying on the other airlines my friend?
Thank you
Old Oct 27, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
Thanks Flyerhandle, where do I get the conversion page on what number of EQD EMS and RDM's i can get by flying on the other airlines my friend?
Thank you
Google for "AAdvantage (partner airline name)":

BA is the first result:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

You can find all the charts on aa.com.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.