Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by choklit
I'm looking at this and it seems like a good deal, but when I look at AAVactions, the flights are coming up L*/Q* fares. Am I doing something wrong? If not, I'll definitely book this!
No that's correct. V* was a typo. It was Q*/L*.
choklit likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:45 am

Departure Airport: PHL, EWR
Miles Needed: 12,000 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: Cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: Any time before the end of the year

Thank you!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP [121 segments in 2021] - IHG Spire [170 nights in 2021]
Hello! I have signed up for a Platinum challenge that ends Jan 10th but would like to have it completed by end of year.

Departure Airport: Live in PHX but can depart from LAX, LAS, SFO, SEA

Destinations: BKK and SJO

EQMs Needed: 12,500

EQDs Needed: $2,000

Required Spend or Budget: I don't have an unrealistically low budget but would still like to keep it as low as possible of course

Available Travel Dates: Nov 7th onward excluding Dec 23-26

Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA, BA, JL, QF, AY - *** I'm assuming any CX flight booked through AA.com would count since it's codeshared?

I would like to stay in BKK 4-5 nights and in SJO 3-4 nights

Open to premium economy on the BKK flight.

Routing from LAS-SJO is super cheap but not sure about the earnings.

Thanks!

Last edited by KmKx151; Oct 18, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Old Oct 18, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG SA, AA ExP, UA Silver, O6 Gold
I have been looking for a quick return deal from IAH/HOU for EQD. Expect to do it in November.

I found something this https://goo.gl/flights/qh5q
IAH-LHR-JNB, entire trip PE bookable from BA.com for $1815 - $130 AARP discount
EQM: 31365
EQD: 4182
RDM: 46000 with ExP

The problem is I am US PR and will need a visa to get on this flight. Is there any similar deal earning about 4000 EQD? Same day return or overnight prefer. I can drive to AUS/SAT/DFW/DAL if better deal there. Any destination is welcome even VISA might be required. I will do my math later.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jeffiek
Departure Airport: PHL, EWR
Miles Needed: 12,000 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: Cheap as possible
Available Travel Dates: Any time before the end of the year

Thank you!
EWR-DFW-EZE (rt) on AA in Y for $857 | 13,300 EQM

EWR-DFW-HKG-LAX-PHX-EWR on AA in Y for $582 | 19,300 EQM
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta, Marriott
Hey guys, I'm $3 short on EQD, is there anyway to get this without flying? I'm status matching to delta but want to still have AA status.

EQM: N/A
EQD: $3 short
Departure Airport: LAX
Price: Cheap as possible or not fly.
Other info

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by KmKx151
Hello! I have signed up for a Platinum challenge that ends Jan 10th but would like to have it completed by end of year.

Departure Airport: Live in PHX but can depart from LAX, LAS, SFO, SEA

Destinations: BKK and SJO

EQMs Needed: 12,500

EQDs Needed: $2,000

Required Spend or Budget: I don't have an unrealistically low budget but would still like to keep it as low as possible of course

Available Travel Dates: Nov 7th onward excluding Dec 23-26
I would like to stay in BKK 4-5 nights and in SJO 3-4 nights
The special fare trick via AAVacations will only work for SJO, not BKK. IMO, BKK is not a great choice for the challenge (if you have cost concerns).

BKK Trip
SFO-HND-BKK on JL in PE for $2,285 | 24,000 EQM | 3,200 EQD
**Buy the JL flight numbers for maximum earnings**
Note: The economy JL fare costing around $1k books into fare class N and will only earn around 950 EQD and 8,000 EQM.

SJO Trip
LAS-MIA-SJO on AA booked through AAVacations.com will be $500-$600 per person with hotel 11/09 - 11/13. Books into O*/Q* fare classes (asterisk denotes special fare).
Earns: 6,596 EQM | 660 EQD

Originally Posted by KmKx151
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA, BA, JL, QF, AY - *** I'm assuming any CX flight booked through AA.com would count since it's codeshared?
Only if it has an AA flight number. Where you buy it makes no difference. BUT, if you buy an AA flight number, you will not earn EQDs based on distance flown (unless it's a special fare, which that CX fare is definitely NOT). If you plan is to buy a cheap flight on CX metal (with an AA code), you will earn EQDs based on the price paid.

Originally Posted by 6foot7
Hey guys, I'm $3 short on EQD, is there anyway to get this without flying?
Short answer is: No. Buy the cheapest flight (NOT Basic Economy) you can find or call AA and ask if they'll give you the 3 EQD.
KmKx151 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by hatey
I have been looking for a quick return deal from IAH/HOU for EQD. Expect to do it in November.

I found something this https://goo.gl/flights/qh5q
IAH-LHR-JNB, entire trip PE bookable from BA.com for $1815 - $130 AARP discount
EQM: 31365
EQD: 4182
RDM: 46000 with ExP

The problem is I am US PR and will need a visa to get on this flight. Is there any similar deal earning about 4000 EQD? Same day return or overnight prefer. I can drive to AUS/SAT/DFW/DAL if better deal there. Any destination is welcome even VISA might be required. I will do my math later.
No, that's the best ex-US deal you're gonna find for that amount of EQDs.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:25 pm

DFW Mileage Run

Departure Airport: DFW

Miles Needed: 25K EQM/4K EQD

Spend/Budget: Flexible, but prefer to keep it down

Available Travel Dates: December (1st half)

Other: I have SWUs and wouldn't mind spending some time in DPS

Also, is there a link to figure out how to find good mileage runs and estimate EQM/EQDs without trial/error on AA websites?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by swingaling
(rt) on AA in Y for $857 | 13,300 EQM

EWR-DFW-HKG-LAX-PHX-EWR on AA in Y for $582 | 19,300 EQM
Thanks for this! I forgot to mention in the original post that I would prefer no stayover. Any idea if there are flight combos that have an immediate return?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Platinum Pro Mileage Run(s)

Departure Airport: ORD, MKE, (MCI or SEA)
Miles Needed: 13K EQM (or 38K for Ex Plat)
Required Spend or Budget: No EQDs required, prefer to keep spend as low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Any weekends through the end of year (except 11/3-11/5 and 11/30-12/3)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Whatever gets me the EQMs

Having booked my travel through the end of the year, it looks like I'll be in spitting distance of Platinum Pro, and given my expected travel in 2018, the benefits would be useful. If I could parlay into Ex. Plat without substantial additional spend, that would be great too.

I've been looking at a single ORD-HKG run on AA metal in Y, but was wondering if anyone had anything more...creative? I am based in ORD (or MKE via Amtrak) but can start/end trips in MCI or SEA on occasion. Also may be able to go ex-MCO if starting on 12/27, but that would increase mileage needed by 1100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old Oct 19, 2017, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by jeffiek
Thanks for this! I forgot to mention in the original post that I would prefer no stayover. Any idea if there are flight combos that have an immediate return?
Not for that HKG fare. It requires a stop of 12+ hrs before return. An immediate turn in HKG will cost around $1,300 rt.

The fare to EZE allows a same day turn with a 12hr day time stop in EZE. Adjusted dates here.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by FrankDFW
Departure Airport: DFW

Miles Needed: 25K EQM/4K EQD

Spend/Budget: Flexible, but prefer to keep it down

Available Travel Dates: December (1st half)

Other: I have SWUs and wouldn't mind spending some time in DPS

Also, is there a link to figure out how to find good mileage runs and estimate EQM/EQDs without trial/error on AA websites?
You can only use the SWUs on AA metal, as you probably know. If you fly AA metal, you won't earn distance-based EQDs (to Asia, anyway). You'll get EQDs based on spend alone.

Also, I'm not seeing anything out of DFW. The prices are horrible across the board. You'll need to position to somewhere else if you want a decent fare. EWR is a good choice because it'll give you the most EQM/EQD.

EWR-HKG-SIN on CX in PE for $2,136 | 28,900 EQM | 3,850 EQD

SIN-DPS is a quick, cheap flight. The positioning flight to EWR will get you the rest of the EQDs you need.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman
Departure Airport: ORD, MKE, (MCI or SEA)
Miles Needed: 13K EQM (or 38K for Ex Plat)
Required Spend or Budget: No EQDs required, prefer to keep spend as low as possible
Available Travel Dates: Any weekends through the end of year (except 11/3-11/5 and 11/30-12/3)
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Whatever gets me the EQMs
38k in a single trip is only feasible if you're flying a premium fare. Multiple trips could get it done, though.

ORD-NRT-CGK (rt) on AA/JL for $765 | 19,700 EQM | **Buy the AA flight numbers**

This type of fare is getting harder and harder to find as we get closer to EoY. It's widely available next year, but that doesn't help you.

Something like the following would nearly get it done in a single trip for you.

YVR-HKG-AKL (rt) on CX in PE for $2,326 | 36,200 EQM
Old Oct 19, 2017, 11:18 am

swingaling:

Thanks for all you do - I'm learning.

Do you know with these types of fares - do they allow you to take a day in the stopovers? Thinking about bringing the Misses and having her see some of these places.

Still have to figure out how to use my SWUs - maybe I'll use them in January though.

K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.