Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by jbeckett
PHL-BOS-DFW-PHL day trip 11/7 is $202, 3138 miles.
PHL-ORD-NRT-CGK-NRT-DFW-PHL out 12/3 return 12/5 is $803, 21906 miles. Make sure all flights have AA flight numbers for 100% credit.
Thank you JBeckett!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Hi Everyone! I found you guys through other airline frequent fliers and I hope to one day reach yall's levels here soon enough. I'm a business traveler and just hit Platinum on AA, but am looking to see if I can't hit Plat Pro or Exec Plat before the end of the year. We can count on me at least flying about another 15k miles before year's end with Mon-Thurs trips each week until then, but I'd like to see if I can find something that'd get me 20-25k in a few days' time (weekend pref).

Departure Airport: Primary - Dallas (DFW); Can also travel alternatively from Newark (EWR) or LaGuardia (LGA).

Miles Needed: 25k+

Required Spend or Budget: No Req. Spend; Budget is $1k - $1.2k

Available Travel Dates: Most of November through Dec. 13th; quicker the better - aiming to also minimize time away. Weekends preferred.

Required Medal or Codeshare: none
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:10 pm
E55

Maybe just the farthest within mileage run CPM ranges.
Originally Posted by swingaling
Nope. LAX/SFO-HKG-JNB is ~1,700 miles farther.

BOS-DOH-AKL is even farther.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Pulsare
Departure Airport: Primary - Dallas (DFW); Can also travel alternatively from Newark (EWR) or LaGuardia (LGA).

Miles Needed: 25k+

Required Spend or Budget: No Req. Spend; Budget is $1k - $1.2k

Available Travel Dates: Most of November through Dec. 13th; quicker the better - aiming to also minimize time away. Weekends preferred.

Required Medal or Codeshare: none

LGA-DFW-NRT-CGK on AA in Y for $765 | 22,800 EQM

LGA-DFW-HKG//HKG-NRT-ORD-LGA on AA in Y for $576 | 17,300 EQM

LGA-BOS-LHR-AMS//AMS-PHL-LGA on AA in Y for $601 | 8,500 EQM

DFW-HKG-KUL//KUL-NRT-DFW on AA/CX/JL in Y for $729 | 17,900 EQM
Pulsare likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA - Gold Hilton - Diamond
Looking for help out of LAX. Sitting on 40K EQM, but only 1.6K in EQD. Call me thrifty...I wouldn't mind spending a little more this year to hit Platinum or even Platinum Pro. Is that possible without a huge spend? Can do a couple of runs over weekends or 3 day weekend. Would prefer Europe over Far East. Thanks in advance.

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 3-6K, or any low cost/mile runs
Required Spend or Budget: Lowest cost/mile
Available Travel Dates: Weekends through end of year.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SANman
Looking for help out of LAX. Sitting on 40K EQM, but only 1.6K in EQD. Call me thrifty...I wouldn't mind spending a little more this year to hit Platinum or even Platinum Pro. Is that possible without a huge spend? Can do a couple of runs over weekends or 3 day weekend. Would prefer Europe over Far East. Thanks in advance.

Departure Airport: LAX
Miles Needed: 3-6K, or any low cost/mile runs
Required Spend or Budget: Lowest cost/mile
Available Travel Dates: Weekends through end of year.
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: AA
With just a quick look (and sticking with Europe), this is the best I'm getting.
https://goo.gl/flights/3aqf

If you were flexible and added Asia, you can do this one for about $2k:
https://goo.gl/flights/nkn4
That would give you: 21,690 EQM, $2,892 EQD

You might be able to find lower if you play around on the days. But it looks like you'd need a Thurs-Sun to get the lowest fare.
If you leave Friday, the fare goes up by $300-500.

What else have you found so far?

Last edited by aztimm; Oct 10, 2017 at 12:31 pm
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM
Originally Posted by hiima
Also award redeposit for free, which is huge for some. If I can get award redeposit for free as PPRO, I would go for PPRO only.
(Sorry...have been missing in action for a week, so I'm probably too late for this conversation, but . . . )

To me, EXP has huge economic/convenience advantages over PPRO, including the previously mentioned SWUs and comped Award Redeposits/Changes. You also have much greater chance of clearing standby and upgrades (especially when you're doing the awful Friday afternoon homeward return!). And a huge one for me is the comp Same Day Flight Change--I use this at least a couple times a month.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by SANman
Looking for help out of LAX. Sitting on 40K EQM, but only 1.6K in EQD. Call me thrifty...I wouldn't mind spending a little more this year to hit Platinum or even Platinum Pro. Is that possible without a huge spend? Can do a couple of runs over weekends or 3 day weekend. Would prefer Europe over Far East.
Unless you're willing to spend at least $2k, it's not gonna happen. At 1,600 EQDs you're not even at Gold status yet. You'd need 1,400 more EQDs to hit gold. If you want discounted EQDs, the best value is generally flying partner airlines in premium economy. EQDs are calculated on distance, so you need to fly as far as possible to maximize your EQDs.

Europe isn't far enough to be a very good value.

LAX-LHR-JNB rt on BA in PE costs $1,880 | 33,000 EQM | 4,400 EQD

That flight should be JUST enough to get you the EQDs for Plat.

LAX-HKG-AKL rt on CX in PE costs $2,282 | 38,800 EQM | 5,100 EQD
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: Miles and More
Help needed out of WAS

I'm short ~28k EQMs and ~$1100 EQDs to requalify for exp plat.
I have two flights on hold out of BWI / DCA to PVG at the moment for ~ $750 each.
If any one has any better suggestions I would really appreciate help.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dkuc
I'm short ~28k EQMs and ~$1100 EQDs to requalify for exp plat.
I have two flights on hold out of BWI / DCA to PVG at the moment for ~ $750 each.
If any one has any better suggestions I would really appreciate help.
This is a bit short on EQD, so pick flights that are priced sufficiently to meet your requirements.
BWI-DFW-SEA-DFW-BWI day trip 11/1 is $248, 5740 miles.
BWI-DFW-NRT-CGK-NRT-DFW-BWI out 12/4 return 12/6 is $802, 22500 miles. Make sure all flights have AA flight numbers for 100% credit.
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...1-01;a=AA;eo=e
https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...2248;a=AA;eo=e
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Thanks for help! This turns out to be quicker and cheaper.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:26 am

PHL-SYD - Looking for max EQM

Hello and thanks for reading!

Looking to book PHL-SYD RT in business. Looking for max EQM. Lower EQD is not an issue. Any advice for AA vs OW? Willing to to skip the "best" seat or route if I can grab some extra EQM.

Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by swingaling
NYC-LON isn't far enough to complete the Plat challenge in a single trip. On a T fare, it'll give you around 10k EQM and 1,400 EQD. On a T fare, you'll need to travel 10k miles (actual distance round trip) to hit the EQD requirement.
I now have ~2k EQM & $386 EQD from a recent work trip (4 segments @ 500 EQM min each), so I am considering the T fare flights once again to help bring me close enough where a normal inexpensive flight could put me over. Thoughts?
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: United, American, Delta, Usairways, Southwest, Avis, Alamo, Hyatt, Marriot, Intercontinental
Hi Everyone,

It looks like I'll be within striking distance of EXP on AA. I thought I'd make it with my last business trip of the year in December but AA and its partners don't have flights at the right times for my needs. So, I'll need to do a MR.

Departure Airport: SEA (PDX, YVR if it significantly saves cost)

Miles Needed: 7600 EQMs (No EQDs needed)

Spend/Budget: As cheap as possible can find

Available Travel Dates: Fri-Sun
--Oct 20-22
--Nov 3-5
--Dec 15-17
--Dec 22-24

Any ideas?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old Oct 13, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by JoshPA
Hello and thanks for reading!

Looking to book PHL-SYD RT in business. Looking for max EQM. Lower EQD is not an issue. Any advice for AA vs OW? Willing to to skip the "best" seat or route if I can grab some extra EQM.

Thanks for the help!
Good question. The 2.0 EQM multiplier is with AA is often hard to beat, but it is possible by taking a much longer route.

Separate Ticket Combinations:

1. QR via JNB: PHL-DOH-JNB//JNB-DOH-SYD: 66,600 EQM | 44,418 BIS

2. AA/QR via GRU: PHL-MIA-GRU//GRU-DOH-SYD: 65,500 EQM | 40,200 BIS

3. QR: PHL-DOH//DOH-SYD (rt): 43,400 EQM | 28,900 BIS

Single Ticket Options:

1. AA: PHL-LAX-SYD (rt): 39,500 EQM | 19,700 BIS

2. CX/AA: PHL-ORD-HKG-SYD/SYD-HKG-LAX-PHL: 42,400 EQM | 27,200 BIS

3. BA: PHL-LHR-SIN-SYD (rt): 42,600 EQM | 28,400 BIS *Very Expensive*

4. JL/AA: PHL-BOS-NRT-SYD/SYD-ORD-PHL: 42,800 EQM | 23,800 BIS
Note: This is the earnings for booking AA & JL codes (with JL codes only on the NRT-SYD-NRT legs). Booking JL codes for all legs will net 35,700 EQM instead.

5. AA/QR: PHL-AA-CDG-QR-DOH//DOH-QR-SYD: 39,700 EQM | 29,000 BIS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.