Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

AA/One World: 2017-2018 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: melrowgo
Requesters and responders, please read this wiki before posting.
In order to organize Mileage/Status/Challenge Run threads, the Moderators have decided to create a consolidated thread. This is the thread for American Airlines.

For each request:
  1. do a search on your departure airport(s) to see if there's a MR already posted that might fit your need
  2. if you don't find what you need, post your request using the standardized format shown below in this wiki
  3. it's nice form to acknowledge the responder with a post indicating whether the assistance worked for you or not. This helps everyone learn about successful runs
  4. if several days have gone by and you have not received a reply, bump up your original post with a (gentle) re-ask. It might be your post was missed in the fray
For each response:
  1. quote the original request
  2. include the route cities, price, airline, cabin/class, EQMs/EQDs, and dates for the solution(s) found
  3. whenever possible, include a link to the solution as found on Google Flights, or attach as screen print of the solution if from another source

For each request, use this format as shown. A glossary follows to clarify each entry.

Departure Airport(s):
EQMs or EQSs Needed:
EQDs Needed:
Max Budget:
Available Travel Dates:
Max # Travel Nights:
AA only, or Partners Okay:
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N):

If there is additional information you'd like to share that is pertinent to your request, feel free to add it after this standardized request format.

GLOSSARY:
Departure Airport(s): list the airport codes of any airports you can depart from, identifying preferred airports if any
EQMs or EQSs Needed: the number of each/either that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
EQDs Needed: the number that you need to reach status. Please be as precise as possible, as some MRs can be within a few of your goal.
Max Budget: the maximum amount you're willing to spend to reach status. Less is always preferable, but a max is an important factor. Please make this a realistic number for your goal.
Available Travel Dates: list the range of dates you're available. The more you list, the better your chances of getting a good MR.
Max # Travel Nights: the maximum number of nights you're willing to be away. The nights might be at the destination or at a layover city. If cannot be gone overnight at all, list 0 or "day run only". Again, please make this realistic for your goal.
AA only, or Partners Okay: if you want to only AA-coded flights (e.g. for upgrades, etc), then list "AA only". If you are okay with flying on partners (especially useful for EQD runs), then list "either".
Have Chinese Visa? (Y/N): if you have a Chinese visa that will be valid at the time of the MR, then list "Y". Many good MRs have destinations in China, but you need a visa for those destinations.

(Note: Added this info from the OP to wiki for greater visibility to posters.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AAmileagerun
Looking for a 15K mileage run on AA from LAX. Any ideas appreciated. Thank you
You can get LAX-SIN for ~$479 ai for some dates.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...=ONEWORLD;eo=e
Old Oct 16, 2017, 7:18 pm

Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 50k EQM
Required Spend or Budget: lowest possible. Already met EQD for exec platinum
Available Travel Dates: Nov / Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Code shares ok if in Premium economy

Targeting for Exec Platinum. Thank you very much.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAmileagerun
Looking for a 15K mileage run on AA from LAX. Any ideas appreciated. Thank you
AA has direct flights to HKG daily. Easy peasy.

Originally Posted by Flyerhandle
Thank you. The JNB option sounds better, because it leaves directly from here, has a good multiplier, I have always wanted to go there, and allows for a potential upgrade to business. Does this have to be booked through BA's website, or will it show up on GF, as I understand from reading that some BA flight sets just don't appear on GF?
This one shows up on GF.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP x 1.5, DL GM, JB, HH GLD
Originally Posted by swingaling
AA has direct flights to HKG daily. Easy peasy.

This one shows up on GF.
I was able to find the MIA-JNB flight and fare. (I could not find a MIA-HKG fare anywhere close to the same amount, but I wanted BA vs. CX anyway.) Do I have to book this through BA to ensure that it is treated as a BA fare, if some of the flights are AA codeshares? Lastly, is this also eligible for the AARP discount as well? If so, it earns EQDs at a 2.5 multiplier, which is very good. Thank you again.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by kartikeymittal
Departure Airport: DFW
Miles Needed: 50k EQM
Required Spend or Budget: lowest possible. Already met EQD for exec platinum
Available Travel Dates: Nov / Dec
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Code shares ok if in Premium economy

Targeting for Exec Platinum. Thank you very much.
If you want lowest spend possible, you'll have to put in the leg work and do it yourself. Here are some suggestions to get started.

DFW-NRT-CGK rt on AA in Y for $821 | about 18,000 EQM

DFW-LAX-HKG-KUL-NRT-DFW rt on AA/CX/JL in Y for $708 | 18,200 EQM (the CX leg earns 0)

DFW-NRT-CGK rt on JL in PE for $1,974 | 30,000 EQM (Book the JL flight numbers)

IAH-LHR-JNB rt on BA in PE for $1,815 | 31,000 EQM
atxtraveler likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:46 pm

I was able to find the MIA-JNB flight and fare. (I could not find a MIA-HKG fare anywhere close to the same amount, but I wanted BA vs. CX anyway.) Do I have to book this through BA to ensure that it is treated as a BA fare, if some of the flights are AA codeshares? Lastly, is this also eligible for the AARP discount as well? If so, it earns EQDs at a 2.5 multiplier, which is very good. Thank you again.
The MIA-LHR-HKG flight can only be priced on BA.com.

Example: 12/07/17 - 12/11/17
BA208 + BA27 / BA32 + BA209
Cost: $1,996.88 (PE / WT+)

Book with BA.com. Do not book the AA flight numbers unless you like earning fewer EQDs and RDMs. AARP discount still available through EOY.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:07 pm

The MIA-LHR-HKG flight can only be priced on BA.com.

Example: 12/07/17 - 12/11/17
BA208 + BA27 / BA32 + BA209
Cost: $1,996.88 (PE / WT+)

Book with BA.com. Do not book the AA flight numbers unless you like earning fewer EQDs and RDMs. AARP discount still available through EOY.
Unfortunately, just figured out that I cannot upgrade this fare into business, as it books into T, and only W fares are allowed to upgrade to business with miles. Full fare economy can as well, but the tickets are more than twice the PE fare. May have to look into the bank point special ticketing angle, and/or consolidator tickets to get a decent $/EQD multiplier, as well as a trip on which I might be able to upgrade with $, miles or SWUs.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:31 pm

Unfortunately, just figured out that I cannot upgrade this fare into business, as it books into T, and only W fares are allowed to upgrade to business with miles. Full fare economy can as well, but the tickets are more than twice the PE fare. May have to look into the bank point special ticketing angle, and/or consolidator tickets to get a decent $/EQD multiplier, as well as a trip on which I might be able to upgrade with $, miles or SWUs.
The CX fare to MLE books into R. It's upgradeable with miles.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat
Departure Airport: CLT, RDU, or GSO
Miles Needed:~20,000 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: $600
Available Travel Dates: Dec '17, not 12/25
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by E541891
Departure Airport: CLT, RDU, or GSO
Miles Needed:~20,000 EQM
Required Spend or Budget: $600
Available Travel Dates: Dec '17, not 12/25
Required Metal or Codeshares okay: Yes
I don't think $600 is realistic for 20k EQM at this point.

Best I can find is:

RDU-DFW-NRT-CGK rt on AA in Y for $804 | 22,000 EQM
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:48 pm

The CX fare to MLE books into R. It's upgradeable with miles.
I thought that the only partner airlines that you could upgrade with AA miles are BA and IB. I don't see anything regarding CX. I'd appreciate any guidance, and thank you for your ongoing assistance.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:58 pm

I thought that the only partner airlines that you could upgrade with AA miles are BA and IB. I don't see anything regarding CX. I'd appreciate any guidance, and thank you for your ongoing assistance.
You can only upgrade CX fares with AsiaMiles. However, you can transfer Amex MR points to AsiaMiles at a 1:1 ratio.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GM (2013 Gold, 2014 Silver), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Hi all, hoping to get some help. I'm looking for a MR, but the dates are very limited since our only window is during Thanksgiving:
EQM: 14k
EQD: at least $1400 (if AA I can book a special fare to get EQD)
Leave ORD: 5 PM or later on 11/21
Return to ORD: before 10 PM on 11/26
Misc: we have SWUs that we can use
Price: preferably under $800 but can go to $1k
Other info: China is out since we don't have a visa & we are open to a quick turn

Thank you, Dave
Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by ChicagoDave
Hi all, hoping to get some help. I'm looking for a MR, but the dates are very limited since our only window is during Thanksgiving:
EQM: 14k
EQD: at least $1400 (if AA I can book a special fare to get EQD)
Leave ORD: 5 PM or later on 11/21
Return to ORD: before 10 PM on 11/26
Misc: we have SWUs that we can use
Price: preferably under $800 but can go to $1k
Other info: China is out since we don't have a visa & we are open to a quick turn

Thank you, Dave
You're asking for the impossible, sorry to say.

Here's the problem. In order to earn 100% EQMs with a partner, you'd need to buy a (nearly) full fare economy ticket. Otherwise, you're earning EQMs at 50% and there's no way to buy a 28,000 mile long trip for under $1k. Either way, it'll cost WAY more than $1k.

So, your best bet is AA coded flights. Many trips to Asia are far enough to earn the EQMs you need, but they won't earn the EQDs you need. I've done a lot of searching and I've only found special fares for China. There are some special fares to China, but since you don't want to go there, you're painting yourself into a corner.

Given your inflexible schedule and short advance notice, something has to give. If you're unwilling to go to China, then you'll need to spend more.

The following will work in terms of schedule and EQM/EQD earn. Both options are a bit cheaper if booked with a hotel through AAVacations.

ORD-LHR-JNB on AA/BA in Y for $1,190 | 19,000 EQM | 2,300 EQD | L*/V* Fares | AA codes | Book on AAVacations.com

ORD-LAX-PEK on AA in Y for $923 | 16,600 EQM | 1,600 EQD | S*/Q* Fares | Book on AAVacations.com
Old Oct 17, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Delta Platinum

Given your inflexible schedule and short advance notice, something has to give. If you're unwilling to go to China, then you'll need to spend more.

The following will work in terms of schedule and EQM/EQD earn. Both options are a bit cheaper if booked with a hotel through AAVacations.

ORD-LHR-JNB on AA/BA in Y for $1,190 | 19,000 EQM | 2,300 EQD | L*/V* Fares | AA codes | Book on AAVacations.com
I'm looking at this and it seems like a good deal, but when I look at AAVactions, the flights are coming up L*/Q* fares. Am I doing something wrong? If not, I'll definitely book this!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.