Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 8:40 am

After it being like this for a few hours, I just tried it again and got the info.
Must have been a web glitch.

Originally Posted by citsfo
Im in the same boat. Shows up fine on checkmytrip and occasionally on lot.com
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Equip change on Y/P fare ticket?

Booked MSP-EWR-MPX/VCE-FRA-ORD-MSP for $1,495 yesterday for two pax. When booked, MSP-EWR was RJ145 so it ticketed in Y, all other segments in P.

Today the equip changes came through. MSP-EWR is now an E170. I have not accepted the changes via the online button, was thinking of calling UA to request P for the first segment since it was sold as a biz fare. Can that work?

If not, does Y allow us the extra room seats? Yesterday on the E145 they wanted $59 pp for exit row which seemed crazy for a ticket that is, in effect, full fare coach (Y, right?).

Thx.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by RaflW
Booked MSP-EWR-MPX/VCE-FRA-ORD-MSP for $1,495 yesterday for two pax. When booked, MSP-EWR was RJ145 so it ticketed in Y, all other segments in P.

Today the equip changes came through. MSP-EWR is now an E170. I have not accepted the changes via the online button, was thinking of calling UA to request P for the first segment since it was sold as a biz fare. Can that work?

If not, does Y allow us the extra room seats? Yesterday on the E145 they wanted $59 pp for exit row which seemed crazy for a ticket that is, in effect, full fare coach (Y, right?).

Thx.
Getting P should not be a problem, just explain what happened.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: US Airways, Silver United, Gold Hilton, Platinum Marriott, Gold SPG
Originally Posted by tcook052
LOL
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Are these ~1500 J fares to Europe dead? Can't find anything for under $2700-$3000
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Are these ~1500 J fares to Europe dead? Can't find anything for under $2700-$3000
Most of them were gone for at least 24 hours
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm cancelling some of the tickets I bought for June and July travel within the "24-hour" window for a courtesy cancel (with the amount refunded less the Orbitz ticketing fee).

I found a better deal using miles for TATL travel in June and July and decided to save the $1100-$1300 per ticket and use those funds later when a much better deal comes around.

What have I come to do.

I guess this is notice to some that you have until around 9pm or 10pm CDT on April 5th (today) to back out for the most part on purchases made on April 4th.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:16 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Are these ~1500 J fares to Europe dead?
Dead? Hmmm. Some think so. Some not. Some said it was dead. Then it reincarnated. If it's dead now, it could revivify. What is death? Is it a final end, or just a new beginning? Is existence real or just an illusion? Can any man truly know the unknowable?

RNE, a lunatic with a flair for the dramatic, and a diehard disbeliever in deal death.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by GUWonder

....later when a much better deal comes around.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
I'm cancelling some of the tickets I bought for June and July travel within the "24-hour" window for a courtesy cancel (with the amount refunded less the Orbitz ticketing fee).

I found a better deal using miles for TATL travel in June and July and decided to save the $1100-$1300 per ticket and use those funds later when a much better deal comes around.

What have I come to do.

I guess this is notice to some that you have until around 9pm or 10pm CDT on April 5th (today) to back out for the most part on purchases made on April 4th.
If you find a "much better deal", I'm interested in hearing what it is! Even saver awards in C would be a tough call vs paid C. $1569 vs 115k miles, and the $1569 gets you anywhere between 15-25k RDMs, but 150% PQMs. Obviously, we all walk in very different shoes.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond

What have I come to do.

Let me guess, AV?
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Let me guess, AV?
No. AF-KL miles, but in economy class for June and July.

http://boardingarea.com/pointsmilesa...ummer-one-way/

25k+$300 per ticket vs. $1200 in business class per ticket. It wasn't an easy choice at first, but after a bit of deliberation I decided it was an easy choice for me. For others, it might not make as much sense as it did for me, especially when I'm sure there will be a better cents per mile deal in a premium cabin eventually and I have a good chance of getting in on it. As with many things, this is a case of YMMV.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 9:10 pm

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Many thanks to OP as I was able to book EUG-SFO-FRA-VCE-MUC-ORD-PDX-EUG for a long weekend in end of July. Booked 5 various routings before deciding on a final itinerary, one involved Rome but then decided against it because a weekend visit is too short. Perfect trip to complete my Plat status for 2015.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I'm really surprised at how many people thought this is a normal sale and initiated by UA. It looked to me like DL filed this at $750 for 10 night stay and $1000 for saturday stay in United hubs and germany/switzerland/Austria to which UA went wild with $500 fares. Seems UA was somewhat retarded in filing below summer coach fares - showed up on places like the big o as the lowest fare. At least DL had fares slightly higher than coach. I wouldnt expect a deal this good to come back - especially for peak season
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:27 am

Especially the cheaper than coach fares

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.