Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cesco.g
There are two categories of US cities involved, DL hubs and other, generally secondary, airports.
From some DL Hubs, UA P fares are valid to a much wider range of cities in Europe:
SLC/MSP/DTW/ATL/CVG/MEM-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/BUD/PRG/CPH/IST/WAW/ARN/OSL/KRK/PRG/TLL/RIX/etc
(but not JFK nor LAX?)

Other airports are valid to a smaller set of cities in Europe:
BOS/SJC/SMF/MOD/BWI/BUR/ONT/SNA/PSP/HNL/SEA/PDX/AUS/PIT/TUS/TPA/ALB/etc/etc-AMS/MXP/FCO/CDG/MLA/VCE/TRN/FLR/NAP/PMO/CTA/etc

Most UA hubs don't have the fare filed (not SFO for sure), but apparently EWR has at least EWR-VCE/NCE (but not EWR-MXP/PMO/FCO/CDG)

Some destinations in Europe have a slightly higher base fare:
MRS/LYS

(please add more cities to either origin or destination side that are valid)

Be careful in your airline selection - there are PQM/RDM implications to this. For example, for the UA program, UA P earns 150% PQM/RDM, LH P earns 100% PQM/RDM, and it appears that OS P earns nothing.
Similarly it looks like UA P class credited to Aegean (A3) earns nothing. Visit this United webpage then click on the Star Alliance partner to determine mileage earnings.
Print Wikipost

[FARE GONE] Lots of UA ATL-AMS (and other cities) Z fares; less than $2k for July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Hi Freecia - can you tell if they switched equipment to a Skywest plane w/ no first cabin? If so I would still take it as the bulk of the flights are still in P (right?)

Even if not, you're right that you'd still earn 150% PQM from the Y fare class.
My P to Y change coincided with the schedule and plane changes for summer. Now UA.com shows it is a CRJ200 from SJC to DEN on Skywest (no Biz/First).

Is this worth a call to Expedia? Is there any chance of a re-route? The earlier SJC-DEN shows First available but it leaves at 6:53 am while currently booked flight leaves at 11:27. My LH DEN-FRA outbound isn't until 5:25.

Are the summer UA schedule and plane changes fully loaded?

I'm inclined just to sit tight (sort of literally) as I'm short and can probably take the curve next to the window seat or book two aisle seats (whatever aisles LH can assign up front). Sure, it wouldn't be pleasant but a 6 hour layover with 6:53 departure might be more painful?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was anybody able to save the fare rules. I believe the last day of return was 4 Sept? and if yes, was it the last day of TATL return or the last segment of the entire res?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by freecia
My P to Y change coincided with the schedule and plane changes for summer. Now UA.com shows it is a CRJ200 from SJC to DEN on Skywest (no Biz/First).

Is this worth a call to Expedia? Is there any chance of a re-route? The earlier SJC-DEN shows First available but it leaves at 6:53 am while currently booked flight leaves at 11:27. My LH DEN-FRA outbound isn't until 5:25.

Are the summer UA schedule and plane changes fully loaded?

I'm inclined just to sit tight (sort of literally) as I'm short and can probably take the curve next to the window seat or book two aisle seats (whatever aisles LH can assign up front). Sure, it wouldn't be pleasant but a 6 hour layover with 6:53 departure might be more painful?
What about trying to get rerouted through LAX? You'd leave an hour earlier, but the flights are scheduled to land at FRA at the same time. You would also change from the 747-400 to the 747-800 and have a CR7 on SJC-LAX. The flights on the day I'm looking at least are UA 6499 and LH 457.

Of course without knowing the specific date it's impossible to check for P availability, and I don't know if you'd have as much luck with Expedia compared to if you'd booked through UA.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
What about trying to get rerouted through LAX? You'd leave an hour earlier, but the flights are scheduled to land at FRA at the same time. You would also change from the 747-400 to the 747-800 and have a CR7 on SJC-LAX. The flights on the day I'm looking at least are UA 6499 and LH 457.

Of course without knowing the specific date it's impossible to check for P availability, and I don't know if you'd have as much luck with Expedia compared to if you'd booked through UA.
8/16. P available SJC-LAX but not LAX-FRA on LH 457. Checked via matrix /f bc=p

It is an LH ticket which shows the UA codeshare LH8981 from SJC-DEN. I guess the backup step is to setup expertflyer alerts for LH 457 and UA 6499? Does expedia have to make this change or is this something LH can do since it is their codeshare number?

Last edited by freecia; Apr 7, 2014 at 1:49 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
8/16. P available SJC-LAX but not LAX-FRA on LH 457. Checked via matrix /f bc=p

It is an LH ticket which shows the UA codeshare LH8981 from SJC-DEN. I guess the backup step is to setup expertflyer alerts for LH 457 and UA 6499? Does expedia have to make this change or is this something LH can do since it is their codeshare number?

What about changing to SFO? A lot more options there.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
Originally Posted by channa
What about changing to SFO? A lot more options there.
I believe I have SJC-IAH, then IAH-FRA, but leaves significantly earlier than the DEN-FRA flight, making for a very long layover in FRA.

Good news is that IAH-FRA is scheduled to be the new business A380, as is SFO-FRA. However, I think that changing departure airports is more difficult than routing changes.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by patchan8984
I believe I have SJC-IAH, then IAH-FRA, but leaves significantly earlier than the DEN-FRA flight, making for a very long layover in FRA.

Good news is that IAH-FRA is scheduled to be the new business A380, as is SFO-FRA. However, I think that changing departure airports is more difficult than routing changes.
I saw that note of the new business A380 IAH-FRA on the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22658746-post1008.html but can't find it on LH.com. Is it confirmed that all the IAH-FRA-IAH will have new business?

Is your ticket on LH? I don't see a SJC-IAH LH codeshare for UA1086.

Last edited by freecia; Apr 7, 2014 at 4:24 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
I saw that note of the new business A380 IAH-FRA on the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22658746-post1008.html but can't find it on LH.com. Is it confirmed that all the IAH-FRA-IAH will have new business?

Is your ticket on LH? I don't see a SJC-IAH LH codeshare for UA1086.
Yea I asked the question on that thread when looking at seatmaps...doesn't seem very certain if I will get new or old business

As for SJC-IAH, I got UA 1676 on LH stock...ticket number starts with 220 and not 016. I booked on Orbitz.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by frankmu
I have to unsubscribe from this thread.

Two chances to cheaply go to Europe this summer, but my wife would rather go to Indiana for her cousins wedding instead. The look she gave me when I considered a MR by myself...
I would raise that point with her and say that it's not my family and my involvement is not required.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
One of my bookings is on LH metal from ORD-FRA-FCO. I called LH to receive my seats. I received an email confirmation from LH with two attachments, one was a summary with the seat details, but the other one was a note of ADVICE OF OVERBOOKING. I looked like a standard note, as it did not mentioned my flights in question. Should I be concerned?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by arollins
One of my bookings is on LH metal from ORD-FRA-FCO. I called LH to receive my seats. I received an email confirmation from LH with two attachments, one was a summary with the seat details, but the other one was a note of ADVICE OF OVERBOOKING. I looked like a standard note, as it did not mentioned my flights in question. Should I be concerned?
If your flight is oversold, they should opup you to F
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. Sounds like standard language.

Also, LH is also more likely to offer cash compensation for VDBs. So if interested on departure day be sure to make yourself known.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by channa
No. Sounds like standard language.

Also, LH is also more likely to offer cash compensation for VDBs. So if interested on departure day be sure to make yourself known.
Thanks, I'm concerned because I managed to get on the upper deck of a 747, and my spouse and I where given good seats. While checking the seat map of the plane on LH.COM, it looks very open in business. Also, another thing that looks strange, on UA.COM, while viewing my reservation, it clearly shows my wife assigned my seats on the LH flights, and I do not show anything for me. I checked with UA but they mentioned that they do not show anything from LH, weird.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 7:55 pm
Community Director Emerita

Also, another thing that looks strange, on UA.COM, while viewing my reservation, it clearly shows my wife assigned my seats on the LH flights, and I do not show anything for me.
I, too, am on the upper deck of my LH flight. I find it reassuring to look at the LH portion of my trip using my LH PNR on checkmytrip.com. It shows my seats.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, I'm concerned because I managed to get on the upper deck of a 747, and my spouse and I where given good seats. While checking the seat map of the plane on LH.COM, it looks very open in business. Also, another thing that looks strange, on UA.COM, while viewing my reservation, it clearly shows my wife assigned my seats on the LH flights, and I do not show anything for me. I checked with UA but they mentioned that they do not show anything from LH, weird.
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I, too, am on the upper deck of my LH flight. I find it reassuring to look at the LH portion of my trip using my LH PNR on checkmytrip.com. It shows my seats.
Yes, United is not authoritative for OAL seats. Ignore what it says. They also have bugs if you booked 2 pax on the same PNR -- the OAL kicks back both seats, but CO's systems only show one.

The authoritative source would be checking it at lufthansa.com. Checkmytrip.com works too since LH uses Amadeus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.