Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Mileage Run Deals > Mileage Run Discussion
Reload this Page >

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Gone) RGN - SFO in F $450 one way AI; other N. America cities included

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TravellingMan
I have $20 worth of Burmese currency (in good shape too) left from my trip. Any suggestions on where I can exchange them outside Burma? I checked in most Asian countries and no luck.
well you should have changed it at the airport as you were leaving back into USD
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nlfmanager
I flew on a TG (Y) - KE (F) -KE (F) flight RGN-SFO. Credited KE to Alaska which posted correctly, but no credit to UA from TG....is there any reason for this not to be credited?

I submitted a request for credit to UA 2 weeks ago but no change yet.
I did a similar itin (ending LAX) and was told by TG that my booking code (coach of some sort) didn't accrue miles.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousFlyer
The food on CI was meh and the seats angle recline was not at all comfortable. If I had paid much more than the approx $350rt that we paid I think I'd actually be pretty pissed.
I booked all my Round 1 flights with CI J/F.

While not up to the standards of CX, SQ and the like, they're ok on the TPE/USA F flights I've taken. I had both KE F and CI F booked. The CI flights were $200 each, RT, compared to KE at $500+, the latter having a forced overnight in each direction, too. Sure, I like KE more, but the cost of flights, overnights in ICN, and days lost made CI the right choice for me.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousFlyer
Have to say I was not at all impressed with CI service in biz, especially compared to USA or European carriers or even fellow Asian carrier China Southern. The food on CI was meh and the seats angle recline was not at all comfortable. If I had paid much more than the approx $350rt that we paid I think I'd actually be pretty pissed.
Wow. Even the DL AMS-JFK RT made your ticket an absolute bargain. I recently flew TPE-LAX in CI F and the food was more than acceptable.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:21 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Does anybody know if it is possible to fly RGN-BKK-TPE and checking in one piece of luggage in RGN and another one in BKK? Got plenty of time to change planes, so this wouldn't be an issue.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Does anybody know if it is possible to fly RGN-BKK-TPE and checking in one piece of luggage in RGN and another one in BKK? Got plenty of time to change planes, so this wouldn't be an issue.
no issues as far as I'm aware. Worth noting however that Thai immigration might want to collect the departure tax from you (700baht) when you re-enter the sterile area.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:17 pm

Location: in your favourite lounge, clearing the whole buffet
Programs: LH Maximizer of the year, BA Blue Label killer
Can I show them the appropriate RATD entry where it is not shown that one must stay airside when connecting internationally?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by nlfmanager
I flew on a TG (Y) - KE (F) -KE (F) flight RGN-SFO. Credited KE to Alaska which posted correctly, but no credit to UA from TG....is there any reason for this not to be credited?
For R1 tickets on KE stock the segments RGN-BKK and BKK-RGN on TG was booked in W class = no miles. Forget it, no miles in any *A FFP program
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
no issues as far as I'm aware. Worth noting however that Thai immigration might want to collect the departure tax from you (700baht) when you re-enter the sterile area.
Interesting point.

Since a few years ago when they started putting the Thai departure tax on the tickets rather than collect it before immigration has anyone ever been asked to pay it? Immigration only looks at your boarding pass. I transit BKK all the time, it doesn't even seem like they would have a procedure now to collect it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by mcdevit
Interesting point.

Since a few years ago when they started putting the Thai departure tax on the tickets rather than collect it before immigration has anyone ever been asked to pay it? Immigration only looks at your boarding pass. I transit BKK all the time, it doesn't even seem like they would have a procedure now to collect it.
Yes. There are many reported cases of people being required to pay it. Apparently, there are location codes on the BP and if not issued in BKK, it will be required to pay the tax.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P, BA Silver
I arrived back from R1 ticket, RGN-SIN-HKG-LHR-JFK, and had an amazing time onboard and around Yangon. Had beer and rice noodles at Zaw Chi House by traders (you can't miss it as the place is fulled of foreigners). Shan food by Inya Road is also very good. I have concluded that when it comes to Intra-Asia J class, SQ is still better than CX. But, HKG-LHR was one of the best long haul flights I've ever took. RGN-SIN on SQ was one of my best short haul. ^
Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, Ivar's Carte Clam, Taco Time Loyalty Card
Originally Posted by *A Flyer
Yes. There are many reported cases of people being required to pay it. Apparently, there are location codes on the BP and if not issued in BKK, it will be required to pay the tax.
Not to belabor a small point, but where would one pay it? Immigration isn't equipped to take money. A good percentage of boarding passes are pre printed from personal computers in advance, not to mention from prior connections in other cities.

I guess the way around it would be to get a BP at the transfer desk before leaving the sterile area.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rankourabu
yes, I remember Coke in Iran - but that is grandfathered from the 70s.

In Myanmar, I only remember Star Cola in 2008 (250 kyat) - There was Coke/Diet Coke in a couple tourist places, but it was imported (1500 kyat), same price as a large Myanmar Beer (I am sure its more now)
Just back today and happy to report that at the mostly locals frequented food places that we visited, a large Myanmar Beer was 1600 kyat or they would accept 2$. If purchased at a small supermarket, a can of Myanmar beer was 500 kyat.

Local whiskey was an even better value, at least in terms of ethanol/kyat - a 175 ml bottle of "High Class" whisky for 600 kyat.

Most locals, mellowing out at sidewalk tables late in the evening, seemed to prefer whisky and some sort of mixer, rather than beer. I'd have joined 'em but was fairly susceptible to mosquitoes so our party retreated to my room at the YMCA.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by mcdevit
Not to belabor a small point, but where would one pay it? Immigration isn't equipped to take money. A good percentage of boarding passes are pre printed from personal computers in advance, not to mention from prior connections in other cities.

I guess the way around it would be to get a BP at the transfer desk before leaving the sterile area.
they send you back out to the collection desk to pay it than you have to queue up again.

whatever the code is, they seem to know. As pointed out, lots of reports of people having to pay it, and of course the odd exceptions where people have snuck through. If you have plenty of time you can always try - the worst is they send you back.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Just got back from a great trip. I've never been any place like Rangon before. Eye-opening, to say the least.

-We ate at two restaurants: one great and one terrible. Terrible was Monsoon. Pathetic. Rancid oil and just all around bad. Can't believe we made the mistake since many reviews accurately called it as awful. And the great hole-in-the-wall was 999 Shan Noodle. Very good noodles, and excellent vegetables (watercress and kale when we were there). This place is on 34th street and it not accurately positioned by Google or Apple Maps. It's about two blocks from Trader's. 8 entrees plus water and beer = $12US roughly.
I would differ. Spent my last day on a trip to Myanmar in Dec 2011 in Yangon and decided to walk into Monsoon for a lovely lunch after a walking trip of downtown. Here is my report
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...n.html#REVIEWS

I noticed that there are two camps of people with very different opinions about the restaurant. I happen to fall into the camp who love the place. Not sure if the quality has changed since I visited 1 year ago.

It was very interesting that they would take USD at Monsoon, but we used Kyats instead. Then we were counting on the amount of kyats left in our pockets before leaving the country and decided that we could only afford to eat at Aung Mingalar Shan Noodles that evening. It was a lovely experience having noodles for New Year's Eve dinner and watching the world go by. Please enlighten me - do they really serve Shan food ? The menu looks quite Chinese-inspired. We were even speaking to the owner in Mandarin Chinese - she is the daughter of immigrants from Yunnan province if I remember correctly. The food did not differ much from what we would have in Hong Kong/Mainland, but it was the chatting with the owner and watching people going about their routines that made the experience interesting/unique.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.